Computer refuses to boot

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
For some reason my desktop is refusing to boot. When I turn the power on, the fans and all that other stuff starts to move but there is no boot sequence or and beeping noises. It doesn't even show the Asus boot image thing that you usually get. In fact, you don't get any display at all.

PC Spec:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Asus A8N-E Mobo
Asus Geforce 6600 Vanilla 256MB
Seagate 250 GB HDD
1 GB PC3200 RAM

Strip away every peripheral until you see different behavior (e.g. beep code). I'd start with the graphics card if you have onboard.

Or do it the other way and just strip out everything that isn't necessary to boot up the OS. If you still get nothing then you might want to reset the BIOS (should be jumpers on the mobo for this).

Screw the OS, he can't even get to the BIOS. I say graphics first because he gets no picture, is it possible that it is booting behind the blank screen? Hard drive activity? Do the fans slow down after a bit? (they often start at 100% then slow when the BIOS loads)

@victor - The fans appear to run at a constant speed. Unfortunately, taking out the video card didn't change anything. Do you think that it this is possibly a PSU issue?

I don't buy ASUS boards for that reason. I had two boards do this and they were toast. You can remove everything except power and then look up and find the reset jumper. Switch the jumper and power it on. It won't do anything, but resets the board. Put the jumper back the way it was and try to power up again. If that don't work you may need a new board. This problem always happened with AMD processors. Could also be the processor that fried

@mcrouch - I tried to reset the jumper and it appears to be working fine now. There are 3 pins. Originally, the jumper was set on the first two pins. However, when i set the jumper to the last two pins, the CMOS is reset and the computer boots up fine. Should I put the jumper in the original positiion or should I keep it like this?

edit - Okay the computer now has the same problem. I'm starting to think that its a motherboard issue :(

Last edited:
Put the jumper back, I have no idea what will happen if you leave them permanently in the 'reset' position :lol:

In fact, do the whole cycle one more time, just for kicks. Since it worked temporarily it may be that leaving it in that position messed it up (or you may have gotten lucky once and just have a hardware failure).