Compile your own best TG to actually be worth a 10

Tzarrim

I'm always amazed at how people rate TG episodes, there's a lot of people who give them 9's and 10's while the shows were decent at best or actually rather average (or as in 14x4's case; poor).

I probably won't make friends with this but I'm going to state it partly has to do with the whole rep system, so it's arsekissing for rep, or rather not being objective because of being afraid of negrep. Whether the whole repping system keeps out the trolls who keep us from having meaningful discussions or people being so "afraid" of outing their opinion because of negrep they stay quiet is probably for some other thread.

Anyhow, back to the scoring system; As said I'm amazed by people giving high grades so I tried to figure out which episode I'd give a 10 and couldn't think of one (apart from Antartica and Africa specials, but those aren't "normal" episodes). So, in turn I tried to find segments of episodes, then cut&paste them together into the "ultimate" TG which, if possible, I'd then could give a 10.

So, a normal TG has a first car review, news, possibly a second car review, SIARPC and then some cocking about, road trip or similar. Compile your own "best of the best" into 1 show, if at all possible please do elaborate on your choices.

Here's mine;

- fiat 500 Abarth by Jezza, it conveys the emotion and fun in driving a cool car, regardless of it being costly or not.

- news: the christmas one with the nissan Z shirt and other stuff but mostly because of those Lambo baubles JC really wanted which the boys then obviously destroyed. Cocking about at it's best

- bentley brooklands review, because it's awesome and very well done.

SIARPC: Joanna Lumley, because she was fantastic, witty, entertaining, has a love for cars and she has no problems with voicing her opinion, perfect TG match.

Long bit; HAS to be the Robin Reliant space shuttle bit

If an episode would have had all of those, THEN I'd give it a 10 because all the part were fantastic, if even 1 part would be less good it wouldn't be worth a 10, now would it. Lets hear yours :D

There are quite a few in my head, but a couple that come straight to my mind are:

The stretched limo episode :)lmao:'d a lot)
The Nissan GTR vs Bullet Train episode
11x06
14x03

It's called subjectivity. Not everyone is going to like the same episodes as you. Not everyone is going to use the same criteria to rate an episode as you. Just because you liked an episode very much and would give it a ten doesn't mean I will do the same; and just because you think a certain episode was crap doesn't mean I'm going to think the same.

I'll borrow both yours and Lurker's lists for a moment.

Fiat 500 Abarth ~ This I did like; but it's not a review I'd give a 10/10. I think Jezza's done better in that department (BMW M5 (6x09), Land Rover Discovery (5x03) are a couple I thought were much better.)

10x10 news segment (Christmas gift ideas for 2007) ~ One of my favourite segments as well, especially the shirt.

Bentley Brooklands ~ I've not watched S11 very much (mainly because I've not d/l'ed it and burned it). I didn't remember this review. After watching it on the 'Tube...I'm still not very impressed. It seems like something that would be more suited to a road test than a track test, to me. Plus, again, I've seen better from Jeremy. Also, if you want to talk reviews of a car like this, James's review of the Bentley Flying Spur (6x10) or of the Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead (10x03) were, IMO, much more memorable and interesting.

Joanna Lumley (SIARPC; 5x03) ~ I did enjoy her time on there very much; I will readily admit to that. (In fact, I think I watched her segment online at some point before I started acquiring episodes.)

Reliant Robin Space Shuttle ~ Some excellent cocking about with James and Richard.

9x06 (stretch limos) ~ This ep, and the one before it, I found a bit tedious, the stretch limos bit especially so. I think the producers wanted to rush the completion of it so they'd have another long film with the trio cocking about (something S9 was quite heavy on -- probably their way of sticking it to everyone who said that TG should've been canceled or seriously neutered after The Crash).

11x04 (race across Japan) ~ The only S11 episode that stood out for me! Loved it. (Also: that sexy Alfa Romeo 8C!)

11x06 (TG vs. D-Motor) ~ A bit on the so-so side, I thought.

14x03 (caravan airship, lots of Lancias) ~ The only downside to this episode was no Lambo lap.

And now, for my picks...

* 7x03 (supercars in France)
* 7x04 (cheap supercar challenge)
* Polar Special
* 10x09 (24-hour BritCar race)
* 11x04 (race across Japan)
* 12x02 (American muscle cars)
* 12x06 (Caterham vs. Veritas, Commie cars, Jeremy's "sensible" Ford Fiesta review)
* 12x08 (Vietnam!)

04x05 is an older standout for me, the MG ZT review is a very big favourite!

In no real order; 07x03, 03x01, 03x02, 04x03, 06x02, 07x04...

whichever the one was with the DB9 race + Lotus vs helicopter

I don't know the episode number but one of my all time faves was the first Nurburgring one with JC in the diesel Jag. 10/10

10x03 full stop.

It is all about the rep yes.

I voice a true and honest opinion, and whaddo I get? That's right a negative rep!

