CPU overheating out of nowhere

TerranCmdr

Car(s)
'09 Corolla
Hi guys,

Didn't really know where else to turn with this. First off, the necessary system specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090t @ 3.4
Corsair H60 cooler (the problem)
MSI 890FXA GD-65 mobo (also has been problematic)
8GB Corsair Ripjaws RAM @ 1600
MSI Radeon 6950 1GB
Windows 7

So I have been having cooling issues with my chip ever since I got it. I never installed the stock heatsink, I went straight for a big air-cooled radiator (CM Hyper 212+) with 2x Scythe fans. Even then I was getting temps around 26C on idle, sometimes as low as 20 or so, but getting up into the 50s under load. However this year I upgraded (or so I thought) to a Corsair H60 watercooling thingy, and it had, until recently, been producing very stable temps around 26, never rising above 35, even on full load. I had been very happy with it, until today. I turned on my computer after it having been off for a few days, and used it for a while before I noticed my temp was at 90! I use SpeedFan to check my temps, so I opened it real quick and verified all my fans and pump were running at 100%, which they were. I quickly rebooted to see if it was a quirk, but when I got to Windows it was still at 80 degrees, but it did cool down and now it's settled around 54, on idle. My temps were completely fine two days ago, so I'm not sure what changed to make this happen. I can verify my pump is pumping at full speed, the RPM gauge says 4600RPM. The radiator fan is also functioning normally.

So, could it be my processor is dying? It's definitely not faulty readings, as I touched the water tubes and they're damn hot. Should I try to RMA the cooler? I got it in February.

Any input on this is very much appreciated. I really can't afford to replace my CPU/mobo right now, and I need my computer for school.

Thanks in advance. :)

It isn't a dying CPU. They tend to be pretty binary when it comes to that. There could be an issue on the software side of things.

When you say 100% do you mean the fans were working normally, or that they were running at maximum speed? If the latter it could be a loose connector.

Last edited:
Check the wire connection to the motherboard.

Everything seems solidly connected. I guess I'll try re-seating and re-applying thermal paste. If that doesn't work I'll try sticking the stock cooler on there.

I understand the water pump is running, but can you confirm it is actually pumping water? I've had a similar problem in the past. The pump was whirring but somehow was stuck and not pumping any water, so the cpu simply heated the local water amount and got very hot.

Otherwise I'd also suspect a problem with the seating of the cooling element.

Is it easy to add a drop of food coloring into the solution? Put a drop or half in and turn the computer on. If the water is pumping you'll see it.

Last edited:
Is it easy to add a drop of food coloring into the solution? Put a drop or half in and turn the computer on. If the water is pumping you'll see it.

All-In-One coolers like the one he's using are usually completely sealed from the factory, rather than the custom setups I'm presuming you have in mind, and aren't made to be disassembled. The tubing is also solid black, so there'd be no way to actually see the coolant circulating.

Yup, exactly what TG Man said.

Quick update, and first of all thanks for all the helpful input guys. :)

Installed the stock cooler, I'm now idling at 34 and not breaking 40 on load. So definitely a problem with the cooler - I'll be speaking to newegg to see about a return on this POS.

Thanks again guys, it was pretty scary for a minute but we pulled through. :p

If I remember correctly my friend also has a H60. I should tell him to keep an eye on the temps. Is failing water pumps common or did TerranCmdr got unlucky?

Yeah, I have a H105 and it reports a constant fan RPM when running. Shitty to hear that these can fail. :(

The pump was reporting 4000 RPM from the BIOS, so I'm not sure what was wrong with it. Gonna try to return it to Corsair as I'm past newegg's 30 days.

Maybe a piece inside the pump came off and blocks the water flow?

Just wanted to update and say that Corsair replaced the cooler for me, new one works fine (for now...)

Thanks for all the help guys