Clarkson on the Audi R8

Btw; The official Sport Auto Supertest time for the Audi R8 on the Nordschleife is 8:04, so it just misses the 'eight-minute-barrier' despite it's sport tires and carbon brakes... For a reference the standard Porsche 911 Carrera S (355 hp) has recorded a time of 8:05, the GT3 on the other hand did a 7:48. Just for fun though, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage did an 8:03.

That's a pretty amazing time for the V8 Vantage there, I'd never guess it to be in the same "region" as the R8 or a Carrera. Anyway, I'm confused. This is what Jeremy has to say about the R8 on page 186 of the Oct. issue of TG magazine:

We waited for the R8 for years, and when Audi's alleged Lambo arrived we all wanted a drive. Then we quickly decided we'd take a proper Lambo over this any day of the week.

So does he love it or not?? Which is it man?! :lol:

^Well, according to his blog, quote: "Audi has pulled such an absolute blinder that I'm looking at my new Gallardo Spyder and wondering if there's some sly way I can get my money back." He loves it!

Looks like his baby lambo is gonna be replaced soon.. any takers? :lol:

^Well, according to his blog, quote: "Audi has pulled such an absolute blinder that I'm looking at my new Gallardo Spyder and wondering if there's some sly way I can get my money back." He loves it!

Looks like his baby lambo is gonna be replaced soon.. any takers? :lol:

I reckon he should buy an R8, but not to replace the Lambo, but to replace the SLK.

Just a thought. After all, he's already got one convertible :)

Yup, I think that too... I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's gonna get one. But maybe next year, when the V10 model is out. Well, when it works properly and not going up in flames anymore :thumbsup:

Yup, I think that too... I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's gonna get one. But maybe next year, when the V10 model is out. Well, when it works properly and not going up in flames anymore :thumbsup:

Looks like they're back on track.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-r8-v10.html

Yes please. How super is a car that makes you look a tw*t, has an engine in the wrong place, breaks down all the time, and you can't even use for most of the year? Give me an R8 over Lambo, Porsche or (gasp) Ferrari anyday.

Yes please. How super is a car that makes you look a tw*t, has an engine in the wrong place, breaks down all the time, and you can't even use for most of the year? Give me an R8 over Lambo, Porsche or (gasp) Ferrari anyday.

How super is a car that makes you look like everyone else, has an engine in the "right" place, has the reliability of a Honda, and you can use it all year round! Wow now that is a supercar....or shall I say an econobox?

Yes we should all listen to Clarkson when he preaches that supercars should be quiet and useful and practical and easy to manuver....because after all that is what supercars are made for...right? And of course the car that goes around a track the fastest is the clear winner....just like we learned in the movie Cars.

harharharhar!!!

Sorry but Clarkson is way off on this one. The fact is: the Audi R8 is not a supercar; it isn't even a great sportscar, albeit it is a good sportscar for those in the upper-middle management position looking for some refreshing mid-life crisis prescription.

How super is a car that makes you look like everyone else, has an engine in the "right" place, has the reliability of a Honda, and you can use it all year round! Wow now that is a supercar....or shall I say an econobox?

Yes we should all listen to Clarkson when he preaches that supercars should be quiet and useful and practical and easy to manuver....because after all that is what supercars are made for...right? And of course the car that goes around a track the fastest is the clear winner....just like we learned in the movie Cars.

harharharhar!!!

Sorry but Clarkson is way off on this one. The fact is: the Audi R8 is not a supercar; it isn't even a great sportscar, albeit it is a good sportscar for those in the upper-middle management position looking for some refreshing mid-life crisis prescription.

Well, I'm struggling to find your definition of a supercar in all that - but I don't think a car that just goes fast in a straight line or wears a particular badge qualifies it. And yeah, for me, a car would need to be quiet and comfortable, manoueverable and be able to handle a range of road conditions without comprimising it's performance.

But it's all a matter of opinion. But of course - if Audi don't know how to make a supercar, where does that leave Lamborghini?

There seems to be some prevailing view that a 'real' supercar should be noisy, completely unpractical and do gallons to the mile. And not necessarily much faster than many tuned 2 and 4 door saloons, in a lot of cases. As long as it looks like a penis extension with a certain badge on it, that seems to be good enough for a lot of people... and good luck to you.