cycling!

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Now, now, I know that many FGers dislike bicycles and riders but keep that in one of the other threads we have on the topic. I know some of you ride so maybe you can help me out:

Background: I used to ride all the time when I was a kid but around the age of 13 I stopped. Since then I've stolen my friend's bikes for a few minutes here and there but really my longest ride in the last 10 years was around Boston for a few miles. I'd like to get in better shape and do some cardio and I sure as hell am not about to take up running so I'd like to get into biking.

Trouble is: although I can ride just fine, I don't know much about equipment. The rides I will probably be going on will most often be on pavement, which means that I should get a road bike. However, once in a while I will definitely ride on dirt roads, fire roads, etc - not quite mountain bike territory with ruts, roots, and stones, but probably enough to make you think twice if you're on a road bike (I would assume, maybe I'm wrong). Is there anything out there that will fill my 80%-road/20%-dirt needs? Again, the unpaved sections won't be terrible, just dirt, pebbles and sand maybe, etc.

Thoughts? :)

You probably want a hybrid bike with smoother tires (tires aren't a biggy, good bike shops should let you swap the tires on a bike for a different set when you buy it (unless you're looking at more expensive tires)). In any case, heading down to a bike shop and trying out a couple bikes would give you the best idea of what you want, and you'll need to do it anyways to get something comfortable for you.

but, *ahem* http://forums.finalgear.com/off-topic/bicycles-35650/ (also has an exclamation mark in the title!)

Last edited: