Crepe type food!

Alrighty then, so here's Dosa:

This is the batter, it's made from rice flour/cream of rice. You can get this stuff readymade from indian stores

Swirl it on your pan

Add dat oil

Let it brown and crisp up, then lift and separate. Flip it.

This pan was used to heat up Chapathi, so the first Dosa got all broken up. I still fucking ate it though. Crispy as hell.

Masala dosa - traditionally the potato filling is actually kept outside the dosa, and you're supposed to grab a piece of dosa, and use that to cover up a piece of potato and stuff that lovely goodness in your pie-hole. This center of the dosa filling bullshit was just started for all the non-indians.

The only dosa I've ever seen is the extremely large and thin one, but I guess (obviously) there are tons of different variaties.

I believe it's German if I remember right from freshman year Deutsche I? Perhaps it relates to the Dutch oven can be made in, though I think a cast iron skillet is better more typical.

The only dosa I've ever seen is the extremely large and thin one, but I guess (obviously) there are tons of different variaties.

That would be a paper dosa, served at restaurants to cater to people who want to share. They also call it family dosa I believe in certain places. Typically though Dosas at home are made about the same size as a personal pizza (in terms of circumference/diameter).

There definitely are tons of varieties of Dosa, mainly dealing with filling and type of flour. My personal favorite is rava dosa followed closely by Adai.

I'm ashamed to admit I went to a creperie once. Just crept in, had a quick crepe and crept out again.

I believe it's German if I remember right from freshman year Deutsche I? Perhaps it relates to the Dutch oven can be made in, though I think a cast iron skillet is better more typical.
Wikipedia says it's a variant of Apfelpfannkuchen, which translates to (drumroll for Captain Obvious ;-) ) "apple pancake". However, I would never make a pancake in the oven, seems like a waste of energy. I'd just bake it in a pan and add the apple pieces to that.

That would be a paper dosa, served at restaurants to cater to people who want to share. They also call it family dosa I believe in certain places. Typically though Dosas at home are made about the same size as a personal pizza (in terms of circumference/diameter).

And there 100 times better than the restaurant ones, since there batter isnt the greatest(have to let the batter sit for 24-36 hrs for it to "cure") as my mom puts it...

Watching my mom make dosas every other wknd was such an awesome experience and meal as well...I usually prefer eating them with chutney or with rasam, although a good masala dosa is always worth it...especially when its free!

So I know pancakes aren't like Crepes but I'm not starting another thread.

My friend's fiance is a bit of a pain in the ass, lately she's been going on about how her pancakes are the best and I want to make her eat her words, especially cause she uses box mix, with some nutmeg or something. So my normal recipe is pretty typical except I don't use oil or milk, I use strained yogurt, a little buttermilk, and two whipped egg whites folded in. Makes them super fluffy. I've heard rice flour makes pancakes super fluffy has any one used it before in pancakes? As it stands now the pancakes are very light and about half/three-quarters of an inch thick.

I like the bog standard Brit pancake recipe.

4 ounces plain flour
1-2 eggs depending on the size. Use two eggs if they're quite small.
1/2 pint of milk

I just have mine with lemon juice and a bit of sugar 'cause I'm oh so interesting and adventurous. It's just basically Yorkshire Pudding batter without salt and pepper.

Shrove Tuesday on March 8th!! ^__^ Amma mek mesel SICK on pancakes.

I found a local cafe called Cupz N' Crepes that I've never visited before. I was just looking them up online and they look pretty good. I think I may go get breakfast there tomorrow. Some pictures from someone's flicker acct, hopefully they work:

Nutella, strawberries, and banana with whipped cream and chocolate sauce:
5469194381_71b34e7677.jpg

Strawberry, kiwi, and honey with cream cheese:
5568960008_87bac4ccca.jpg

Nutella and Bananas with whipped cream:
5568969916_f157ff916c.jpg

They also serve crepes with savory ingredients, but I've been craving something sweet. They also apparently have some of the best coffee around, although I'm not much of a coffee drinker, still I'll probably try something new while I'm there.

Edit: Just got back. I had an iced latte and a strawberry/nutella crepe with chocolate/strawberry sauce. It was fantastic. A bit on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for. I would go back. I want to try the tomato and mushroom crepe.

Last edited:
Too much filling, not enough crepe. :(
They serve some with no real filling, just stuff like lemon juice with powdered sugar or cinnamon/sugar, etc. Or just filled with some jam and cream cheese. You can even build your own, so they do take special requests and all that. But if you order one with fresh fruit or whatever, they make sure not to skimp. Having eaten one, the first one pictured above minus the bananas, it was actually a pretty good compromise of filling/crepe.

Nah, those would be excellent, if the filling to crepe ratio wasn't 5:1. Give me 3 empty crepes along with it and I'll be happy. :D

It doesn't look as if we have a cookware thread, but this thread is perfect for what I've got.

crepe1.jpg

crepe2.jpg

This was retrieved from my late grandmother's kitchen. Nobody wanted it so I grabbed it up. I know it's a crepe pan but I've googled and can't seem to find anything about it. I've heard about a method where you'd dip the hot pan into the crepe batter instead of pouring it on, maybe that's why the convex top?

Any crepe aficionados know anything about this pan?