College Football. Does anybody watch?

OSU could beat LSU. Alabama can beat LSU. Hell, Oregon could beat LSU. But Oregon and Alabama had their chances and lost. A rematch is only a viable option after all other contenders have been eliminated.

Of course, all this bullshit would go away if there was a proper post-season and ranking system.

Do you think Oklahoma State is the 2nd best team in the country?

IMO only the Tide has shown they can beat LSU. And I believe this to be a widely held opinion, maybe even among many of those voting OSU #2.

No, the Tide showed they can play with LSU. And OSU can't prove they can beat them until they play them. There's a reason they're a 1-loss team and not sitting at 6-6.

You should be thankful you're in a bowl you can probably win. The bottom line is that only LSU is undefeated, and Bama is the only other team without an embarassing loss. There's a clear #1 and #2 and no one else is even close.

I don't see how losing in double OT on the road in a short week the day after an Athletic Department tragedy is an "embarrassing loss". I also think OSU could beat LSU, but we'll never know and that's sad for college football.

Do you think Oklahoma State is the 2nd best team in the country?

I know that wasn't addressed at me, but yes OSU should be number 2 in the country. I don't buy all this our loss was better shit because our wins were better. OSU was 7-1 vs the top 30 Alabama was 3-1.

IMO only the Tide has shown they can beat LSU. And I believe this to be a widely held opinion, maybe even among many of those voting OSU #2.

The Tide haven't proven anything...other than they have a terrible field goal kicker.

Edit: I'll also add that Alabama is in the game because they are "Alabama" which is horse shit and why college football is a sham.

Last edited:
I know that wasn't addressed at me, but yes OSU should be number 2 in the country. I don't buy all this our loss was better shit because our wins were better. OSU was 7-1 vs the top 30 Alabama was 3-1.
Don't you mean 7-0?..as Iowa State is clearly not a top 30 program. OSU losing to the Cyclones is the equivalent of Bama getting beat by Vandy.

Don't you mean 7-0?..as Iowa State is clearly not a top 30 program. OSU losing to the Cyclones is the equivalent of Bama getting beat by Vandy.

Yeah sorry 7-1, the stat was compiled before ISU lost to KSU and fell out of the top 30. Also Iowa State would murder Vandy.

No, the Tide showed they can play with LSU. And OSU can't prove they can beat them until they play them. There's a reason they're a 1-loss team and not sitting at 6-6.

Reason #1 that pops into my mind is that they are not in the SEC West.

Oregon showed they could play with LSU? Really? In the weeks between that game and the USC loss, the Ducks averaged a (no bullshit) 29-point margin of victory, and I was so thankful LSU had been their season opener. Otherwise we'd've been hearing week after week about how they're the real deal this year, a true SEC-killer.

That said, Oregon never lost to an unranked team (USC does not count as they are "unranked" by fiat).

I don't see how losing in double OT on the road in a short week the day after an Athletic Department tragedy is an "embarrassing loss".

Fair enough, that's not a bad excuse, as excuses go. And IMO the voters have been forgiving; OSU is the only team still in the top 5 with a loss to an unranked squad. Forgiveness/mitigation is one thing, but ignoring poor perfomance to hand out a title shot is a whole 'nother animal.

Edit: I'll also add that Alabama is in the game because they are "Alabama" which is horse shit and why college football is a sham.

This is just wrong.

My bracket happened in chronological order and it was showing that Alabama had its chance....at home and lost. The BCS had the chance to be fair to 2 teams (LSU, OSU) and unfair to one (Bama) and they chose to be unfair to two teams (LSU, OSU) and fair to one (Bama).

Last edited:
Oh, well excuse me then. I foolishly decided not to omit a trivial detail like a team's loss instead of focusing on the truly important cherry-picked properties like chronological accuracy.

The regular season is not a playoff, and just can't be treated (or visualized) as such. No matter how we try to do that, the inescapable conclusion is to crown LSU champion no matter what happens in any bowl, period (and some commentators are seriously making this argument). Rematches are a (wonderful) part of a playoff anyway.

BTW, I don't think it would be unfair to Alabama to leave them out of the title game. But it's not unfair to OSU either. I admit the second-chance title shot is something of a "windfall" for Bama but for OSU it would be like rising from the dead. Your phoenix pic does strike me as appropriate.

Here?s how it would look this season. All the other bowl games would continue as is; nothing would change there. But this would be your Jan. 2 schedule:

1:30 p.m.: Orange, No. 2 Alabama vs. No. 3 Oklahoma State.
4:30 p.m.: Rose, Oregon vs. Wisconsin.
8:30 p.m.: Fiesta, No. 1 LSU vs. No. 4 Stanford.

Is that a day of football you might be interested in?

On Jan. 9, the winners of the Orange and Fiesta then would meet in the Sugar Bowl for the national title.

I like it. Here's how it could have looked last season, to accommodate deserving teams that were barely edged out:

10p7rpe.jpg

I keeeeed, I keeeed.

Seriously I'm all for the Plus One, and don't think the SEC doesn't want a playoff too. They've been burned by the BCS before.

A simple four-team playoff would have ended over 90% of the bickering during every controversial season I can remember. This is exactly what everyone thought they were doing a few years ago when the BCS added an extra game a week after the others, only to do a spit-take when we found out it was "just another bowl" with no connection to them.

Last edited:
MERRY BOWLMAS, FINALGEAR! :bunny:

Baylor just got its first bowl win since I was in first grade. Remember the Alamo Bowl! Haha. And holy crap, what a bowl that was--high scores on both sides and a pretty even match, IMHO.

I WANT TO GIVE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE THE BIGGEST HUG RIGHT NOW.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Ugh, I'm so glad this nightmare season is finally over. Other than the promise of a new coach next season it's been nothing but bad news, disappointment, and frustration for the last twelve months. The bowl ban for next year isn't helping my outlook either and it really does feel like getting kicked while you're down after all the program did to apologize. I guess "sorry" isn't in the NCAA's vocabulary.

A team that was supposed to be a national title contender before the season even started is now the laughing stock of college sports and all because of some fucking tattoos and jerseys. It pisses me off so much! After the Maurice Clarett hi-jinx of a few years ago you would think Ohio State players should know better than anyone not to pull that kind of shit. Those five players betrayed their team mates around them who work so hard and the countless fans around the world who support them. I'm still surprised they weren't all immediately kicked off the team.

Here's hoping for a better 2012 but after ending with a losing season, going just 3-5 in the conference, and dropping a game to Michigan it honestly can't get any worse. At least they won't embarrass themselves in a bowl game again...

Considering all the money pumped into the system already, I think one of the more viable ways to do things would be to have the four BCS bowls serve as quarterfinals. Then in mid-January you can have a couple semi-finals and then a final.

Still don't think the BCS or NCAA would go for it though. The current system makes too much money.

Speaking of BCS bowls, I went to the Fiesta Bowl last night. Was a pretty good game. Stanford's kicker is probably under suicide watch.

Did anyone watch how WVU humiliated Clemson last night 70-33? Someone told me that was the highest ever score in a college football game. Not sure if it's true.

But this picture is hilarious:
388658_10150566470836672_764816671_10630072_268270493_n.jpg

It was the highest score by a single team in a bowl game.

20 more total points were scored in the Alamo Bowl a week earlier:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313630239

If not for that game, the Orange Bowl's total 103 would have broken the record for points scored in regulation.

The previous bowl record for a regulation game was 102 total points set in the 2001 GMAC Bowl between Marshall and East Carolina. That game went to double overtime and ended with a combined 125 points -- which still stands as the overall bowl record.