Chris Evans [of the UK] - three-year Top Gear deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure Evans could work with someone who actually has an opinion of his/her own and can stand his/her ground, for that reason I fully expect the team to consist of unknowns.

Good news. Sounds a bit big headed that she turned down TG, sounds more like she got rejected.

Can't be long before TG have to announce the full team.

Suzi Perry is now saying rather than 3 presenters they are going with the gang approach.

Isn't that fifth gears mo?

What is fifth gears popularity level again?

I knew there was a reason the host had not been announced yet.

I don't know if Jeremy is going to be laughing or crying.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-to-be-broadcast-live-as-chris-evans-takes-over-from-jeremy-clarkson-10503424.html

The pressure on Chris Evans to give a knock out performance when he first presents Top Gear has risen ten-fold as it has been revealed the up-coming series will be broadcast live.

Previously, when Jeremy Clarkson and his side-kicks presented the hit BBC show, everything was filmed weeks in advance, with many shots going through numerous re-takes.

According to The Sun, the Radio 2 breakfast-show host believes broadcasting live will make everything "more exciting".

"Chris thinks his speciality is as a live broadcaster," Top Gear sources reportedly said. ?He always loved the buzz of TFI Friday going out live and likes the idea of bringing that to Top Gear.?

I thought that meant just the studio bits would be live; he's planning on doing everything live?! Yeah, that can only end well.

It must surely mean only the studio bits? The proper TG films take a long time to shoot and even longer to edit. And for shows in the winter the SIARPC (assuming it continues) would be lapping in the dark!

The Stig intros could be interesting given how often they had to overdub laughter in the past because the audience either didn't get the joke or didn't find it funny......

Also chatter in the Star about using experts like Mark Webber and Susie Wolf.

they really should consider doing a "SIARPC at night" featuring a '70s car with yellow-tinted headlamps. =p

and the star could be a minister of road safety, or Piers.

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/top-gear-will-unknown-chris-evans-be-the-shows-global-downfall/

I didn't know Jeremy and the boys from Adam the first time I saw tg. Liked it immediately. Don't think that would have happened with the dork they have fronting the show now.

Might be a smash hit, but add I have said before, I don't see it happening.

Maybe I should see who will do the show with him, but I must say, every time he gives a little detail, filming it l live?, doesn't make me have confidence in what is to come.

I am sort of wondering if they are having trouble finding people that want to work with him. In which case maybe the videos that were sent in may bear fruit. I really hope one of our guys gets it. That would be so great.

That strikes me as a load of fluff derived second hand from tabloid speculation and sensationalism.

Anything new about the new Top Gear?
Nope.
Can we make something up?
Maybe.
What's Evans up to?
He's going to an international TV conference.
That'll do - he's going there to raise his profile because nobody outside of the UK knows who he is...

As skylock said nobody outside of the UK knew Clarkson never mind May or Hammond. I appreciate die-hard viewers will be familiar with Evans from his SIARPC appearances etc but his stature outside of the UK won't affect things. It's how he is perceived once the show launches that will matter to a certain extent at least but I wouldn't say completely. I found Hammond and Clarkson became increasingly irritating in the last few years but I still watched the show religiously.

I think the content Chris Evans would deliver is going to be what would decide about the show's fate.

BUT...

What I am worried is that (at least most of) the viewers are expecting the quality which was provided by CHM at their best (and they expect it from CHM as well). And that, in my opinion, neither C. E. nor the boys would be able to deliver anymore. And, let's be honest, we expect it from both shows. Let's just hope that both would be good.

Last edited:
nobody outside of the UK knows who he is....

There is a quite famous Chris Evans outside of UK, there's going to be a lot of disappointed women watching the first ep of nu-gear.

Chris-Evans-image-chris-evans-36105395-1650-1464.jpg

maybe UK-Evans will try and cash in on Cap's international stardom?

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top...top-gear-wont-use-same-three-presenter-format

Chris says some bullshit about Top Gear's new format being a one man show nothing.
Half way through the article I started to feel dizzy like I did that one time I listened to his radio show and he was playing with the volume that made me want to punch him right in the face.

I can't believe this isn't getting more discussion. So, what was the point of auditioning other people, then?

Is this is smart move, claiming (as he is) to avoid mimicking what came before, or is this the result of an out of control diva who can't play well with others?

Top Gear is not a show that can be fronted by one person, it never has been and there is no reason to think it can now. There is a reason that they have sold the three presenter format around the world and that's because it works. More personally I and thousands of others out a lot of time and effort into writing and filming audition piece son the promise that there was a chance one of us might be lucky enough to get a chance to work on the show we love so much and ten weeks or so on from the closing date we get this. Even Clarkson for all his bombast and ego wasn't deluded enough to think he could carry the show on his own.

That said if you re-read more carefully it does say that it's a one man thing currently; I doubt very much I've it will remain that way, partly because I don't believe it would work but also because the burden of responsibility would be far too great for any one person to shoulder on their own.

Way to piss on all the hopefuls Chris.

This how is probs going to be a disaster. I can't wait to see it.

This is like a 5-year old pouting when no one will play with him. "Well, I didn't want to play with them anyway. I'll do it all by myself. So there." Just needs a picture of him sitting on the curb with his bottom lip stuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.