Choosing a Cell Phone Help?

NAIDANAC A

Car(s)
300E
So my dad without informing me until today signed up for another contract with Telus, and he says they are allowing me to upgrade my phone which is right now a RazrV3c...in other words crap.

Now, because of Telus' crap service I want a different plan that I myself am willing to cough up cash for.

1) I do not need a smartphone, but would like messenger on the go (if possible), as frankly I don't want to pay crazy data-plan prices.
2) If connecting to WiFi a possibility with any phones now? So instead of using data I could just connect through the schools internet.
3) A good camera would be nice, if possible.
4) Touch screen or not doesn't bother me.
5) I am guessing all phones now allow you to put MP3s on the phone to make your own ringtones...unlike how I had to hack mine <_<

Right now the only phone I know anything about it and I like the awesome camera that is in it. It says it can do instant messaging, but I am guessing you have to pay that seperately too? Sony Ericsson C905a
C905a

I don't want an Iphone, as frankly I can't afford it, an the only other phones I have looked at are the HTC Touch Diamond and Touch as I can't seem to find any Canadian retailers selling the HTC Hero yet. How pointless would it be for me to get a smartphone and not a data plan?

I am sorry for making another one of these threads, but I know how brutally biased and crap people are in stores, and phones were never my strong suit...gaming systems on the other hand <_<

I love my i900 Omnia 8Gb.

Since the 16Gb and i910 and so forth have superceded it since, you should be able to get a good deal on a used one by now, if that's a market you're considering.

Otherwise, one of the newer Omnias or if you want the best bang for buck IMHO, look at the Tocco Lite.

my Blackberry Flip has WiFi, pretty much works :p

iPhone, well yeah its a bit expensive i guess, whats your budget?

1) I do not need a smartphone, but would like messenger on the go (if possible), as frankly I don't want to pay crazy data-plan prices.
2) If connecting to WiFi a possibility with any phones now? So instead of using data I could just connect through the schools internet.
3) A good camera would be nice, if possible.
4) Touch screen or not doesn't bother me.
5) I am guessing all phones now allow you to put MP3s on the phone to make your own ringtones...unlike how I had to hack mine <_<

WiFi is a feature on quite a lot of high-end phones now. Most/all modern smartphones have it, as well as a lot of high-end dumbphones (is that a word?).

As for cameras, go for at least 3mp minimum. Autofocus and some kind of flash (xenon is better than LED) are bonuses.

Yeah, you can get mp3s on the huge majority of phones. Also, a good bet is going into a phone shop in Canada and just looking at the models available. A lot of phone selection is personal choice.

We'll of course make plenty suggestions though. What about a Nokia - N96 / N86?

I've seen the Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic for $250 but its a touch screen and if your like me, you will learn to curse at touch screens. Decent camera, MP3 player, and I think... WiFi. -Too lazy to look it up.

Cutting costs requires me to never get the Nokia N85 that I was looking forward to but that's a hefty $300-$350. It does have all those features you were looking for and way more.

Everyone tells me Nokias are good (I've only played with a really old one).

another thing on the sony ericssons, my screen decide to be 2 screens, i bit like clone if you are familiar with the dual monitor setup but crammed into one screen, thankfully a reboot got things back to normal.

The Sony C905A is a pretty good phone (I have it), however, check the fine print for the carrier: AT&T made me increase my data plan when buying it (some stupid rule) and I definitely don't pay <$35/month now (nor did I then). For some reason they made me pay for the unlimited text and data plan (which ended up being $5/month more, but still).

The camera on it is very good. The Gadget Show did a review of it and put it as the best entry-level camera phone. Also Instant Messenger (at least on AT&T) is included in the data plan, it simply uses the carrier's ISP. The phone also has a Walkman function which is just like any Sony Walkman, down to the menu screens. I had the headphone cable from my previous phone, but it doesn't come with the C905A.

To sum up, the phone is very good, but the carrier I'm on price gouges you when you buy it. I'd almost say it's better to buy a version from Ericsson direct, instead of from the carrier. The price differences do balance out after around a year or so.

Last edited: