Chris Evans [of the UK] - three-year Top Gear deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the photo of Chris Evans... His teeth are almost as bad as Jeremy's.

Hilarious? Worrying more like. You can't build an awesome theme park from scratch, you have to build it up gradually and early visitors will be in for massive disappointment which will get into the press and tarnish the brand. I guess they must be thinking about taking over a section of an existing operation but even then unless it's really good it won't work.

TG as a brand is gone, before the 3 it was just another mediocre car show and it'll be exactly that yet again. How many car shows in the world are actually worth watching, I couldn't think of any at all so it's not about WHAT it's about, it's about HOW it's done and what made it worthwhile is now gone. I'm not a TG fan, I'm a fan of Clarkson and May and now that those are gone I'm just another bystander looking at what's left of TG, going "lol" and as such I find it hilarious.

Besides, what would they actually show?

- "look at these things that remind you of old, now gone, top gear"
- "I'm Chris Evans, please worship my massive ego"
- "this theme park is about yet another average car show, like there are 100s of in the world, please be entertained by the mediocrity of it"

It'll cost a ton of money, fail and shatter both the BBC's as Evans' reputation and egos. As a bystander I'll "lol" at that, it'll be hilarious.

Go watch some TG episodes from the early 2000s if you want an example of a boring car show. Its later success certainly wasn't announcing itself when they were still going on about the "Fastest Faith" or "Fastest Political Party".

and as always: Let's reserve judgement until we actually see a few episodes of TGs third incarnation.

Just out of idle curiosity, wasn't Chris Evans going to release the names of the new presenters before filming started today?

He mentioned that some 'secrets' would be revealed on his show today, so presumably, yes.

Guy Martin is also on with him this morning to plug his book- I love Guy, but hope it's just a coincidence...

I know this is not really on subject, but I watched TFI tonight. It flys right in as the second worst show I have ever seen. Second only to hellivator. I am not saying there are not worst shows, only I have never seen them.

Anyway, my question is, is that show really popular?

Chris for me is like nails on a blackboard. I thought I would check out his version of tg, but I think I have changed my mind. I don't think there is anything he could ever do that I would be able to stand to watch.

It wouldn't have been too bad if he were diluted with co-presenters but since it is looking increasingly like it's going to resemble TFI in that it will revolve almost totally around him I'm not holding out a great deal of hope.

I'm the "let's wait and see" guy, but I do agree that so much of Three Stooges TG depended on there being three of them... not one. I'm not saying that the number of the counting shall be three, but one does seem troublesome.

Once again, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. You all seem to forget that Clarkson made segments that did not include the other two presenters.

Once again, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. You all seem to forget that Clarkson made segments that did not include the other two presenters.

They all made segments that didn't include the other two presenters, but a good part of the best of the show was the three of them knocking around together. But to be honest, IMHO, whether Evans is solo or has 1, 2, or even more co-presenters, it's not going to be the same. It would be tough to match the chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond, and May have. That's what made TG such a success.

"Wait and see" is fine and all, but for an hour long program, if you tire of one host... what then? I dislike some of Hammond's segments but if I don't like some of Evans', there is no second person to fall back on. Some eps of TG had crap segments but the episode was still okay because someone else did something else. At least 2 hosts would've still been fine, as much as this isnt the CHM TG anymore I still want a good show that works, since it doubles the amount of that kind of show for me, and this just sounds like a bad idea.

They all made segments that didn't include the other two presenters, but a good part of the best of the show was the three of them knocking around together. But to be honest, IMHO, whether Evans is solo or has 1, 2, or even more co-presenters, it's not going to be the same. It would be tough to match the chemistry that Clarkson, Hammond, and May have. That's what made TG such a success.

Once again. It isn't going to be the same, Evans stated that many times. You will get "the same" on Amazon Whatever.

I don't necessarily mind if it isn't the same as long as the quality is there. Right now that is the biggest unknown but with everything we are hearing this seems less and less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.