Dallas Junkyard Runs

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Since I'm going to be doing quite a few more of these, what with my upcoming MegaSquirt + EDIS conversion on the Series III (in tandem with another Series III owning friend), I thought I'd just make one post and update it.

My latest run was Sunday, January 25. The yard in question was "Atomic Al's Pick-U-Part," now part of the giant LKQ junkyard empire.

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

Shame about the ricing... this frogdesign (they penned it for Nissan) car was one of my favorite designs of the 80s. Not a great car, not bad, but I did like the aesthetic value of the design.

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

And yes, the door handles are broken (XJ40).

IMG_2616.JPG

One of the objectives of the day - an 86 XJ6, from which a distributor was scored. Needed it to resurrect a friend's car.

Also snagged some EDIS stuff from a Ford Explorer and a Ford Taurus.

IMG_2635.JPG

Downtown Dallas does have a nice skyline. :D

Last edited:
928s are evilly expensive to maintain here, so that's where a lot of them end up. A lot of the rest end up with LSx drivetrain swaps.

I love how they balance the cars on steel rims. At the yard I go to, they just dump the cars on the ground.

Last edited:
The steel rims are welded to each other, so they're pretty safe jackstands. It's pretty standard around here, so the yards don't have to keep getting forklifts out to flip cars over.

Last edited:
I wish they'd do that here. Theres no way to get under the car, and bringing your own jack is not allowed.

Someone should point out to them that they can increase their per-car profit by 50% or more if they elevate their cars.

unless there is another frog design... they did not design (nor pen) the 1987-1990 Pulsar NX (N13 series). It was an internal design lead in Japan.

There was an internal design lead, but all the same, the exterior was done by frogdesign. They also set the design language for the 80s Nissans, including the Hardbody and Pathfinder.

Jesus Dallas has some awesome junk yards! Hey Spectre, one of these days when I'm back in Texas I will some how find you and we'll go dumpster diving.

Yep we do have good ones around here. I really need to go find me a new head light for my celica. waiting till it warms up this 40 degree weather is killing me.

Which of your headlights is bad and what's wrong with it?

Passanger side low beam(farthest to the left if looking at it) the glass(real glass) is cracked
Toyota wanted $200 for it told them to f*** off.
Saddly for how normal of a car it is it is kinda rare around here.

design on the pulsar...

design on the pulsar...

I know you have tons of rep power points, (here) i don't... and with no disrespect...

but, on this one - please trust me, frog design (it's two words - this was changed 3 years during the rebranding from the multi-color logo to the green/gray) did not do any design work for nissan in the 70's, 80's or 90's. they did not do any design language work for nissan - ever.

The car industry and design worlds in California (,Germany and Japan) are very small.

when it comes to knowing this one... i do have tons of rep power points.

--FW

There was an internal design lead, but all the same, the exterior was done by frogdesign. They also set the design language for the 80s Nissans, including the Hardbody and Pathfinder.

Last edited:
I know you have tons of rep power points, (here) i don't... and with no disrespect...

but, on this one - please trust me, frog design (it's two words - this was changed 3 years during the rebranding from the multi-color logo to the green/gray) did not do any design work for nissan in the 70's, 80's or 90's. they did not do any design language work for nissan - ever.

The car industry and design worlds in California (,Germany and Japan) are very small.

when it comes to knowing this one... i do have tons of rep power points.

--FW

Yes, the name was changed in the rebranding... but it WAS "frogdesign" at the time and it was that firm that did the work. At the time, it was a huge thing in all the auto rags of the day.

There used to be a copy of one of the rags online that had an interview with the Nissan design head as well as a fd spokesperson. It was quite interesting; I can't find it now. I'll look for it some more, but you should look at fd's own web page - http://www.frogdesign.com/about/management-team/

Robert Fabricant
Executive Creative Director

Robert Fabricant is the Executive Creative Director of frog design in New York, where he leads multidisciplinary design teams for clients such as BBC, Comcast, GE, MTV, Nextel, and Nissan.

Last edited:
still a no...

still a no...

Mr. Fabricant started at frog in 2001... Please notice the decades listed in my posting. I a aware of what he has done for Nissan - its well after the 80's and nothing about exterior styling nor language systems... be sure to read the next sentance of his bio.

I know the frogdesign website - and that page ? you might say intimately...

you might question where i all of a sudden came from, and why i picked this thread...

trust me on this one (again) - frog design did not work on that car. might it be inspired by work done for apple, yamaha, sony, etc. at that time... I can't say - but i can say frog design did not work on that car, nor any cars for Nissan in the 80's, nor any design languages for them.

I promise.

-FW

Yes, the name was changed in the rebranding... but it WAS "frogdesign" at the time and it was that firm that did the work. At the time, it was a huge thing in all the auto rags of the day.

There used to be a copy of one of the rags online that had an interview with the Nissan design head as well as a fd spokesperson. It was quite interesting; I can't find it now. I'll look for it some more, but you should look at fd's own web page - http://www.frogdesign.com/about/management-team/

I'll let the matter drop for now... but I reserve the right to resurrect it later, should I find that old article (or any other) that discusses it.

I really like the EXA, and it's a shame they didn't bring it over here.

Come on weather!! Warm up here so that I can start hitting the pick-ur-parts here in KC. :)