Cobalt SS, Impala SS, Pontiac G8. major problems?

Mazdaspeed cars FTW.

I'd take a 6 over the 3 though just for the AWD. These cars are exactly what you're looking for, so I'd suggest checking some out.

Mazdaspeed cars FTW.

I'd take a 6 over the 3 though just for the AWD. These cars are exactly what you're looking for, so I'd suggest checking some out.

yah, i dont how i forgot about the Mazda3 hatchback (1 hate the sedan >:D). problem is, whenever i search craigslist for the 3 or 6, it ignores the number so it ends up just searching mazda >.>

Mazdaspeed cars FTW.

Yes, look at the MS6. My dad has one and its fantastic fun.

Out of the three... Cobalt SS. Sure some people complain about the quality, but it really is the best performance/value you can get right now.

Just a couple of words of advice if I may. First, don't buy a car to impress others. Buy one that will impress YOU. Other people won't have to pay for it or live with it day after day.

Second, you're discounting a great number of cars just because they are foreign or made before 1995. The cars you have it narrowed down to are, frankly, cars for people who don't know anything about cars. The money you're talking about will buy a nice used BMW and they drive much, much better than anything you're considering now. Others to consider may be a Toyota Solara (sporty 2dr version of the Camry), Honda Accord 2dr coupe (similar to the Solara), etc. The Mazdas mentioned above are also good cars.

Third, have you thought about a nice classic car as a daily driver? $10K will buy a pretty decent '66-'69 Mustang that is fun to drive, looks cool, and is easy to work on and get parts for. Just an alternative if you haven't thought about it.

Go drive some of these cars first before discounting them altogether then get the one that YOU really like driving, not the one that your friends will go "Ohhhhh!" over.

Last edited:
The money you're talking about will buy a nice used BMW and they drive much, much better than anything you're considering now. Others to consider may be a Toyota Solara (sporty 2dr version of the Camry), Honda Accord 2dr coupe (similar to the Solara), etc.

So how is a G8 drive much worse than a older BMW? I am just going by what all the reviewers said and how it was a fantastic car and has handling of what the Camaro should've had.

Also...how the hell is a Toyota Solara better than a Cobalt SS. The SS were always fun cheap cars, the Solara is such an ugly beast, not to mention I can't see the sporting aspect of that car minus the 2 doors.

So how is a G8 drive much worse than a older BMW? I am just going by what all the reviewers said and how it was a fantastic car and has handling of what the Camaro should've had.

Also...how the hell is a Toyota Solara better than a Cobalt SS. The SS were always fun cheap cars, the Solara is such an ugly beast, not to mention I can't see the sporting aspect of that car minus the 2 doors.

First of all, I'm not going to argue with someone who hasn't driven both cars. Try them both out and get back to me.

Second, we're talking about long term usage. All cars drive great when they're new (like when the reviewers get them). Lets look at them and drive them when they get, say, 100,000 miles on them and see how they compare. After all, he's talking about getting a used car here, not a new one. Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs will hold up much better over time and mileage than a Cobalt or Impala will.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not going to argue with someone who hasn't driven both cars. Try them both out and get back to me.

Second, we're talking about long term usage. All cars drive great when they're new (like when the reviewers get them). Lets look at them and drive them when they get, say, 100,000 miles on them and see how they compare. After all, he's talking about getting a used car here, not a new one. Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs will hold up much better over time and mileage than a Cobalt or Impala will.

I wasn't saying Impala, as it is junk to begin with.

I drove both the G8 and the Cobalt SS/SC. Which both had pretty great feel to them. I liked the G8 better than our new CTS. I haven't driven a Solara, so that was what I was questioning. I also own a 92 300E, so I know how Germans hold up better (if taken care of).

The G8 is a good car, no argument there, but it's above the OP's price range. It's too bad that GM killed it, and it's UTE and wagon counterparts that they get to enjoy down in Aussieland as Holdens. More proof that GM (at least the US arm) doesn't know what it's doing.

I also agree with you about the German cars "if taken care of". My 400K mile Golf is still rattle free and runs/drives like it was new, but it was also well taken care of. I just don't think a Colbalt would make it in the same shape after half of those miles. I tend to think "long term" as you can probably tell.

I've driven both the Accord coupe and the Solora and they're both great. My son owns a 2000 Solora 4-cylinder and while it's not a race car, it's still a good car even with over 100K miles on it. If the OP finds one with a V6 he would have a good performer AND reliability all in one package. They even offer it in a ragtop version if that's his thing.

Last edited:
I agree Impala is a joke. I sell GM's and it is a damn joke. I agree with " NAIDANAC A" with buying the Mazdaspeed 3 for sure. I f you want a 4 door you can buy an '03 EVO (just beware).

I agree Impala is a joke. I sell GM's and it is a damn joke. I agree with " NAIDANAC A" with buying the Mazdaspeed 3 for sure. I f you want a 4 door you can buy an '03 EVO (just beware).

right now, im mainly looking at a cobalt (not SS. insurance would be insane for me) or a '06-'09 Honda Civic.

Get a Honda Fit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... i hope your not serious. IMO, that car is a joke. i would never get one of those

The Cobalt is terrible, unless you're getting the turbo or supercharged one, the 08 and up or whichever one C&D just tested in that massive shitshow where it spanked the STi and Evo. You're young, you're not going to keep the car for more than a couple years anyway, so who gives a shit about long-term reliability. That being said, I'd nod towards the Civic if you want a daily driver. I turn a consistent 38-40mpg in mine, albeit mostly highway commuting. Resale is going to be higher than any GM product. You don't need to feed it premium. If you've gotta have a RWD car with power, its going to kill you insurance-wise. But if so, I'd point to the Mustang and aforementioned GTO, but you won't likely find a Goat in your price range. You can get all your criteria with a Mustang 'vert too, and a decent one for around $10k. Who gives a shit if they're "common" - they are so for a reason - they're a great car. And don't pre-judge live axles until you've actually driven it; people piss and moan about them all the time, even though they've never driven one anywhere near the limit where you would even notice the difference between a solid rear or IRS. If it really bothers you, just get a Cobra with the latter.

I do plan on replacing my live rear end on my MG (thought mostly due to that fact it is also leaf sprung), but I drove a '97 Mustang GT for years. I doubt you will notice the live rear end.

I do plan on replacing my live rear end on my MG (thought mostly due to that fact it is also leaf sprung)

Sacrilege! I knew your suggestions on the first page would be MGs and the like when I read 'carb'. I've read this whole thread and I'm like a fish out of water, never driven any of those cars and haven't really seen them. the only thing I'm sure about is that I wouldn't buy any of them.

/Useless reply.

I test drove a Cobalt and a G5 when I was shopping. For the price, they're not bad at all. It had enough power, god good gas mileage, and was comfortable if a bit small, with a usable back seat. Plus, they come in yellow!

in case anyone still cares, i'm not considering any of these cars anymore. G8 is WAY out of my budget, Impala is a shitty car and insuring a 19yo male on a car with a supercharged or turbocharged engine will not be cheap. im looking at a regular cobalt or 6th or 7th gen civic (2001 to now). i'm really just looking for a small car, good gas milage, manual transmission and a decent selection of aftermarket parts