Confusing Audi/VW engine lineup

Avalange

Hi everyone!

I've got some questions concerning the engines of VW/Audi. Their lineup has become ridiculously complicated.

1. The 4-cylinders:

There's the 1.4 TSI from VW, you can have it with 122, 140 and 170 hp. Is it the same engine as the Audi 1.4 TFSI with 125 hp?

Has the 2.0 TFSI from the Golf GTI, Audi A3 etc. sth to do with the old 1.8T or the new 1.8 TFSI? Also, there's a new 2.0 TFSI with 211 hp coming in the A4. Is it the same as the GTI 2.0 TFSI?

2. The big engines:

Is the V10 of the S6 and S8 (5.2 FSI) related to the Gallardo 5.0 V10?

Some say the 5.0 TFSI with 580 hp in the new RS6 is another completely new engine. Is that true?

Hi everyone!

I've got some questions concerning the engines of VW/Audi. Their lineup has become ridiculously complicated.

1. The 4-cylinders:

There's the 1.4 TSI from VW, you can have it with 122, 140 and 170 hp. Is it the same engine as the Audi 1.4 TFSI with 125 hp?

Yes, VAG currently have just one TSI engine, in different levels of tune.

Has the 2.0 TFSI from the Golf GTI, Audi A3 etc. sth to do with the old 1.8T or the new 1.8 TFSI?
Yeah, it's their new 1.8T - the reasonably frugal mid-range muscle of the lineup. The 1.8TFSI is a new engine that supposedly has a shitload of torque.

Also, there's a new 2.0 TFSI with 211 hp coming in the A4. Is it the same as the GTI 2.0 TFSI?

Yes.

Is the V10 of the S6 and S8 (5.2 FSI) related to the Gallardo 5.0 V10?

No.

Some say the 5.0 TFSI with 580 hp in the new RS6 is another completely new engine. Is that true?

There's no such thing as a completely new engine - everything's an evolution of something that came before it. Whether it shares parts with the one before it is irrelevant.

And the basic blocks for the 2.0 and 1.8 date back for years, just look at the cubic capacity, 1984cc and 1781cc.

The old 1.8t and the new 1.8TFSI are basically the same engine, I just read something, and the new 1.8tfsi is 1794cc, hence I suspect ir really is a whole new engine, the new one has direct injection and only 4 valves though, but is way better. A lot less turbo lag and such.

To finish answering, the 5.0 TFSI is a turbo version of the 5.2 V10, only debored for durability. They also did that back in the days of the 2.7 V6 turbo and the 2.8 N/A V6

Basically VAG has a few basic block designs, they just screw different accesories to them and they have a new engine.

The 1.4 is the same in the Fabia, Octavia, Polo, Golf, A3, Jetta, and others, the difference is in injection, turbo, supercharger (on top of the turbo), FSI, and other things.

Same thing as the 1.8 and 2.0, and in fact the 2.0 was developed (a few years back though) from the 1.8, they also debored it to make the 1.6.

Confused?

Last edited:
The old 5 cylinder engines were a VR6 minus one cylinder, the new 2.5 is half of the one found in the big Audis.

Someone told me that the 1.4l 3-cyl diesel is pretty much the 1.9 with a cylinder lopped off. Is this true?

The old 5 cylinder engines were a VR6 minus one cylinder, the new 2.5 is half of the one found in the big Audis.

Actually it is based on the Lambo V-10... not an exact copy but bery similar. From what I udnerstand the stroke is different and the heads are WAY different. On a side note, there are going to be some very nifty turbo kits out for the new 5 cylinder in short order and then things are going to get really interesting because a turbo'd 5 cylinder is gonig to SPANK the 2.0T all day long!

I have read a lot of stories and I frankly don't know which one is true. I heard the Audi V10 is basically the Lambo one only debored and stroked for torque, and that the valve train and heads are basically the same. I also heard that the Audi V10 is a new Audi engine that shares nothing with the Lambo.

The 5 cylinder is in fact half an Audi engine, where ever it comes from, Audi R&D or an "Audisized" Lambo V10.

Turbo 5 cylinder? Who knows, but given it is bigger then the 2.0 it should be a lot better (and sweet sounding).

I don't know about the 1.3L diesel, although that kind of bussiness (lopping a cylinder off) is a typical VAG process.

I have read a lot of stories and I frankly don't know which one is true. I heard the Audi V10 is basically the Lambo one only debored and stroked for torque, and that the valve train and heads are basically the same. I also heard that the Audi V10 is a new Audi engine that shares nothing with the Lambo.

The Audi V10 and the Lambo V10 are related, but so are the Audi V10 and the Audi V8. The Audi V10 has a different heart-to-heart distance than the Lambo V10, which incidentally is the same as the heart-to-heart distance found in the Audi V8. This is due to the fact that the Audi engine plants wouldn't need all-new machinery to build the V10. It does share some other design characteristics with the Lambo V10 however.