Dad's PC Turns on for second then PSU shuts off.

NAIDANAC A

Car(s)
300E
Another help thread from me...sorry but had no idea what to put into google.

His power supply is switched on, then he turns the PC on and the fans spin for 1/16th of a turn then it shuts off. He then tries to power on the computer again but nothing happens. So he switches the switch on the PSU and then turns the computer on and the fans spin for 1/16th of a turn.

This is his second power supply he tried. I am thinking its the motherboard or something but really have no idea. Do you guys?

Honestly, sounds like a PSU issue. I had one overload and do that, and I bought bigger one and it did the same, then I bought a BIGGER one and I was ok.

I agree with gtrietsc. It most definitely sounds like a PSU problem. What are the specs on the current unit?

I don't know exactly but this computer has been fine for 3 years, and he bought a new PSU today to see if that was it...and it does the same thing.

You can't open the computer and see how many watts it is?

try to power it with just motherboard, psu and cpu. That will tell u if its the wattage problem.

The PSU is the first thing I would have checked, but since 2 different PSUs do the same thing, it's probably the motherboard. I'd bet on that, but I have seen - only once, mind you - where a bad video card caused the same problem.

Reset the CMOS on the motherboard (http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS) and tyr again, If that doesn't work, either the Psu (not likely since a new one was bought) or the motherboard has had it.

Id also suggest starting with the bios. Check the mobos site for an update or reset it. Re-seat all of the components, RAM, power connections, etc...

Ya we tried switching the jumpers and nothing, I think its the mobo. We can't get anything to powe on at all so we cant go into the bio settings.

Well...we have switched Graphics card, switched mobo with new cpu, ram and everything. Nothing works... and he thinks its the case power on button (which the case is the only thing that hasn't changed). Any idea how to turn it on without a case just to see if it runs?

Well...we have switched Graphics card, switched mobo with new cpu, ram and everything. Nothing works... and he thinks its the case power on button (which the case is the only thing that hasn't changed). Any idea how to turn it on without a case just to see if it runs?

Just use a screw driver to touch the two poles together that the power button plugs into.

Just use a screw driver to touch the two poles together that the power button plugs into.

I did that, and it is happening again, the CPU fan spins a bit then stops. This is a new Mobo, Ram, PSU, everything and it is doing the exact same thing...

are u maybe trying using 230v psu on a 110v power grid? or vice versa? It sounds very weird that you got the same problem even when all components were changed.

The PSU is 115V, but the old PSU and PC work perfectly for 3 years, then just stopped. I am completely grasphing at straws, but maybe the old mobo was faulty and killed both PSU's. Now with the new computer the PSU is dead when we try with the new parts.

Last edited: