Comparison : Premium convertibles

bone said:
6 series :woot:
pure sex :bow:

x2

janstett said:
M6 = If BMW made the f-body (too big)

The 6 does look big because of its styling, but in reality it's not a terribly big car.

BlaRo said:
bartboy9891 said:
The XLR costs too much for what it is (pay an extra 50K for what is essentially a vette??)
It's not a 'Vette, it just happens to share a platform. What, car companies can't share platforms, especially GM? Who the hell wants an Audi then, seeing as all of those are just glorified 1974 VW Transporters?
its the same platform, and the Vette is a much better sports car, looks a little better, sounds better and only costs half as much. Sure they arent exactly direct competitors, but if i had to choose between the two i know which i'd pick.

911 all the way! The 6 series in convertible form isn't my thing...and I have loved 911s since...well, always!

Byte said:
911 all the way! The 6 series in convertible form isn't my thing...and I have loved 911s since...well, always!
Since you own a 6-Series (coupe), I presume you prefer it to a Carrera coupe, right?

But why when the roof is off, do you prefer the Porsche?

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Byte said:
Since you own a 6-Series (coupe), I presume you prefer it to a Carrera coupe, right?

Quite simple: Here in Switzerland, the 6 series is a rare car, but 911s are more common that VW Golfs. They just have a real plonker image to them and appear too bleak in the cities. I know that they are great cars and just excellently made and everything (I have driven some already) but in terms of exclusiveness and practicality the 6 series wins hands down.

With the roof fown I prefer the Porsche for two main reasons: looks and engine sound. The BMWs V8...as nice as it is...is too silenced to be a nice convertible engine.

Byte said:
Byte said:

Quite simple: Here in Switzerland, the 6 series is a rare car, but 911s are more common that VW Golfs. They just have a real plonker image to them and appear too bleak in the cities. I know that they are great cars and just excellently made and everything (I have driven some already) but in terms of exclusiveness and practicality the 6 series wins hands down.

same here, i think i see 100 porsches for every 6 i see

None of them actually.

At the highend I like the Maserati Spyder and lower down I like the Merc SLK 350 or Z4 M.

Or at my pay level, what I own which is an MX-5.

Although I don't know if I would want a more expensive convertible car than an MX-5, because if I am spending that much they would be a lot faster where having a fixed roof would be more noticeable. I used to say the most expensive roadster I would want is an S2000, but with the new MX-5, I would rather have the MX-5.

Byte said:
Byte said:

With the roof fown I prefer the Porsche for two main reasons: looks and engine sound. The BMWs V8...as nice as it is...is too silenced to be a nice convertible engine.
Ahh I got ya. That nice that you weren't biased or anything considering your a 6'er owner :)

In Australia, both those cars are rare if I'm honest. And I'd agree with you that the 911's noise is better as the V8 BMW is more muted in comparison.

3Colin said:
I think, for C&D, including the Caddy in this company is already an honour. They weren't mean on it though, performance-wise the Corvette underpinnings mean it can run with the group in the twisties. Basically like the Corvette, if you're performance-minded over luxury and comfort it's your car.

If you're performance minded? No manual tranny available (sad); versus the Z06 heavier (3800 vs 3100 lbs), more expensive ($100k vs $65k), and less powerful (443/414 vs 505/500)... Uh, why would you choose the XLR-V over a Z06 let alone those other cars????

I wanted to like the XLR-V but it's a tosser in my book.

flyingfridge said:
janstett said:

The 6 does look big because of its styling, but in reality it's not a terribly big car.

I want to love this car, but:

3900 lbs
191 inches long
73 inches wide
109 inch wheelbase

The last (2002) f-body:

3500 lbs.
193 inches long
74 inches wide
101 inch wheelbase

I was pretty close... The M6 is roughly the size of an F-body, and 400 pounds heavier. Too big, too heavy :)

I hate convertibles, but if I were to choose I'd get the XLR-V. Shitload of power, and the looks are pretty far from feminine (as well as far from ugly), which is rare in the convertible world. Then there's the handling, which is pretty darn fun from what I know, and also the sound it makes when you get on the pedal. It might not be the most refined, or the most luxurious, but fuck, I drive a Ford Taurus, like I really care lol.

Power, theatre, styling, rarity... Caddy FTW.

janstett said:
flyingfridge said:
janstett said:

I want to love this car, but:

3900 lbs
191 inches long
73 inches wide
109 inch wheelbase

The last (2002) f-body:

3500 lbs.
193 inches long
74 inches wide
101 inch wheelbase

I was pretty close... The M6 is roughly the size of an F-body, and 400 pounds heavier. Too big, too heavy :)
Yeah you're right, they even mention it in the article that it "feels heavy". But TBH, a couple of these cars are, as Jeremy Clarkson would put it - "...heavy ol' hectors". Its just a matter of which cars can pull off feeling the lightest and most agile which the Mercedes and Porsche do quite well. The Jag apparently feels light (because it actually is), but not necessarily agile.

skaternick said:
It might not be the most refined, or the most luxurious, but fuck, I drive a Ford Taurus, like I really care lol.
Haha! I love you're brutal honesty :thumbsup:

Byte said:
Byte said:

Ahh I got ya. That nice that you weren't biased or anything considering your a 6'er owner :)

In Australia, both those cars are rare if I'm honest. And I'd agree with you that the 911's noise is better as the V8 BMW is more muted in comparison.

I don't see the point in being biased towards something I don't really like, just because I have something similar.

Just this morning I was at the dealer again and they had the Z4 M convertible there. Now THAT is a premium convertible! That thing basically is sex on wheels. Adorable engine sound by the way! Can't wait to take it for a spin... :mrgreen:

Byte said:
Byte said:
Byte said:

I don't see the point in being biased towards something I don't really like, just because I have something similar.

Just this morning I was at the dealer again and they had the Z4 M convertible there. Now THAT is a premium convertible! That thing basically is sex on wheels. Adorable engine sound by the way! Can't wait to take it for a spin... :mrgreen:
Sweet car but not much in the way of luxury, which really define these cars.

I'd pick the 911 for sure. I always get excited when I see a Porsche (especially a convertible) and it never get old.

My least favorite is the BMW because everybody buys them around here.

I agree with the list except I would flop the Jag and the Caddy.