Chris Evans [of the UK] - three-year Top Gear deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go watch some TG episodes from the early 2000s if you want an example of a boring car show. Its later success certainly wasn't announcing itself when they were still going on about the "Fastest Faith" or "Fastest Political Party".

and as always: Let's reserve judgement until we actually see a few episodes of TGs third incarnation.

Ah... but you have to switch your brain to the mindset of 2002 and 2003 and not to the mindset of 2015 ;)

One of the biggest mistakes people can do in discussions, is judging the past by the present. I call it the "Psycho" effect: People seeing Alfred Hitchcock's classic for the first time now, will never understand why it became such an icon. You have to set yourself into the mindset of 1960 to understand it. The same goes for Top Gear: In 2002 it was kinda revolutionary and new to let grannies do donuts or find out who's the fastest faith/political party/scifi-baddie. It were new ideas back then.

Also, in 2002 Top Gear wasn't meant to be the global success it became in the following years, it was just a tiny little BBC car show. To put it into perspective, just watch the episode where James May reviews the City Rover undercover - he isn't being recognized by the salesman at all. Why? Because back then, Top Gear was still under the radar of the general public awareness.

Top Gear really started to lift off, when the producers finally realized during the 4th (!) series, that putting all three presenters in one film and let them cock about and argue, is kinda funny. Before that, they were only together at the same time during the studio parts and all made their own films. That was already very good but not brilliant. Top Gear became the global icon and a masterpiece after the producers threw all three of the presenters together in the same film and sent them onto challenges and races. And it only worked because the relationship between the three was really genuine. Apparently they also talk privately with each other the way they talk and argue and bicker in their films.

You simply cannot create something artificially that happened by accident before. And that is the reason why the next version of TG shouldn't even try to imitate the old TG.

Last edited:
This is weird, but I drempt I was in the audience of epiosde 1.
We didn't know who the other presenters were, but they kept teasing James Martin who was on the stage amongst other z list scumbags. They never did pick him.

It's weird, because I will never watch this version of the show.

Subconsciousness can be a bitch ;)

For instance, whenever I dream of school, it's always my primay school. None of the other 4 schools I went to after that ever appears in my dreams. Or when I dream of living in a flat, it's always the flat my mom and I lived in from 1970 to 1980. None of the other 4 flats I lived in afterwards ever appears.

Don't ask me why my subconsciousness always brings me back to those places, though...

Last edited:
Telegraph is quoting the Sun and saying that Sabine Schmitz and Chris Harris will be joining the show alongside David Coulthard.

Describes them as "virtual unknowns". Yeah right. If you're a petrolhead you know exactly who they are. Still only rumour as this stage so take this news with a pinch of salt so big it's still buried under Siberia.

They're saying its Sabine and Chris Harris as the hangers on, I mean other 2 presenters.

I hate Chris Harris.

Dude, based on what you usually post here, you hate everything. :tease:

Chris Harris on Top Gear being Chris Evans' bitch. Like that'll happen in a million years... :rofl:

Surely that's bullshit. Too many bloody racing drivers. Other than Chris and Sabine racing I don't see any of them being interesting/entertaining together.

No way Sabine does well on the screen with scripted stuff, and Chris has taken the Loeb's fate - from everybody's favorite to yeah-yeah, who gives a fuck.

And if they are just special correspondent type of presenters, then the show will very soon find it's place next to the other dead could-have-been-interesting-but-something-was-missing shows.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as it's becoming a catch-all.

Let's make new threads for any rumors, etc. so they don't all get buried in here. :lock:

Status
Not open for further replies.