Chris Evans [of the UK] - three-year Top Gear deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I was pretty sure that the BBC would make an effort to keep Clarkson, Hammond and May in some form, very disappointed. I don't dislike Evans as such but I don't think he's a very good presenter for a show like TG.

RIP Top Gear. I loved you.

Will not be watching the new crap gear. Or was that flop gear. I forget.

On to a new era. But please don't call it house of cars.

I said Chris Evans would get the job, and I think he will do well. Knows his cars and has a way with words, which reminds me of a certain someone else. Sadly, as much as I like Guy Martin, I think the Beeb will plumb for him to join Evans. The third of the trio is likely to be female, and Jodie Kidd. Who has the personality of a broom handle.

Why do I have the feeling that Evans always wanted to do it.

He was, silently, my "favorite" for this job - favorite in that it was clear for me personally that he'd want to jump in for it as soon a he could... so no surprise.

Chris Evans is the only guy I could see fronting a decent TG team. That said, this all depends on the other two presenters and crucially whether they are able to develop some chemistry together. It took the old TG trio a fair bit of time to really become one cohesive unit.

If Alex Riley joins the show then I can't watch it. I'm with MWF except I'd have to use 12-gauge shotguns instead. I see somebody has vandalised his Wikipedia page to label him as a "comedian", although given he recommended the Triumph TR7 that might not be so wide of the mark.

Chris Evans is the only guy I could see fronting a decent TG team. That said, this all depends on the other two presenters and crucially whether they are able to develop some chemistry together. It took the old TG trio a fair bit of time to really become one cohesive unit.

If Alex Riley joins the show then I can't watch it. I'm with MWF except I'd have to use 12-gauge shotguns instead. I see somebody has vandalised his Wikipedia page to label him as a "comedian", although given he recommended the Triumph TR7 that might not be so wide of the mark.

So what about Jonny Smith, Chris Harris, Perry McCarthy or Ben Collins. Not so sure about Plato.

Whom ever it is, odds are they have worked with Chris before.

The only way this could work is if the TG format was changed. But the BBC is doubtlessly going to keep pushing the daft, scripted, over the top nonsense stuff because it sells to the reality TV watching masses and without the synergy of the Three Stooges the already hit and miss nature of the show is going to result it it likely being abysmal.

I don't even mind Chris Evans, he's no more of an utter cunt than Clarkson it's just a different flavour... Of cunt... Didn't think that analogy through really. Regardless, if they try to replicate what TG was previously it 'aint going to work, it'll be phoned in, forced and cringe worthy.

This guy slightly irritates me, but I feel like he could fill a James May-shaped hole relatively well.

James has an understated style and it seems like it's his genuine personality. He's probably the trickiest of the 3 to replace, in my opinion.

I'd miss Jeremy, but I would have watched anyone hosting alongside Richard and James. But no Hammond, no May, no me. I love the trio and the show too much to watch it collapse.

Well i hope it works out and becomes a good show, not too thrilled about Chris Evans but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I'm OK with Chris Evans. Though I would like to see James and Richard back in there, along with him. But presumably "all new" means "not including James and/or Richard." Obviously. So, the far bigger issue than Evans is going to be the other two folks. Maybe they'll bring back Tiff and Vicki. ;-)

I am laying bets right now that Clarkson will be a SIARPC at some point in the season (the finale?).

Am I the only one remembering the first few seasons of "new Top Gear"? That famous chemistry did need time to develop, as did the sterling camera and production work. Wouldn't it be only fair to give this new version of TG some time to mature?

Am I the only one remembering the first few seasons of "new Top Gear"? That famous chemistry did need time to develop, as did the sterling camera and production work. Wouldn't it be only fair to give this new version of TG some time to mature?
This, though not forgetting that James May didn't even start the show until the beginning of the second series.

You're right though it is only fair to give this new version of TG time to mature. The new team needs to have time to develop their own dynamic, only time will tell how successful they will be.

Hmmm...hated Evans back in the day on the telly, but always enjoy what I hear of his Radio 2 breakfast show these days. I think the format here will be the interesting thing- will they keep any elements of the old TG at all? The Stig, for example? If so, does he still get the 'Some say...' introductions? Will they still film at Dunsfold and continue the lap times etc? If they try anything on the lines of the challenges, I can't help but think that three different people titting about will seem forced, as it does (to me) in the foreign versions of TG.

I also feel a little bit that any version of TG that follows Clarkson and Co. is almost duty bound to fail, before the show can truly move on- but that's probably just loyalty to three blokes (and the production team behind them) who entertained me like nothing else, for years on end. Whatever happens now it won't be the same, and for that, I am genuinely saddened.

just listened to Chris giving his account: When he ruled himself out of presenting the show, it was because he didn't want to be a pawn in any sort of game involving three of his friends. He had been asked whether or not he might be "interested in having a conversation about TG if anything should happen" earlier, but it was only after Richard and James had given the final :no: to a return to TG that the BBC actually suggested having that conversation. That was last week. Before the Beeb made the announcement yesterday evening, Chris texted the TG3+1 and heard back from them (not sure if he said something about Andy), wishing him good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.