cricket - the ashes

raheel_qamar said:
flyingfridge said:
To be honest, and I'm not just saying it because of the Ashes, I've been saying it since Steve Waugh left, I really don't think Ricky Ponting is suitable for Aus captaincy. I think the bloke is a fantastic cricketer, and I am a big fan, I just don't think he's a good captain. There are other guys in that team who I believe could do a better job.

What you saying dude.... The Aus Team has won two consecutive world cups under him...won the previous 4 or 5 Ashes series...won so many international series....and now that Australia has lost This years Ashes series, Ponting is being blamed.... This is a sport..there are always ups and downs.. :)

He's a good one day captain, he doesn't captain tests well. I know there are ups and downs, but there are issues too. Hell I can take the downs, we just lost the Ashes. Ponting didn't win the last 4 or 5 Ashes series though, that was Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor.

Shane Warne would be the better captain, but due to his off-field indiscretions, that isn't going to happen. That is why Ricky Ponting was in constant consultation with him during the game.

Michael Vaughn proved to be the better captain with those field placings and tactics to stifle our players.

I think Justin Langer is the best candidate, I don't think Gilly or Matt Hayden would do a bad job either.

I don't think Langer or Hayden have the cricketing brains to be captains. They are very good cricketers, but they are only good at what they do. That's why someone like McGrath wouldn't be very suited to the job either. That's why people like Botham who was a legend at the game failed in his job as captain, and dropped soon after.

Gilly on the other hand has been quite successful as captain. He won the India in India series last year. But I think it would be too much workload to be a batsman, and wicketkeeper as well.

I'll be interested to see what happens though.