Honestly :rolleyes:

yes, and now you're banninatorz'd

The episode where Clarkson race a Mercedes SLR across Europe against May/Hammond.

Also a similar episode with a Bugetti Veyron.

The BMW M5 review is pretty good as well. (Clarkson bashed the car until he pushed the M button.)

My TG episode would have the original ?100 cheap car challenge, James' Zonda test, Jeremy's TVR Sagaris Vs Corvette C6 and Jimmy Carr as the SIARPC.
Stuff which nearly made it includes Jeremy in the Clio V6, the original amphibious car challenge, both the car football matches and Vantage/911/M6 on the IoM.

Actually come to think of it, season 10 was the best season.

So if you're going for overall seasons I'd give season 10 a 10

It's called subjectivity. Not everyone is going to like the same episodes as you. Not everyone is going to use the same criteria to rate an episode as you. Just because you liked an episode very much and would give it a ten doesn't mean I will do the same; and just because you think a certain episode was crap doesn't mean I'm going to think the same.

Fair point but that was never my intention anyway, I have no issues/illusions of grandeur where I feel that my opinions are the best and only. But I AM questioning people's motivation to grade abnormally high, especially on this thing called the internet where the f*ckwad theory really shines. Someone said about 14x04 that he found it rubbish and... gave it a 6. Rubbish in my eyes is a 3 or 4 tops.

Mind you, I'm not into numbers or think that it's actually important but for the sake of discussion (what a forum is for) it would be handy if people were at least somewhat logical and objective, if only about their own subjective ideas. If people grade 14x04 as a 9 or a 10 then WTH are they going to have to grade the polar special... 25?

What meaningful dialog could there be with someone who rated something good/decent/mediocre and class it as a full 10. It's like trying to have a conversation with someone going "I like turtles!". It just doesn't work :)

Fair point but that was never my intention anyway, I have no issues/illusions of grandeur where I feel that my opinions are the best and only. But I AM questioning people's motivation to grade abnormally high, especially on this thing called the internet where the f*ckwad theory really shines. Someone said about 14x04 that he found it rubbish and... gave it a 6. Rubbish in my eyes is a 3 or 4 tops.

Mind you, I'm not into numbers or think that it's actually important but for the sake of discussion (what a forum is for) it would be handy if people were at least somewhat logical and objective, if only about their own subjective ideas. If people grade 14x04 as a 9 or a 10 then WTH are they going to have to grade the polar special... 25?

What meaningful dialog could there be with someone who rated something good/decent/mediocre and class it as a full 10. It's like trying to have a conversation with someone going "I like turtles!". It just doesn't work :)

You're getting too picky with numbers.

I thought 14X04 wasn't great - I believe I called it a performance by a cover band - but I gave it a 7. Why? I rank things like a teacher grades papers, and 7 is roughly equivalent to a high 60s, low 70s. You are using a completely different ranking system than I am it sounds like, instead using the full scale with 5 as an average, am I correct?

I've never thought being picky about numbers really added much to discourse, and you're really effectively saying that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, stupid, and not worth talking to, which isn't exactly a good conversation starter either.

I gave 14x04 a 6 and said it was awful because it was in a way. It didn't feel like a good Top Gear episode which to my mind is a 6 or below.

However my reasoning is that it was at least mildly entertaining. I'd rather watch that episode than any of the episodes of "Dancing with the stars" for example.

If the trend continues and they continue to decline in quality to a disappointing point, I will most likely start giving lower ratings. It all depends.

They have 2 weeks to come up with some fresh stuff for the next episode so I still look forward to it.

07x05; That was hilarious! :lol:

Jeremy "Whats that?!?"

Hammond "Thats eeehm..."

Jeremy "Thats a Tooth-witening-kit!"

*laughs*

Hammond "Thats a ,,Plunch'', Thats a ,,Plunch''!" :lol:

And then the News with the christmas-presents, when Jeremy smashed a Dieselwarner with a hammer and that when we should get rid of the cars and go by cows! :lol: :lol: :lol:

whichever the one was with the DB9 race + Lotus vs helicopter

4x01.

I don't know the episode number but one of my all time faves was the first Nurburgring one with JC in the diesel Jag. 10/10

5x05.

The episode where Clarkson race a Mercedes SLR across Europe against May/Hammond.

Also a similar episode with a Bugetti Veyron.

The BMW M5 review is pretty good as well. (Clarkson bashed the car until he pushed the M button.)

6x06, 7x05, 6x09.

Hammond "Thats a ,,Plunch plant!'', Thats a ,,Plunch' plant!" :lol:

Fixed. :)

tzzarim said:
but for the sake of discussion (what a forum is for) it would be handy if people were at least somewhat logical and objective, if only about their own subjective ideas. If people grade 14x04 as a 9 or a 10 then WTH are they going to have to grade the polar special... 25?

I agree with 2Billion. You're essentially saying that you know better than everyone else and that anyone who doesn't use the same rating system as you, or doesn't agree with you about a certain episode, is an idiot.