Computer boots for a second, and then shuts down

johns13193

Car(s)
Dad's Civic, Moms '02 Toyota Sienna (deer proof)
Today I re-applied the thermal grease on my CPU. All went well, I used a small blob in the center, then reinstalled the cooler. When I went to boot it up, it started, the lights lit up, hard drives/fans spun for about a second, then it shut itself off. It didn't beep at all.

I then proceeded to take it apart completely, check the motherboard for obvious damage, and reassemble it to the minimum components (Mobo, CPU, RAM, keyboard), and then fully, to no avail.

Some Google searches led me to think that it's the power supply, so I went out and bought a 500w Antec earthwatts, but that has failed to solve my problem. I'll prolly be keeping this PSU, its pretty awesome, but any reason for my computer to not start?

I'd say the most likely problem is with the motherboard. Might be the CPU or memory, but the motherboard is more likely.

Could be a grounding issue, you unplugged something and connected it backwards. Easiest thing to do now is tear down the whole system, including the motherboard. Then put it all back together.

I've had instances where a screw has gotten between the case and motherboard, it happens to the best of us. ;)

Well, i took out everything, and just tried to run the motherboard w/ the cpu and ram out of the case, and it still didn't work. My guess is that i've messed it up somehow, maybe with static or something.

So for a new one, I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128364), since it'll work with the ddr3 ram I have. Any opinions on this?

EDIT: I tried running it without the mounting cover on, and it worked. What should I do?

Last edited:
Well, that didn't work. Does this mean my CPU's dead? or is it my motherboard? btw thanks for all of your help, anyone who has responded.

Well, i tried that with the GPU and nothing came up on the screen, leading me to believe that it wasn't even plugged in right (it does the same thing w/o a cpu at all). the only thing touching the cover is the CPU itself.

edit: should I try and put some paper in between them, or is that just an easy way to set everything on fire?

Last edited:
Wait so it works when the CPU isn't secured? Check the pins and the connectors. Putting paper in between is a bad idea. It will burn.

The pins look fine, but heres a hi-res pic anyway. i had to adjust one, but it seems to be okay now.
DSCF0558.jpg