Covid 19 CRISIS

Still no general home office order in my company, instead decision case by case. Which in practice means everyone who insists on working from home can do so. I will decide on Monday morning basically, because there is something to work on with a colleague.
Today's numbers say 19 confirmed cases in my city of 600,000 people. Even assuming a 99% undetected rate, that'd still only be 0.3% of the population, so I'm not particular worried. But I'm prepared to eat my words on Sunday evening - the curve looks very exponential right now...

My social gatherings planned for tomorrow - watching football and having dinner with friends - are cancelled though (well, all of football is cancelled, so there's nothing to watch :D). Tonight we actually replaced our usual Friday-night get-together with a short video conference. :rofl:

I feel the need to quote this in the political section because that's a highly political and in my opinion absolutely correct quote.

In other news, Europe is shutting down. Germany took its fucking time, which probably led to Poland and Denmark closing their borders. Due to the federal structure of Germany many things cannot be decided by the federal government, but at state level. Today almost all states decided to close schools and children's daycare from Monday on (they're closed on weekends anyway), and the professional football leagues have finally joined their counterparts in Italy, Spain, England and other countries to completely suspend matchdays, instead of staying on the plan of playing to empty crowds. The fact that several thousand fans came to cheer their teams in front of the stadiums when they played without spectators on Wednesday may have influenced that decision.

It feels very weird to have public life grind to a halt (well, at least the supermarkets are still open), but breaking up the infection chains for the next few weeks seems like the wisest choice. Stay alert after that phase, and we have a chance to keep this contained to a manageable level.

But I'm prepared to eat my words on Sunday evening - the curve looks very exponential right now...

The curve has been exponential for weeks.

1584145741402.png

That's reported non-China cases from the JHU dashboard, on a logarithmic scale. If you paid attention in physics and/or maths you'll know what a straight line on a log scale means...

I feel the need to quote this in the political section because that's a highly political and in my opinion absolutely correct quote.

In other news, Europe is shutting down. Germany took its fucking time, which probably led to Poland and Denmark closing their borders. Due to the federal structure of Germany many things cannot be decided by the federal government, but at state level. Today almost all states decided to close schools and children's daycare from Monday on (they're closed on weekends anyway), and the professional football leagues have finally joined their counterparts in Italy, Spain, England and other countries to completely suspend matchdays, instead of staying on the plan of playing to empty crowds. The fact that several thousand fans came to cheer their teams in front of the stadiums when they played without spectators on Wednesday may have influenced that decision.

It feels very weird to have public life grind to a halt (well, at least the supermarkets are still open), but breaking up the infection chains for the next few weeks seems like the wisest choice. Stay alert after that phase, and we have a chance to keep this contained to a manageable level.

Yeah it’s real weird especially when you hear about it on tv and go “yeah yeah, it’s happening there.” But not where you are. It’s like an invisible force that you have no idea how to deal with it because media outlets are really freaking out so you have to take that and interpret how to react. For me, I don’t go out much other than to hardware or grocery stores on the weekend and then it’s work/home during the week. Lately, I’ve been gaming with a few other FG folks so that’s helped. If it comes to a point where we’re isolated at home then I guess online gaming and a few books will help keep me sane.

That said, least Merkel isn’t claiming the virus is eradicated.

57FBBB55-6085-4B13-A607-4047493FB84D.jpeg

Last edited:
If you paid attention in physics and/or maths you'll know what a straight line on a log scale means...
...but only if you know the base. 10 in this case if my squinting yielded the correct result.

In a different matter, please cross your fingers/squeeze your thumbs/whatever you do for good luck for someone in Mexico. They’re waiting for a bone marrow transplant from the US and I’m currently in LA on standby for that transport. With a bit of luck, the borders will still be open by the time the donation can be made and I or someone else can take the product over there.

Oh, and I’d also like to get home somehow.

Last edited:
Currently in Colorado Springs on spring break and I asked my wife to pickup some cough medicine and this is the picture i got a few minutes ago from the cold and flu isle...... I mean WTF people

View attachment 3557072
This was what Target's cold/flu aisle looked like last night here, too. I didn't know if they were restocking or if people were just being stupid. (Probably the latter.)

All cleaned out at our local TJs. Le sigh. This was the frozen fish/entree aisle. I usually get weird looks, but today was probably extra special as I went in with only a handbasket and just picked out some houseplants and our food for the weekend/week.

Attachments

• IMG_20200313_141425.jpg
    IMG_20200313_141425.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 134
The curve has been exponential for weeks.
I was talking about the local situation here, should have made that clear. Dortmund had the first two cases last Sunday, a total of four on Monday, then 9, 12, 14, 19 until yesterday.

Denmark closed all government offices, schools and daycare on thursdag, yesterday they adviced all danish citizens abroad to return home immediately and it was announced that all borders closed today at noon (except for Danish citizens).

Here schools and day care are closed for the next 2 weeks.

they are intentionally keeping daycare open because if not, big part of the infants will end up with their grand parents, and they want to avoid that.
visiting elderly homes is also forbidden to protect them...

...lonely days for those :(

...but only if you know the base. 10 in this case if my squinting yielded the correct result.

No, the base doesn't matter. If the base of your scale matches with the base of your growth then you get a straight line with a 1:1 slope, otherwise you get different slopes but still straight lines. Observe:

1584186775689.png

In a different matter, please cross your fingers/squeeze your thumbs/whatever you do for good luck for someone in Mexico. They’re waiting for a bone marrow transplant from the US and I’m currently in LA on standby for that transport. With a bit of luck, the borders will still be open by the time the donation can be made and I or someone else can take the product over there.

All limbs squeezingly crossed... hope your Grenzer are lenient.

Oh, and I’d also like to get home somehow.

:hug:

Attachments

• 1584186699465.png
    1584186699465.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 111
they are intentionally keeping daycare open because if not, big part of the infants will end up with their grand parents, and they want to avoid that.
visiting elderly homes is also forbidden to protect them...

...lonely days for those :(
They are keep schools open here for same consideration, also to ensure that medical personnel doesn’t end up having to stay home since a huge number of nurses have small kids in school.

Soooo... EMR, the biggest buyer of scrap metal in the country basically have stopped accepting any deliveries for at least two weeks. Cue all of our collectors tanking their prices and dozens of livid customers pissed because they won't be getting anything like the price they saw on the website last week.

It's going to be a fun fortnight. At least it will be the same industry wide so our competitors will be facing the same issues.

Four Stage Strategy

Donald McNeil, science and health reporter for the New York Times, talks with Rachel Maddow about how China handles a person who may have contracted the novel coronavirus

Last edited:
Dr. David Ho, director and CEO of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, talks with Rachel Maddow about how the shape of the graph of new coronavirus cases in other countries can be a guide to expectations for the United States.