Covid 19 CRISIS

I'm wiping down "high touch" surfaces 2x a day because my roommates are garbage.

Not really going out much and today was my first day of Work From Home - We'll see how that goes along with the eLearning that our teachers are suddenly going to have to pivot to.

Apparently Trump wants to open things up slowly if things look good after the 14 day nationwide social distancing - but I think it'll be a lot longer than that.

^Trump does not seem to be able to understand anything more than Homer Simpson at his stupidest. After 14 days things will have only just started to go better, and another 2-4 weeks should be taken to have the infections really slow down. If he opens up after 2 weeks, he would have just squandered the first 2 and will see the cases go up again after another 14 days.

So there is a pub called Elbschlosskeller in Hamburg's St. Pauli district. They had to install a new lock on their door. In 70 years of existence, it was never closed before... so while the door had in fact a lock, they had long lost the key.

https://apnews.com/0e99540d0d77587c88adeee3474d3ab4

Sen. Rand Paul kept working for six days after virus test

WASHINGTON (AP) — Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul says he was tested a week ago for the novel coronavirus, but continued working at the Capitol because he had no symptoms of the illness and believed it was “highly unlikely” he was sick. Paul also said he did not have direct contact with anyone who tested positive for the virus or was sick.

Paul announced Sunday that he had tested positive for the virus, becoming the first case of COVID-19 in the Senate and raising fears about further transmission of the virus among senators, including more than two dozen who are in their 70′s or 80′s.

Rand Paul, or How to be an idiot full of empty certitudes.

Asymptomatic positives, or How the virus manage to spread so fast and so uncontrollably.

This kind of drastic action with little or no notice isn't helpful at this point. What happened to London being weeks ahead?
It's also too vague.

I'm just about to head out to work along with about 150 other factory workers because the vast majority of the UK's production industry is still rolling, it's not possible to work from home so it's not closed. People who were off in self isolation are coming back to work after 7 days.

I'd not class whisky bottling as a "necessity" but the current plan is keep running until enforced shut down or there aren't enough staff to run the production lines...

Last week:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/hea...-weeks-ahead-of-rest-of-country-a4388801.html

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-19/london-coronavirus-measures/

I suppose this reaction is due to idiots spreading themselves all over the country at the weekend at the seaside and whatnot.

A colleague of mine was really ill with fever last week and went into the hospital one day. Even she wasn't tested. The doctors just said it was likely something viral. Multiply the figures youre seeing in the media by 10-100x.

^BTW, the Head of the Protezione Civile (the Governmental Agency in charge of coordinating the effort against Covid-19) announced yesterday what I had thought and put as a possibility (or, to be precise, as the higher end of the uncertainty bracket in calculating the number of infected people). he said that the infected people in Italy (most of whom asymptomatic) could be as high as 600.000. He basically took the number of deaths and considered it as the 1% death rate of the virus.

In 20-30 years time there’s going to be a lot of liver transplant people. ?

^BTW, the Head of the Protezione Civile (the Governmental Agency in charge of coordinating the effort against Covid-19) announced yesterday what I had thought and put as a possibility (or, to be precise, as the higher end of the uncertainty bracket in calculating the number of infected people). he said that the infected people in Italy (most of whom asymptomatic) could be as high as 600.000. He basically took the number of deaths and considered it as the 1% death rate of the virus.
And he might still be on the low side of figures. Since China seems to have underreported asymptomatic infections, the real death rate might be closer to 0.5%, which would of course double the case of infected people to 1.2 million.

Which, incidentally would mean that here in Germany we are still in a realtively good corridor in terms of testings.

Right there with you lol. My recycling bag looks like it belongs behind a bar.

and then then the garbage truck comes you hear loud clank. Me every Monday morning.

Quebec just passed 1000 cases. Still at only 4 deaths as of yesterday.

quebec-20200324.png

The jump on the 23rd of May is because of a change in methodology for the testing. Before that, positive cases needed additional confirmation from a central lab. Since yesterday, initial positive result is enough to go into the official statistics.