Convince me to buy an android phone

British_Rover

Car(s)
2005 Gr Cherokee, dealer demo
So I need to get a new phone within the next month or so. I know for some people this isn't a big deal but I keep my phones forever and I don't usually get the latest new phone out there either. I got the first iPhone after it had been out a year then didn't replace till the iPhone 4 had been out almost a year as well. Prior to that I had the same flip phone pretty much forever but ditched it a year or so before the iPhone came out because I never call anyone. I use the phone for just about everything else but calling.

I have a iPhone 4 now and I have not been as happy with it as my original. It isn't nearly as durable as the original iPhone and sure it is faster with more memory but I never even filled up the memory in my old phone. I am not even convinced I need 4G as the availability of it is spotty in my area.

I could get something on AT&T or Verizon as I have upgrades due on both. My phone is on AT&T but my wife's is on Verizon. She has to have Verizon because it is the only network that doesn't feedback with her hearing aid. I would prefer to stay with AT&T but she has had good service with verizon. I don't have a lot of paid apps so I don't lose that if I switch away from an iPhone. What I would loose is my unlimited data plan but I think I lose that if I go with a iPhone 5 anyway.

I have looked at the Nexus 4 and it looks interesting. Also the LG Nitro looks good for an older phone and is only a penny at AT&T now. I don't want some giant phablet either.

Out of curiosity, is there any specific reason you're looking at Android? If you want to avoid iOS, Windows Phone 8 and BlackBerry 10 are very capable platforms to consider as well I think (though if the relative lack of apps troubles you that's understandable, and BB10 will be on the pricey side since it's only about to launch in the US).

Having said that, if we're looking just at Android, the Nexus 4 would be my recommendation. If I were in the market for an Android phone, it'd be right up there among my top choices - the only thing stopping me might be the lack of 4G, but since reception is spotty in your area, you may not get much advantage out of 4G anyways. Otherwise it has excellent performance at a price that you really can't argue with, thanks to Google's immense subsidies. And since it's a Nexus device, you should be guaranteed good support as far as OS updates go for quite a while.

I don't think he'll be impressed with the feel of the N4 if he doesn't like the iPhone 4, though if you want long tern usability without running custom ROMs, a Nexus is the way to go. If you can wait, and be ok with getting the latest and greatest, the Nexus X should be out later this year, though almost definitely not on contract. It will be made by Motorola, who typically have good hardware. The HTC One X(AT&T) or Evo 4G LTE(Verizon) are both good in my opinion, having owned the former for some months now, but I wouldn't expect either to see any updates beyond 5.0 when it comes out alongside the Nexus X.

I've had a bit of a mixed bag with Android, I had a RAZR previously and it was a laggy pile of shit. I'm using a galaxy nexus and it's quite acceptable - asides from not great build quality. I've found it's a bit of a mixed bag I guess, HTC One looks pretty good though.

If industry sources are to be believed, Microsoft will pull out of the phone market, with WP8 losing support as early as 2014. Given RIMs fragile state, Android right now is the only contender to iOS who seems to be reliably in for the long haul.

Speaking of Android phones, the Nexus 4 is the only way to go as it will continue to have half-official or unofficial support 'till kingdom come.

If industry sources are to be believed, Microsoft will pull out of the phone market, with WP8 losing support as early as 2014. Given RIMs fragile state, Android right now is the only contender to iOS who seems to be reliably in for the long haul.

Speaking of Android phones, the Nexus 4 is the only way to go as it will continue to have half-official or unofficial support 'till kingdom come.

Doc is right. It's iPhone or Android I'm afraid.

I'm not a dyed in the wool fanboi by any means but what I do like about Apple products is that that they are intuitive and well, they just work. First thing to do is find a couple of pals with Androids who know what they are talking about and show you why they prefer them. Then you'll be in a much better position to make a rational choice.

Hope you're pleased whatever you choose.

If industry sources are to be believed, Microsoft will pull out of the phone market.

Bullshit. AND remains bullshit until you post your "industry sources". (PLURAL) (hate sites like THE REGISTER are not valid or INDUSTRY sources!)

with WP8 losing support as early as 2014.

Correct. August/September. There is an 18 month update cycle for the OS. This support cycle may include version updates for which there is a new suppot cycle, hence 7.8 has longer support than WP8 RTM.
Numerous sites have posted the job listings by MS for testing WP9 on Nokia and HTC devices

The only rumor of PULL OUT is Samsung and Huawei in regards to WP.

Last edited:
Bullshit. AND remains bullshit until you post your "industry sources". (PLURAL) (hate sites like THE REGISTER are not valid or INDUSTRY sources!)

Listen, dickhead, when a senior forum member posts a statement quantifying what he is saying "If industry sources are to be believed" don't you think he is already acknowledging that these rumours are to be taken with a pinch of salt? What exactly in Dr Grip's post merited such a patronising, high and mighty response?

