Ownership Verified: CraigB's 2014 Nissan Frontier (Navara) Pro-4X

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
As many of you may know for the last couple months I have had an irrational idea to buy a truck/SUV. I've swung back and forth on different ideas, new or used, Toyota, Ford, Nissan. It became almost an obsession. Nightly I would scour Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc. Each night I would find a new batch of trucks to drool over. Some nights my rational side would win, finding R50 Pathfinders, D22 Frontiers and the occasional 4Runner. Other nights I'd let me imagination run wild, "OOH!", I'd exclaim. "Look at that shiny new Xterra or that beautiful metallic blue Frontier!" Ultimately, the rational side of my brain would reel in that imagination and I'd go back to looking at trucks with 190k plus miles at less than $4k. Making a monthly payment is a bad idea on a truck you plan to abuse slightly off-road, right? Then I have had one heck a bad idea...

Let me introduce to you, my 2014 Nissan Frontier D40 (Navara) Pro-4X. This baby is loaded down with more kit than should ever be allowed in a truck. Leather, power and heated front seats, navigation, Blueteeth, sunroof (Why is there a sunroof in a truck?!), roof rack, back-up camera (with sensors that warn you as you close in on an object), etc. Heck there's more buttons on the steering wheel than a Ferrari. The truck like things it has are four wheel drive, a honking great 261 horsepower/281 lb/ft torque gasoline 4.0 V6 backed with a 5-speed automatic transmission, a bed behind the cab (with factory spray-in bedliner and Nissan's Utili-track system) and finally the entire reason I went for the Pro-4X, a electric locking rear differential. That way once your stuck, you can really bury the back wheels in the mud/sand/snow.

Now, you may have noticed that this is a 2014 model and as such you'd expect it to have a year's worth of mileage on it already. That's where you'd be wrong. When I drove off of the lot yesterday the odometer read just 3,031 miles. Yup, a basically new 2014 for used money. Even has the Nissan Certified Pre-Owned warranty. As for the price? Won't say. I'm a bit embarrassed about spending this much on a truck. However, I think if I treat it well and perform all the maintenance as the book says, this truck will be with me for a very, very long time.

I can sense you are getting anxious, so.... ON TO THE PHOTOS!

Keep an eye on this thread for the adventures my family and I will take this truck on over the coming years. We hope to make it back... :lol:

Congrats! Will this replace the Focus as your daily driver?

Those things are so much fun in the sand. Definitely a good call.

Needs "UN" in big black letters on each door.

Was quite surprised at the exterior colour choice until I remembered how hot it gets there in the summer.

Good choice, looks like a nice ride.

Congrats! Will this replace the Focus as your daily driver?

Yes, I plan on selling everything except the Altima.

Those things are so much fun in the sand. Definitely a good call.

I'll have to head out to Little Sahara State Park sometime and give it a shot. Thanks!

Needs "UN" in big black letters on each door.

Was quite surprised at the exterior colour choice until I remembered how hot it gets there in the summer.

Good choice, looks like a nice ride.

I told Mrs. CraigB that exact joke this morning at breakfast. She was not impressed.

Honestly, the color wasn't really to do with the heat as much as what was on the lot. Plus, I don't really have a preference about color.

Thanks!

Yay for white! :D
Yay for the wheels! :D
Yay for white tyre lettering! :D

Very nice :clap:

Why are you selling the Focus yet keeping the Altima? :dunno:

Awesome little rig! I loved those and still want one after working at a Nissan dealership. That 4.0 is bulletproof. There were two times I saw 4.0 trucks in the service bay; once when Bubba went to town on the electrics and then another Bubba didn't change the oil for 99k miles :lol:

(Why is there a sunroof in a truck?!

There are several good reasons.

First, so you can spot cops in aircraft doing speed enforcement.
20120725_speeding-aircraft_612mz.jpg

Second, when you're trying to get someone to stop.
ronin5.gif

Third, and most importantly for an offroader - so you can get out of (and back in) your truck when you do this:

Last edited:
Yay for white! :D
Yay for the wheels! :D
Yay for white tyre lettering! :D

Very nice :clap:

Thank you sir! :D

Why are you selling the Focus yet keeping the Altima? :dunno:

The Altima is his wife's car...

Yup, what the good Dr says. However, she has already threatened to take the truck antiquing with her mother. We all know what happens then.

Awesome little rig! I loved those and still want one after working at a Nissan dealership. That 4.0 is bulletproof. There were two times I saw 4.0 trucks in the service bay; once when Bubba went to town on the electrics and then another Bubba didn't change the oil for 99k miles :lol:

I plan to treat this one kindly, most of the time. I don't believe it's had an oil change yet, so that'll be a priority. I've ordered a Curt trailer hitch and Nissan 7-pin wiring harness (with relays) to install.

Those have always been nice trucks, one of the few smaller ones built properly. You have a nice level of equipment on it as well.

Thanks. It's really more stuff than I need, but go big or go home, right?

There are several good reasons.

First, so you can spot cops in aircraft doing speed enforcement.

Second, when you're trying to get someone to stop.

Third, and most importantly for an offroader - so you can get out of (and back in) your truck when you do this:

All valid reasons. Of course I will endeavor not to speed, need to shoot someone with a grenade launcher or roll the truck.

Nice truck! Good luck keeping it clean! :p

Thanks! Why would I keep it clean, it's a truck, they are meant to get dirty. :D

In reality though, I've already had to wash it because of the bugs stuck on the front from the drive home last night.

Yup, what the good Dr says. However, she has already threatened to take the truck antiquing with her mother. We all know what happens then.

This is what they make exocages and other body protection for.

paint2.jpg

12119d1188179391-i-told-u-guys-i-would-do-one-here-picture-189.jpg

All valid reasons. Of course I will endeavor not to speed, need to shoot someone with a grenade launcher or roll the truck.

Hah, how unfortunate and that last one is not always up to you - the terrain and the truck get to vote too - respectively. :D

I like that tube bumper on the lower truck. Hmm... :D

While the truck, physics and the terrain have the final say in the truck rolling. I do have control of not putting the truck, passengers, cargo and myself in a dangerous situation.

These guys make really good quality fitted seat covers if you want something over the leather. I have their Neo-Supremes in my X and they look so good it doesn't look like I have seat covers on.

Also, Weathertech's Floor Liners are a perfect fit and almost indestructible - been using them for years in both the old and new X.

Thanks. It's really more stuff than I need, but go big or go home, right?

How can you "Go Big" in a runt truck? :think:

:p congrats.

CraigB said:
I told Mrs. CraigB that exact joke this morning at breakfast. She was not impressed.
Ah man you have to. That'd freak some of the conspiracy nuts out there right the fuck out.

Bonus points for getting a milsurp helmet and spray painting it blue.

I like that tube bumper on the lower truck. Hmm... :D
Do eeet. Lots of good shops around for something like that if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

As a Hilux owner I'm obliged to hate all Navaras. Eewww.

:p just kidding, looks like a nice thing. It's also a white 4x4 dual cab 4.0 V6 auto truck with white lettered tyres, so we basically have the same car. I'm jealous of the equipment levels. It would be good if you guys got more choice in that market segment. You'd be laughed at for buying a petrol 4x4 truck here (I did, and do).

Last edited: