Coffee!

I have found Illy 'Instant' coffee to be almost as good as any Americano from a coffee chain such as Starbucks, Costa, Nero etc... Try it, you might be surprised. Silver cans about a fiver from the supermarket. 90% instant (freeze dried I guess?) coffee, 10% ground coffee. That is all from me. :p

- - - Updated - - -

That said, you can't beat Small Batch (small but rapidly growing independent coffee shops) for a decent Americano.

Last edited:
I don't use paper or cloth as a filter, I use a very fine sieve. The advantage is that it let's through more of the ethereal oils, which adds to the flavor.

The downside is that you need extremely good coffee and that you need a coffee grinder where you can adjust the grinding.

vS9zmq4.png

to contribute to the thread at least a little: at the office I've been drinking rather horrible filter coffee for ages now. I feel like I'm getting used to it... not good, not good at all...

vS9zmq4.png

to contribute to the thread at least a little: at the office I've been drinking rather horrible filter coffee for ages now. I feel like I'm getting used to it... not good, not good at all...

If you drink coffee from an office filter coffee machine, you basically drink overroasted industrial coffee with a lot of acidity in it. It will eat away your stomach one day :p or it'll give you allergies because coffee machines in offices are never being cleaned right and mould settles inside in no time :p

However, it could be worse: You could use instant coffee powder or - even worse - coffee from a vending machine. That stuff is basically made from leftovers and the stuff they swiped off the floor in the plantation, including twigs and everything. And that is not an exaggeration, I mean it!

Enjoy your coffee :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Enjoy your coffee :mrgreen:

That's the thing, I'm actually not. It's just... there. If you know what I mean? It exists, it is coffee (well, technically at least), I drink it. I'm trying to steer myself towards tea more and more, but that doesn't quite work for some reason.

So I want to get my fianc?e a nice coffee/espresso machine for graduating from medical school/starting residency. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Mr. Coffee ECMP1000 with great interest, until I realized it can't make plain coffee, only the fancier drinks, so that's a no go. My parents have a Gaggia 90501 and its really nice, but it is a bit pricey.

I was looking at the Mr. Coffee ECMP1000 with great interest, until I realized it can't make plain coffee

seriously?
who wants a coffee maker that can't make coffee??

seriously?
who wants a coffee maker that can't make coffee??

Exactly! I went through the owner's manual PDF online, but it doesn't seem like it can do just coffee. Everything says "espresso, cappuccino or latte." Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, so I asked the manufacturer a question on their official site. We'll see.

I did just find this Q&A on Amazon, but I'm a bit confused with the answer

Can you make a regular cup of coffee with the me coffee barista
Yes you can, I am an expert on commercial coffee machines and I have to say that this little machine is really not bad. Not to be compared with one of the big ones like Saeco but what comes out, can be strong and pretty good. Only thing it is a little messy but that is the handle system. It is certainly a step towards the big ones until one can afford it.
You can make a regular cup of coffee by using the double filter and let it run two cycles with the same powder. or the single filter and one double cycle. If you want a stronger one press the coffee powder good in the filter but careful not too much and not too high so that the filter has problems going in its place.

EDIT: Another one

does it make a regular coffee
It can do that by putting a larger cup under the 'spigot' loaded with a double shot of coffee and pushing the double espresso button for two runs (thereby pushing more water through one "shot" of coffee grounds). You would control the strength by the amount of extra water you push through the "shot".

EDIT2: Even more confused
RucsE30.png

Last edited:
Well, easy: the device isn't designed to do regular coffee, so the manufacturer says no. However, some customers have figured out you can just push the espresso button multiple times while using the same grounds, thus ending up with "basically a regular coffee" :dunno:

yeah, a regular coffee is just a watered down espresso...

but in the morning, i also would want my coffee with a single push, i don't want to construct it!

yeah, a regular coffee is just a watered down espresso...
Heavens, no. The pressure used to make Espresso makes a huge difference in the taste. Water one down and, as MXM said, you'll have an Americano, but that is not at all the same as regular filter coffee.

Also why I put the quotation marks... The watered down stuff might look like a regular coffee, but it really isn't.

ok, then i prefer americano to regular coffee! :D

i heard the term americano before, but had no idea what was the difference!

I learned about it in Korea, from an Englishman, which is kinda of ironic :D

Aeropress roughly makes an Americano, I guess. I usually pour a bit of more water in it to get it to filter coffee strength, but it's in no way weak-tasting.