Classic or Crock

It's the first FWD Volvo and therefore it should be denounced as the first in a series of wrong moves, but popups! Three-door hatch! Hrrrrrngh.

Crock. I agree with Labcoatguy regarding the popups. but I'm pretty sure that is the only thing that it has going for it.

281rhxj.jpg
"What the hell is that thing, a Renault?" probably means it's a classic, albeit in the same way that a Nissan Figaro is a classic.

It's a stylish Volvo from an era when their styling department had lost their flexicurve, it's a three door shooting brake (Reliant Scimitar anyone?*), it has pop up headlights and it harks back to the Jensen-built P1800ES.

Definite classic.

*Princess Anne had one of those, don't you know?

It is a classic, a unique-looking, extremely '80s design with Lotus involvement. The only demerit is a shoddy build quality, but that doesn't detract from classicness. Of course, at a 1986-87 build date it's a bit fresh.

I'm stil on the fence between classic and crock myself, but I'll give this one to MWF.

Oh god the shitposts that I could make in this thread.... :lol:

23vAjYF.gif

I'm stil on the fence between classic and crock myself, but I'll give this one to MWF.

Thank you. In this case I give you the Ford (Merkur) XR4i.

images

Not a great car by any means, but there was something about them and fast Fords have a dedicated following in the UK so.....

Classic, it's the only car from that category from that period that I still remember (and remember it well enough to know you're missing a 'T' XR4Ti in the name for the Merkur version)

Last edited:
Yeah, but y'know I thought two pairs of parentheses in one sentence was overkill. ;)

I'll give this one to Lev just to keep the momentum going.

We all have at least a somewhat soft spot for the El Camino and maybe even the Ranchero. Well, what about a modern version? The 03-06 Chevy SSR had a 6.0L LS2 V8 with 400hp, RWD, a manual, and it was a hardtop convertible pickup. And yet... it was heavy and the looks wouldn't earn it a spot in a Trump pageant.

chevrolet-ssr-photo-5300-s-429x262.jpg

Crock, and it always will be. It doesn't know what itself is. So it tries to be so many things, yet somehow failed to be good in every single categories. And while the El Camino and Ranchero were similarly useless, they do at least look good and in some variation even better than the car they were based on. The SSR is just crap. It's interesting that GM came up with it, just not in a good way.

Well, while ugly cars can be classics, this one is not one of them, because its ugliness is only generic American bubbly car design from the 90s ugliness. So: Crock.

Retro casserole gone wrong: Add one part parts bin, one parts vaguely old-timey styling, and a heaping dump of GM IDGAF. Crock.

I'd say classic just because of how unique it is combined with the fact that they gave it a not terrible powertrain as an option. Its a 50s hotrodders dream build, straight from the factory.

Thanks. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

The last descendant of the mighty Ur-Quattro. Currently worth jack shit. Far too new to be a bona-fide classic, also still far too common to be proper cool. Can its lineage save it?