Crepe type food!

I've heard about a method where you'd dip the hot pan into the crepe batter instead of pouring it on, maybe that's why the convex top?
You've made me curious, so I googled "convex crepe pan". The internet says that your pan is exactly what you think it is and that there should be a batter bowl to go with it, one that makes dipping the pan into the batter easier.

Your google-foo is much stronger than mine!
There was no bowl to go with it, or maybe it got repurposed a long time ago and nobody remembers. Either way I've got a few shallow dishes that should suffice.

Gracias!

Interesting picture that brings up a question. Growing up, when we'd have pancakes my father would thin out the last of the batter and make what he'd call "German pancakes". Basically crepes but were served with a little melted butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice. According to the image that's an "English pancake". The story my father always told is that towards the end of WWII, his father and uncles were served these by the Germans for breakfast. When they came home, they asked their mothers to make them "those German pancakes" and the name stuck. So is crepes with sugar and lemon a common breakfast item or did the German restauranteurs serve Americans those because that's what they were used to serving English patrons (and in their eyes American=English)?

I think there is just a lot of blurred lines and cross over. My family on my father's side is french. My great grandparents were born over there and floated over in the 20's. And my mom has all the old family recipes, but the French crepe recipe is different than any other french style crepe I've ever had.

I just did a small batch of crepes, it's kind of a weekend tradition for me whenever I'm home with my family.

Picture from the previous time I cooked some :
IMG_20140201_102511.jpg

Served with only maple syrup :canadian:

Re: pancake picture. Raggmunk is made from potatoes. They are awesome with fried salted pork in thick slices and lingonberry jam, it's a old traditional Swedish dish.

Interesting picture that brings up a question. Growing up, when we'd have pancakes my father would thin out the last of the batter and make what he'd call "German pancakes". Basically crepes but were served with a little melted butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice. According to the image that's an "English pancake". The story my father always told is that towards the end of WWII, his father and uncles were served these by the Germans for breakfast. When they came home, they asked their mothers to make them "those German pancakes" and the name stuck. So is crepes with sugar and lemon a common breakfast item or did the German restauranteurs serve Americans those because that's what they were used to serving English patrons (and in their eyes American=English)?

What he was probably referring to was a Palaschinke, or Pala?inka as it's spelled over here. My favourite is either with apricot jam or nutella and banana slices.

201004081205160.palacinke.jpg

They HAVE to be rolled up, of course. That way you can just inhale them and grow as content as fat as I have.

That must be it and, yes, they are always rolled up. I've passed this on to my kids. My 10 year old daughter loves them and requests them every Sunday morning!

Pfft, kids these days. If I requested anything from my parents at that age, all I got was slapped.

At least for me a "german" pancake is served either with cinnamon and sugar, just powder sugar or apple pur?e. I've never heard a german serving a pancake with lemon juice, but that could be regional. Additionally, the pancakes my mother made are thicker than cr?pes, and we didn't eat them for breakfast but for lunch.

What he was probably referring to was a Palaschinke, or Pala?inka as it's spelled over here. My favourite is either with apricot jam or nutella and banana slices.

They HAVE to be rolled up, of course. That way you can just inhale them and grow as content as fat as I have.

I love palacsinta! My favourite one is where you have a cottage cheese mixture inside, and you pour some vanilla cream over the top....mmmmm:drool:

I see "2 ingredient pancakes" (one banana, two eggs) floating around the internet, has anyone tried them yet?

Personally, a batch of traditional crepes once a month or so does the trick. they're too time consuming for any more than that...

I have tried em couple of times.. we made them with one egg, one banana -way. add couple table spoons of flour in to the mix keeps them intact when flipping. they are good and theyre suppose to be "healthy" for you too..

The main draw for me is that I don't have any baking powder in the house to make banana bread :lol:

I'll give them a try sometime this week.

Update: made banana pancakes, which is about as descriptive as I feel one needs to be for the result.

1.5 overripe bananas into the blender with one large egg and ~1.5 tbs flour; liquify.

a little inviscid on the pour, so I added another ~2tbs flour which might have been a touch much.

Appearance wise, they look like pancakes with a touch of tortilla.

Taste: First was nice and light, the ones after were more dense, but not bad.

Flavor: not overwhelmingly banana flavored, but like adding bananas to the mix.

Conclusion: easy enough to make on a whim, and a decent way to use up bananas. Recipe will be kept for future reference.

Cr?pes ? la S?bastien...

Put one strip of bacon, and pour some maple syrup.

20150201_104948.jpg.jpg

Roll

20150201_105042.jpg.jpg

Dig in

20150201_105124.jpg.jpg

To many pictures of pancakes, not enough recipes here!
We make them fairly regularly, crepes or the smaller fatter ones which we call american cause that's what the recipe said. :D

We used to make them almost every weekend, Saturday or Sunday, for breakfast.
Not as often anymore, but I bet when the kid grows up a bit we'll get right back to that tradition.

Also, tried my hand at some pancake 'painting', for now just simple things like hearts and smileys.