Classic or Crock

Classic. The Neon was unique, some would argue ground breaking - it looked pretty different from the somewhat boxy styling of other domestic compacts + had some assembly and design innovations that promised a reliable car at relatively low manufacturing cost.

Not to mention driving dynamics that were near or at the top of the class, alongside Civic.

Sure, one could just get the Civic, but the Neon was more interesting, IMO.

I find the Neon more interesting than the E30 and the Miata combined. It's edging closer to Rallye Peugeots in interestingness.

You my friend need professional help

:cry:

Although ugly, ungainly, and now cursed by Rick (as if it needed any help), I'll vote classic. It's the Shelby Omni GLHS of the '90s and the last competent handling small Mopar we got.

I would say it's currently at "or" stage.

It could be described as a crock because it was based around humble Golf mechanicals and became purely a fashion accessory for so many of its buyers regardless of their gender.

At the same time despite its part bin heritage it was actually not a bad car to drive, some of the blown ones were seriously quick and with its Bauhaus inspired looks will almost certainly go down as a design icon.

It will be a classic, I just don't it has quite got there yet.

Classic. Very unique and truly eye-catching shape, AWD, decent power output. The TT bridged the gap between boring Audi sedans and expensive Porsches. The early cars had a reputation as widow makers and we all know that those are cool on a sort of primal level (think 996 GT2).

Classic. I really cannot say why exactly. But it's one of those car I think will definitely become a classic.

Maybe it's the fact that Audi was audacious enough to put what was essentially a concept car, a gorgeous looking concept car, into actual production without much change. Even though it's based on a Golf, even though I have irrational dislike for this era VW. I always think that the TT is one of those car that we will one day look back and think "That car was the shit! Why didn't more people save them?"

All good points, lads. I agree with all points above and I remember it causing quite the stir at car shows. Most of them are trashed or rapidly approaching their expiration dates, damn if they don't look good. Almost like a German Alfa :)

This was a tough one to call, but I'll give it to MWF, as it's on the cusp of becoming a classic.

Gentle folks I present to you the Fiat X1/9.

7244733.jpg

US readers will know it as the Bertone X1/9 which gives a massive clue to its design heritage. It succeeded as a budget, nid-engined sports car where the Porsche 914 failed and in spite of its humble mechanicals was a hoot to drive. Sadly most of them have succumbed to the dreaded tin worm but look hard and you will find a good example. I'm biased because my best buddy from my teens had several (always upgrading) and I have very fond memories.

The floor is now open....

Classic, Not just because I wrote about it, but because it is the culmination of decades of trickle-down from racing cars and exotics to where you could have your own new Italian mid-engine sports car.

Reactions: MWF
God no, in it's day it was only bought by girls and idiots, and now every single surviving one is riced to death like all small Honda's....

First Gen CRX is really the only one in that family deserving of beeing called a classic, just because it was briliant in it's day and despite suffering the same fate as the Del Sol.

its greatest mistake was being called a CRX instead of a Civic Cabrio. I saw a mint one on Baltimore back when I was there and it just looked right parked in front of a high-rise with its shiny red paint glowing in the sunlight.

I still wouldn't call it a classic though.

A really nice one will some day be called a classic. It will take a lot longer for that to happen, than with the earlier generations, though it's probably easier to find one of these for a better price in a nicer condition. These have always been too dainty to rice, except if you're a really weird guy.

Crock. At least here they didn't dare call it a CRX for fear of angry Americans going to Torrance and burning down their US HQ, but it wasn't even as good as a regular Civic. The del Sol was heavy, slow (in fact its nickname is "del Slow"), it invariably leaked even if you never took the roof off, it looked goofy, was impractical even for a roadster and it wasn't really even fun to drive.

- - - Updated - - -

its greatest mistake was being called a CRX instead of a Civic Cabrio.

They *didn't* call it a CRX here. It still didn't help.

- - - Updated - - -

These have always been too dainty to rice, except if you're a really weird guy.

I have never seen a stock Del Slow. They are always owned by some backwards hat dude, in three different shades of primer and lowered way too low. Crock.

Pretty much this. I haven't seen a stock del Slow in years. I think any survivor that's not still in the hands of its original owner is probably riced by now.