Chris Evans [of the UK] - three-year Top Gear deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
from that article:

Clarkson, who was sacked by the BBC earlier this year after assaulting a Top Gear producer, said: ?I had a meeting with a BBC executive last week and they asked if I?d come back to Top Gear.
(...)
He told The Sun: ?Too much has gone on. After I?d been compared to Jimmy Savile by someone from the BBC and it was splashed all over a Sunday newspaper, how could I go back?
So it's OK for him to deeply offend everyone under the sun and if he's criticised for it, it's a left-wing conspiracy to end free speech. But the moment someone at the BBC is (very) rude about him, the line has been crossed? :mad:

Last edited:
...and on and on it goes:

BBC denies Clarkson invited back to Top Gear

The BBC has denied it invited Jeremy Clarkson back as host of Top Gear, months after he was axed from the job.

Clarkson told the Sun, for whom he writes a regular column, that an unnamed BBC executive had "asked if I'd come back to Top Gear" last week.
It would already have been a shame if it had ended like this, but it certainly seems that there's a whole lot of tabloid drama still to come. :-( Probably best ignored... if that's possible.

from that article:

So it's OK for him to deeply offend everyone under the sun and if he's criticised for it, it's a left-wing conspiracy to end free speech. But the moment someone at the BBC is (very) rude about him, the line has been crossed? :mad:

I think there's a difference between the stupid shit Jeremy's said and him being compared to a disgusting pedophile by an executive with the company he works for. Huge difference. A vast, yawning chasm of a difference.

I think there's a difference between the stupid shit Jeremy's said and him being compared to a disgusting pedophile by an executive with the company he works for. Huge difference. A vast, yawning chasm of a difference.
...and how do you know it wasn't just some "stupid shit" said e.g. over a pint by that executive? This whole saga has become so full of he-said-she-said-now-look-what-you've-done that it's nigh on impossible to know what actually happened.

...and how do you know it wasn't just some "stupid shit" said e.g. over a pint by that executive? This whole saga has become so full of he-said-she-said-now-look-what-you've-done that it's nigh on impossible to know what actually happened.

Oh yes it is.

Note the wording: the BBC statement says "didn't offer a contract."

The unnamed executive was probably chatting with JC informally, finding out if he'd be interested in coming back. And JC was smart enough to realize that, if only because the TG critics at the Beeb had to salvage something from such a result, he would not be able to make the show without a great degree of high-level interference. (There've been news stories that the Cameron government was looking to increase OFCOM's powers, which would definitely affect TG production and curtail attempts at improv.) And so he said no.

Reactions: MWF

What's in the way of saying that Jeremy doesn't regret his actions at that hotel? You almost make it sound like he's proud of it. It was a regrettable action, but nothing like that paedophile did.

Note the wording: the BBC statement says "didn't offer a contract."

Well spotted.

Chris said he's meeting Jezza for pint next week

What's in the way of saying that Jeremy doesn't regret his actions at that hotel?
Nothing at all; it's speculation, but I can definitely imagine him being extremely sorry about it for many very good reasons - i.e. not "just" because it cost him his contract renewal.

You almost make it sound like he's proud of it.
Proud of what, exactly? He's made it clear that he likes causing a bit of controversy here and there, but I certainly don't think he's proud of causing the proverbial to hit he fan.

It was a regrettable action, but nothing like that paedophile did.
At this point, I'm really not sure who said what and how much of it can be believed.

I agree about not knowing what actually happened. It's gotten to the point where I honestly don't know who to believe. I think there's probably a lot of spinning on all sides.

At this point, I'm really not sure who said what and how much of it can be believed.
I agree about not knowing what actually happened. It's gotten to the point where I honestly don't know who to believe. I think there's probably a lot of spinning on all sides.
:mrgreen: Would have been nicer to be in agreement about better news, but still.

Rodd Liddle was rather splenetic in the Sunday Times:

Top work, Beeb. Your jalopy will go from 60m viewers to 0 in a trice

Hugely disappointed with the news about Top Gear. I genuinely hoped the BBC would have had the guts to remodel the programme along the lines that its overpaid, inept, liberal, white middleclass and largely male executives would have found more politically appropriate.

No cars in it, for a start -- vile things, cars. With the planet rapidly burning to a crisp and the polar bears howling in agony on their melting icebergs, it would be irresponsible to promote the use of these arcane gas-guzzling monsters. Who needs them in London, anyway? Make it about bikes. And get a couple of women to present the thing instead of horrible right-wing, middle-aged blokes. Preferably gay women of colour on bikes pedalling through sub-Saharan Africa and empathising with the many vibrant and yet beleaguered communities they encounter. Perhaps bringing them a goat or two -- I think the budget could stretch to that, no? I reckon that sort of show would really bring in the audience. Or, for a bit of fun, forget the bikes and have gay women of colour helping out on those boats we've sent to the Med to bring as many migrants as possible into the country. Maybe get them to administer first aid. I know we're getting a few strides away from the original idea of the programme but, hell, these are different times, are they not? But no, the BBC execs have eschewed this approach and with the eyes of the world on them, they have chickened out and gone instead for a Clarkson-lite approach -- in what must be a vain attempt to retain at least one in 50 of the programme's previous viewers.

They most definitely did ask Clarkson back -- but having been compared to Jimmy Savile he mysteriously decided to tell them to stuff it. Clarkson's replacement is the personable and gingerish Chris Evans. Evans does not have Clarkson's sharp wit, mordant and indecent humour or air of grouchy rebelliousness. He is, however, what the BBC execs came up with when they pondered: who is a bit like Clarkson (that is, white, male and middle-aged) but not as prone to dissing Argies? They are paying Evans the GDP of an Arab satrapy and are supposedly putting alongside him a nice lady, Jodie Kidd. Jodie is posh as hell, apparently likes cars and will be good for the totty factor, because she's quite fit. Sorry: you think that description is offensive? What else has she done, other than model and pout? There are female car journos, plenty of them -- Zoe Williams at The Guardian springs to mind. But the BBC wants to have its cake and eat it. Make sure a woman is involved, but also make sure she's a bit foxy. We'll deal with the lawsuit when we sack her for being old later on.

Top Gear is not an important issue, I grant you. I rarely watched it -- having no interest in cars -- and am far less likely to watch it now. So, I suspect, is everyone else. It was Clarkson's naughtiness that drew the vast audiences that the BBC now wishes to recoup. Fat chance.

Rodd Liddle was rather splenetic in the Sunday Times:
I get that the article is 99% satire, but he's dead wrong in his second to last sentence. Clarkson's naughtiness is not what built the show its audience.

Reactions: TC
I wonder if Chris Evans has ever been punched in the face

He must have been. He really, really must have been. Or he dodges very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.