Cyclekarts

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys
Not sure how I've only just discovered these, but my God, do they look fantastic fun. Based on a mix of kart and cyclecar principles these are small vintage-style racing cars powered by 200cc Honda 4-strokes, on 17" Honda wheels. Pretty much everything else is up to the builder, and some of them look absolutely amazing; not to mention they seem to go really well (up to 40mph). The best thing is, most seem to be around $1500 to build at home.

This really does look like a properly affordable motorsport that's really good fun! There's a good article here introducing the sport.

Some examples:

AleMG4091.jpg

racing-up-the-hill-tieton-2014.jpg

1927_CycleKart_French_Sky_Blue_Alejandro_B_002.jpg

Image%202_10.jpg

Red%2027%20from%20cyclekarts.com.jpg

cycle-karts-9.jpg

smAlfaPortrait.jpg

1922_CycleKart_Great_Britain_Red_Mike_Thorpe_000.jpg

1935_CycleKart_Great_Britain_British_Racing_Green_Beige_Nico_Von_Wildsau_001.jpg

Some of these really have the look down spot on, and are proper looking replicas of cars I watch race at weekends. There doesn't seem be much of a scene for these in the UK, but I can see myself planning to build one of these very soon. A budget toy that looks like one of my favourite vintage cars I can't afford? Awesome!

Last edited:
Those spoked wheels look well flimsy. I suggest you watch a few episodes of Red Bull Soapbox Races before splashing the cash. Especially if there isn't an existing scene in the UK.

The wheels look like they are right off a motorcycle so they should be plenty strong.