Covid 19 CRISIS

There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.

Society is amazingly fragile.

Oh damn, more than Full HD, we rocking now! /s

Regarding the gun thing, it's worrying and more so as it sounds like those of the Asian stereotype are now worried for their lives. What the fuck?

I don't get the "we must buy all the rice" when you can just as easily make something with meat in it. Making rice will still need heat...
Pertinent to our discussion and why I'm carrying my pistol.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/FBI-calling-stabbing-at-Midland-Sams-a-hate-crime-569233691.html

you must not have that much faith in your current government.
You’ve seen our government right?

Look at 1992 LA rights or for a more recent example Ferguson. Now imagine this city wide because supply lines are down and some people are literally fighting to feed their families

Last edited:
^ I trust the UN, NGOs, alot of the bureaucracy around the current administration, and state government quite alot.

Look at 1992 LA rights or for a more recent example Ferguson.

Two examples separated by over 20 years. Its far more likely that the guns being bought by people worried of civil distress will go off in their faces while cleaning. Versus state and federal bureaucracy that works every day to a high level. Im just saying the odds are in my favor to never need a gun for protection from a civil disturbance.

I would say the risk of death by civil unrest is so remote vs the risk of death by Covid19 right now that I would put running out to buy a gun right up there with baking cookies for Santa today.

Last edited:
Two examples separated by over 20 years.
Just the ones off the top of my head, there were looting going on in Coney Island after Sandy, which is roughly 5 mins away by car from me.

Its far more likely that the guns being bought by people worried of civil distress will go off in their faces while cleaning
If they are idiots sure. Though last I checked there are like 300 accidental discharges a year.
I would say the risk of death by civil unrest is so remote vs the risk of death by Covid19 right now that I would put running out to buy a gun right up there with baking cookies for Santa today
For now it appears that way, but then again you and I aren’t Asian looking so we don’t have to worry about hate attacks too much. (though you have a higher chance of being a hate crime victim than I due to your life style)

P.S. To quote Colion Noire, it’s not about the odds it’s about the stakes. The odds of you dying from COVID are also relatively low, but to my knowledge you aren’t attending any COVID parties.

Two examples separated by over 20 years. Its far more likely that the guns being bought by people worried of civil distress will go off in their faces while cleaning.
You got a citation for that? This is a myth that has bounced around the Internet for about 20 years and the print media before that. At best, it's a cooked statistic.

It's not widespread civil unrest, it's examples like the one I posted of a xenophobic asshole attacking someone who is just out shopping, or people who are out of work, poor, desperate, and/or addicted, and decide breaking into houses is an easy score.

Last edited:
I think the "failure of society"/"self-defense" thing has a lot to do with the narrative of the US as an assoiciation of people by choice, which can be rescinded at any moment.

You’ve seen our government right?

Look at 1992 LA rights or for a more recent example Ferguson. Now imagine this city wide because supply lines are down and some people are literally fighting to feed their families

We the people let this happen to our government. It has been trimmed and weakened to save a few bucks on the tax bill, and fewer complications for companies(helps maximize profits, don't cha know?).

I think this is an example of where modern supply practices become a problem. It is not common for stores to have a large stockroom anymore. The shelves are the storage for products. So when something happens, and people stock up, there is no extra supply any where in the supply chain to pick up the slack.

I will now give you an example of this being a bad practice long before this pandemic. I, like many others, enjoy chocolate covered peanuts. A nice tasty treat that is not completely bad for you. With modern supply practices, most stores only carry what can be sold in a small window, normally a weekend, but daily is common to. Because of this, the store I do most of my shopping at routinely runs out by noon. Not that most other stores are any better. More than half the time I get them, I have to go to Menards, or buy a store brand with cheap chocolate.

This is where capitalism fails. It does not take into account bad weather, fires, or what ever else life can throw at us. Despite @LeVeL's praise for the "Free Market", and it rising to the challenge, what else are the companies that are shutdown going to do when they have nothing else to think about? They are going to try and save themselves by trying to save others.

Interesting read, though a bit on the dreamy, futuristic, sci-fi side of things.

This crisis is a call back to a reality many people had abandoned in favour of comfortable or selfish delusions.

Many things will change, we are probably going to see a reduction in individualism and disregard to others, because we can see that a strong community who cares about others works better and saves more lives (including, possibly, ours) than a fear-stricken, purely individualistic, unprepared one.

We will come back to appreciate more long-term thinking and probably even to mistrust people who talk much but can't do nothing. We are going to go back to some kind of religion (for mental stability), but also towards science (for physical help).

Also, online services will surely grow. We might even want to stop meeting for work reasons.

I don't think we will stop meeting for social reasons, as that part is necessary to us. But I think we will all become less "crowded", less for mass gatherings and more appreciative of small groups.

--

But then again, no one really knows.

One of the things that will happen, for a time, when the lockdown will be lifted is that people will want to party at a higher rate than before, because they will have just exited a lonesome period.

So... everyone tries his shot at foreseeing the future. Everyone according to what he thinks now. A lottery of predictions.

I like how even BoJo explicitly disowned Thatcherism and said "there is a society". This might be the pendulum swinging back from "unchained free market" to "clear rules and boundaries of capitalim set by states".

EDIT: Lockdowns have been part of disease protection as long as historic records go. So far they have not stopped mass gatherings and there is little reason to believe that this time will be different. The economy, the economic outlook, and probably even geopolitical power balances will change, but society as a whole not so much.

I agree the article is a bit "dreamy", but there is more than a little right in there too.

To add some levity.

One of the advantages of working from home is safety - I'm not leaving my locked "castle" except to walk the dog, I'm not leaving my fairly safe neighborhood, I'm not going to run into some road-raging whacko or an obliviot crossing into oncoming traffic, no chance of a distressed coworker going postal, and I have guns close by for self defense if need be.

(though you have a higher chance of being a hate crime victim than I due to your life style)
I'm not even sure if that's true anymore, as anti-Semitism has been on the rise.

Your know @GRtak for someone who likes to complain about my sources, quoting Rick Wilson of all people does not exactly inspire dialogue. That guy is a complete asshole.

He is not the cartoonist.

Accurate picture, regardless of the messenger.

And what narf said.

Accurate picture, regardless of the messenger.
You agree with the apparent implication that Hispanics can't be doctors or nurses and can only bag groceries? Really? I actually find it ironic that in an effort to be an SJW the artist managed to discriminate.