You might have had an account here for a while but it seems to me all you do is lurk about until you get the chance to pipe up in your usual obnoxious fashion before slinking back under your rock again.

I don't know how you behave on other forums but there is a level of expectation here with regards to how one conducts a reasoned argument. Your last post was so far below that level it contains mineral deposits.

Correct. August/September. There is an 18 month update cycle for the OS. This support cycle may include version updates for which there is a new suppot cycle, hence 7.8 has longer support than WP8 RTM.
Numerous sites have posted the job listings by MS for testing WP9 on Nokia and HTC devices

The only rumor of PULL OUT is Samsung and Huawei in regards to WP.

You don't need to be nasty to get your point across, and in fact you often hurt your cause by giving people an easy excuse to ignore you. Try a little moderation and see how that works.

Listen, dickhead, when a senior forum member posts a statement quantifying what he is saying "If industry sources are to be believed" don't you think he is already acknowledging that these rumours are to be taken with a pinch of salt? What exactly in Dr Grip's post merited such a patronising, high and mighty response?

You might have had an account here for a while but it seems to me all you do is lurk about until you get the chance to pipe up in your usual obnoxious fashion before slinking back under your rock again.

I don't know how you behave on other forums but there is a level of expectation here with regards to how one conducts a reasoned argument. Your last post was so far below that level it contains mineral deposits.

Yes, Luca's post was unnecessarily caustic, but so was yours. If you want people to behave with respect for fellow forum members, lead by example.

In other news, here's a picture of a cat sleeping on a phone:
sleep2.jpg

I have a note from my Doctor. Plus mine might have been caustic but it was eloquently written nonetheless.

I shall, however, endeavour to be a touch less abrasive in future.

Would Mister Dickhead be OK? ;)

Because Microsoft's official spokesdroids have never released contradictory statements, ever!

Zune to be cancelled.

No, it's not.
Sure looks like it.
Nope, not cancelled.
Wait, did we say we weren't cancelling it? We meant to say we were cancelling it.

Or just ask any Sidekick owner (now former owner) about how Microsoft's official statements jerked them around. Or how the Kin Phone turned out to be a rope-a-dope disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
In order to believe a rumor from an industry source or not the rumor has to exist in the first place. If you post questionable statements you need to be prepared for push back IMHO. I didn't direspect him, you are the one who started calling names, and then you go on about reasoned arguments? "quantifying" is a good keyword from you here, the quantity of someones posts says nothing about the quality.

I am not going to roll out the red carpet for a forum senior who posts debatable issues just because he is well established here. Period.

Last edited:
Look who forgot to take his meds today (note: this comment is funny and witty even if that really is what happened)!

My source is WMPoweruser (via slashdot) which is a pro-WP partisan site and not a well-researched, impartial, respected site like The Register.

There are two questions at hand here:
1. What will happen to Windows on phones after July 2014?
2. What does that mean for owners of a Windows 8 phone?

Regarding 1), there are two scenarios, both of which are churned through the rumor mill right now: Either Microsoft abandons Windows Phone or the release WP9.

But more important for the question at hand is what will happen with WP8 devices. And judging from the fact that Microsoft never offered major release updates for older devices (even with the HTC HD2 that was advertised as WP7-compatible, until MS pulled the plug because of an incorrect number of buttons on the device) I would suggest that WP9, even if it is released, will not come to WP8 phones.

Thus, my point stands: if you want to keep your phone for more than a year and a half, stay away from WP8.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
In order to believe a rumor from an industry source or not the rumor has to exist in the first place. If you post questionable information you need to be prepared for push back IMHO. I didn't direspect him, you are the one who started calling names, and then you go on about reasoned arguments? Absurd. "quantifying" is a good keyword from you here, the quantity of someones posts says nothing about the quality.

And you are speaking to whom in the above post?

Some quick evidence that all is not well with Windows Phone (much like how it was not going well with Zune at the end): http://blogs.computerworld.com/wind...resence-enterprise-dead-water-says-new-report

Being a forum senior shouldn't be a license to come up with stuff with no backing on the fly.
At the same time, blanket-disqualifying any source that you don't trust for whatever personal reasons, labeling them "hate sites", while using RANDOM caps in your POST does not exactly make you come across as reasonable, but more like a raging fanboy.

EDIT: I did not think that the speculation I originally posted would be that controversial that it warranted digging out the link. I did not know that this is Wikipedia now and we thus got a footnote requirement.

Last edited:
See Spectre's Zune posts. There is ample of evidence that WP is struggling in the marketplace and Microsoft has a history of denying the discontinuation of products until the last second. The combination of this two factors makes the idea of WP getting canceled reasonable.

And you did not address your unwarranted outburst of aggression, either.

EDIT:
Slashdot said:
Microsoft To Abandon Windows Phone?

Last edited: