Christmas food for a subtropical weather

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
FinalGear hivemind!

In an unforeseen victory, I convinced Rebeca NOT TO roast a Turkey for Christmas this year, because fuck that. It will probably be 35?C inside the kitchen, we don't need an oven to make it even hotter. Also, it will be icky, humid and not really the best weather for greasy, rich Christmas food.
With that said, now I have a task: make Christmas food that is more fitting to this weather.
We reached a middle ground: She still wants Christmas ingredients, or at least something that gives that Christmas feeling, but without all that roasted, hot steamy stuff.
I was thinking of doing eggnog ice cream, for example. A cold potato salad instead of mashed potatoes.
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

PS: "Move to a country that is cold during Christmas" is not an acceptable answer, unless you are also providing a job. In that case, I will be forever grateful. :lol:

I know quite a few families who follow the classic German tradition of having Vienna Sausages and cold potato salad on Christmas eve, so you instinctively did something right already :p

I know quite a few families who follow the classic German tradition of having Vienna Sausages and cold potato salad on Christmas eve, so you instinctively did something right already :p

Good to know.
I'll use that argument. Thanks. :p:lol:

You should deep fry a turkey outside, redneck style. That's never gone wrong for anyone before, has it? :D

Oh, you said you didn't want greasy food. :p

Last edited:
You should deep fry a turkey outside, redneck style. That's never gone wrong for anyone before, has it? :D

Oh, you said you didn't want greasy food. :p
:lol:
You cheeky bastard.

It would be fun, but I am not willing to clean up the mess afterwards.

Didnt you have sous vide equipment?

Brine the breast(s), cook at desired temp, finish on BBQ? BBQ'ing sprouts or cabbage is also really nice.

Having deep fried several turkeys, they aren't greasy, but there's is the issue of ridding of several gallons of peanut oil.

The diesel engine was first run on waste peanut oil.

Would be ideal to do something like a Danish christmas lunch, but I'm quite sure some of the things are impossible to get in brazil and not sure if you'd like it all, some of it really is an acquired taste.

You should deep fry a turkey outside, redneck style.

You think that is redneck? My uncle used to dig a pit in their backyard and bury a turkey with hot coals in the ground and it would just bake down there all day. Then they'd dig it up and eat it. It was like a redneck luau or something.

Last edited:
Didnt you have sous vide equipment?

Brine the breast(s), cook at desired temp, finish on BBQ? BBQ'ing sprouts or cabbage is also really nice.

Yes, I do!
I already decided on cooking the turkey sous vide, I just didn't decide on everything else.

The diesel engine was first run on waste peanut oil.

I don't have a diesel and I can't have one because of reasons.

Would be ideal to do something like a Danish christmas lunch, but I'm quite sure some of the things are impossible to get in brazil and not sure if you'd like it all, some of it really is an acquired taste.

Well, tell me anyway!

You think that is redneck? My uncle used to dig a pit in their backyard and bury a turkey with hot coals in the ground and it would just bake down there all day. Then they'd dig it up and eat it. It was like a redneck luau or something.

Geez...:lol:

I want to try this! Sounds tasty.

This.
It is hard to cook, but when properly done, it is fantastic.

Thanks for the link!
I'll watch it later.

I knew people that did that, but replace the turkey with a whole pig.

It's a Christmas tradiition in our family to have a meat fondue with broth on Christmas Eve. It's neithee greasy, nor is a dirty kitchen involved, since the cooking is done at the table. Basically you simply make a broth, pour it into the fondue bowl and let the guests do the rest. All you need is this:

serveimage

And some lean meat (chicken breast, fillet of pork or beef, shrimp, etc) cunt in thin slices, as well as some veggies and mushrooms and a variety of sauces and breads. Here's a picture I took a couple of years ago:

3123989390_7b0fefba90_o.jpg

But of course Christmas only feels right when it looks like this outside:

7435988686_c5b1b93dfb_o.jpg

7435980004_b6e217883f_o.jpg

Last edited: