Classic or Crock

I'm in the classic camp, though I don't know much about them I like the lines and I think it is a car that will have a following.

Classic: it's one of those everyday cars that seem to have vanished, even with Toyota's legendary reliability. Of course, there are still grandfather-spec ones driving around, but 4AGE ones were always rarer and they got beaten up early. If a Mk1/2 Golf can be a classic, so should this.

Take it away gaasc, you bring up a good point about it less ditch-finding than the overhyped hachi roku.

porsche-normal.jpg

A Porsche you say? This should be easy. Be wary reader, for this is not a Porsche 911. This is a Porsche 912E. This is the real Porsche with the van engine.

It was created in 1976 to bridge the gap between the 914 and the 924. Underneath the gorgeous 911S body, which entices with promises of a 174-horsepower flat-six, lies an 86-horsepower 2.0-liter engine straight out of that T2 you see on the right lane of the freeway, driven at its top speed of 50 by someone with a handlebar mustache and a straw hat.

Very interesting. This falls into a category similar to 6-cylinder pony cars: do low-power versions of obvious classics also count as classics?

Technically it was created in 1965. It was reintroduced as the 912Epurely for the US market in 1975-6 and sold for a little over a year.

It is still a classic simply because it is the original 911 shape and while that form has changed little over time the simplicity and cleanliness of the lines mean it will always retain its original charm.

I was sort of on level's viewpoint but then I thought about it again - I think it is just a good way of getting a pure driving experience, even back then, for quite a little amount of money. Yes, it's slow. But I reckon on a tight and twisty road this car must be quite fun, even though sound-wise it's missing two cylinders. It's a proper driver's car without requiring a proper big wallet.

Yes, bus engine. Yes, beetle. But a more aerodynamic beetle with a much more sophisticated chassis. I'd rather have a good chassis and low power engine than the other way around.

Plus, for the house wife that back then wanted an expensive looking car for going shopping, but where the husband didn't want to spend a lot of money on it, this was the best choice. :lol:

Reactions: MWF
If it makes a great driving experience more attainable then more power to it.

As the adage goes, it's more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.....

Crock. All show, not enough go to be entertaining, not even for the timeframe.

I like the diversity of the responses. This is a car to which I have no strong feelings one way or the other. The Original 356's were also built with Beetle engines so the 912 is not even a betrayal to the concept of the Porsche. I will have to give this one to Mitchi, as I think he nailed what most of these were bought for anyway :p

Okay then. Didn't really knew what to choose, but then I came across this: A certain Toyota Corolla with the chassis code AE86. Known through real-life touge and drifting scenes in Japan, made famous by the anime Initial D.

But what has once been a very cheap light rear-wheel-driven sports coupe is nowadays an icon that costs an arm and a leg. Worth it or just completely overhyped?

impulse-kouki-levin-ducktail-te37v-ae86-dot-net-1000x664.jpg

3.jpg

I think it's gone the way of the E30 M3: able, iconic car that's had so much hype bestowed to it that its value no longer reflects the car's abilities, only the car as a phenomenon. It should not be forgotten that it's a Corolla hatch with a 1600 engine making, what 125 horsepower?

There have been gorgeous Corollas but this isn't one of them. It's all style and no substance. The Celica A20 hits the AE86 out of the park. Now that is a classic Toyota coupe.

8709959142_2205394662_b.jpg

This is quite a tough decision but I am gonna give this to public as he mentioned the E30 M3. A car which cost 15k in a good example just a few years ago, and now you'd easily pay 75+ for the same car. As much as I like them - for what?

Prepare yourselves, because it's:

31042033-770-0@2X.jpg

THE DODGE NEON ACR

31042046-770-0@2X.jpg

31042051-770-0@2X.jpg

Homologated by the SCCA, the ACR (for American Club Racer edition) was available as a coupe or sedan. Stripped down of creature comforts like air conditioning or a stereo, the ACR was literally a race car you could buy in the showroom. All you needed was to bolt in a roll bar and harness and you were ready to go.Available as a Dodge or Plymouth (the Neons sold under either banner were essentially identical save for a few special editions here and there), the sedan featured the 132hp SOHC 2.0-liter mill and the coupe completed its laps with the 150hp DOHC engine under its hood. All were powered by a unique five-speed transmission with closer-spaced ratios than the standard cars.
Other speed equipment included fatter anti-roll bars front and rear, adjustable shocks and a four-wheel disc brake package that made do without the anti-lock system normally included with the option. With faster ratio steering and less sound-deadening material, the stripped-down Neon proved a hit with SCCA racers. Even without A/C, the ACR models got the cooled Neon?s larger radiator to better cope with the stress of driving flat-out on the track.

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/12/04/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1994-dodge-neon-acr/

Articles were produced by the Japanese Press about how the Neon was going to usurp Japanese models because of their high horsepower, high content (standard features) and extremely low price. At a time when the Corolla produced all of 115 horsepower, the Neon produced 130 horsepower and was extremely lightweight. These cars were FAST, not just fast for their price range but FAST.

I love these things, even if we didn't get the ACR here. The Neon, to my eyes, looks great, as it's a low car with a low center of gravity and cutesy 1990s design that manages to be simple. There's literally none of the grimacing aggressiveness that is foisted on every car in the 2010s. The Neon is an economy car from the time when they didn't have to be loaded with fripperies to sell, or look about 175% as tall as they needed. Manuals are rare despite the no-cost automatic option being a three-speed Homonirizon (...) unit, so obviously I'd go for a stick-shift Neon, trying to get it as close as an ACR as possible.

I find the Neon more interesting than the E30 and the Miata combined. It's edging closer to Rallye Peugeots in interestingness.

Last edited:
It's lipstick on a pig. Once a crock, always a crock.

Pepping up one of those is like drizzling truffle oil onto a Happy Meal.