Dallas Junkyard Runs

I guess the S12 suffers from the same disease as my Integra... They're both predecessors of very popular vehicles and no one really cares about them...

is it a type R? bring it to europe, V-Tec crowd goes crazy over those
(and since the RSX was never sold here, there isn't really an alternative)

is it a type R? bring it to europe, V-Tec crowd goes crazy over those
(and since the RSX was never sold here, there isn't really an alternative)

Nope, this is the generation of Integra I have... These were only sold in Europe as a 5 door hatch.
4441094465_7c0528a069_z.jpg

That integra looks good, i'd not mind one.

Made a number of trips to the junkyards recently, but it's been too damn hot for me to want to stop and take pictures. Still, I stopped by Pick N Pull during their half-price sale this past weekend to get some wiring pigtails that were ruined by the GDPO on my truck. Walked in and this was their 'rebuilder lot':

Hmmmm.... One of these things is not like the others.

It appears to be a complete 1965 Oldsmobile Starfire - one owner, low miles.

That Olds is pretty cool.

If that Olds was a sedan, I'd tell you to make sure that it hadn't been driven off a bridge.

Do you ever find Ramblers on your runs? My boss is trying to find complete power steering to rebuild his to have power steering... but it ain't easy to find.
Edit:
It's a 1969 Rambler American 440 wagon with a I6.

Last edited:
Occasionally. The yards I'm going to don't usually have cars quite that old any more. Would you like some referrals where you might be able to find what's needed?

Occasionally. The yards I'm going to don't usually have cars quite that old any more. Would you like some referrals where you might be able to find what's needed?

That would be great, as he is planning on using it as a daily driver, without power steering his wife isn't as much of a fan of the car. :p

Does the Rambler share a steering rack with the Pacer? A friend of a friend is a major Pacer hoarder...

I very rarely look at this thread but I fear that if I was standing in front of that Olds I might have no choice but to take it with me. Price seems a little high but it depends on the guts.

Does the Rambler share a steering rack with the Pacer? A friend of a friend is a major Pacer hoarder...

After some research, turns out that Pacer is the only one that doesn't work as a donor. :p
They use rack and pinion, while the Rambler uses recirculating ball or whatever they're called.

pre '75 American, Geremlin and Hornet work as donors.

Last edited:
After some research, turns out that Pacer is the only one that doesn't work as a donor. :p
They use rack and pinion, while the Rambler uses recirculating ball or whatever they're called.

pre '75 American, Geremlin and Hornet work as donors.

Hm. That kind of implies that the Concord would also be a good donor. Is it pre-75 Gremlin and Hornet as well?

Is that the 232ci (3.8L) or the 199ci (3.3L) I6? They're basically the same engine but the 232 is the classic Jeep engine that later became the 258 and then the 4.0. If so, you can scavenge later Jeep parts.

Short of the above information, I'd suggest what he purchase from the junkyard would be the original brackets and fasteners then junk (or send in for core) the original hoses, pump and steering box. The latter two pieces are available in the aftermarket for little cost - the pump is a classic GM Saginaw pump used on Camaros and Corvettes in the 60s and 70s. The box is a common 60s and 70s GM unit from literally too many models for me to list. IIRC there's a more recent car's box (want to say late S-10 pickup) that drops right in and is an upgrade, in addition to the Delphi 670 aftermarket upgrade. The hoses are available brand new for less than $25 total off RockAuto from reputable brand names.

If he wishes to use it as a daily driver, he would be well advised to upgrade to a modern CDI type ignition via Pertronix, Lumenition, etc. and a modern alternator in addition to the power steering if he hasn't already.

Hm. That kind of implies that the Concord would also be a good donor. Is it pre-75 Gremlin and Hornet as well?

Is that the 232ci (3.8L) or the 199ci (3.3L) I6? They're basically the same engine but the 232 is the classic Jeep engine that later became the 258 and then the 4.0. If so, you can scavenge later Jeep parts.

Short of the above information, I'd suggest what he purchase from the junkyard would be the original brackets and fasteners then junk (or send in for core) the original hoses, pump and steering box. The latter two pieces are available in the aftermarket for little cost - the pump is a classic GM Saginaw pump used on Camaros and Corvettes in the 60s and 70s. The box is a common 60s and 70s GM unit from literally too many models for me to list. IIRC there's a more recent car's box (want to say late S-10 pickup) that drops right in and is an upgrade, in addition to the Delphi 670 aftermarket upgrade. The hoses are available brand new for less than $25 total off RockAuto from reputable brand names.

If he wishes to use it as a daily driver, he would be well advised to upgrade to a modern CDI type ignition via Pertronix, Lumenition, etc. and a modern alternator in addition to the power steering if he hasn't already.

Yeah, pre '75 Gremlin and Hornet as well, and it's a 232ci.

and thanks for info. ^^

Yeah, pre '75 Gremlin and Hornet as well, and it's a 232ci.

and thanks for info. ^^

Can you get me a pic of the side of the block where the power steering pump would bolt up?

Can you get me a pic of the side of the block where the power steering pump would bolt up?

I'll get some on Monday.

This is the only one i got right now.
x2muhxV.jpg

Just found another picture on my phone. But i'll try to take some better ones on monday.
6rtCdiX.jpg

Edit: fixed image

Last edited:
Had another long run to the junkyards on Sunday, taking advantage of the Labor Day extended holiday weekend and the related half price sale. I'll be making another on on Monday, but I doubt I'll be out there all day like today.

In the rebuilder lot of Pick N Pull Dallas South - "Drive Heavy, Drive Chevy!" (Look on the Suburban's windshield.)

Hey, rick, want to try again with an older SHO? :p

1973 Thunderbird

Part of the reason for the run was to get parts from a Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac Fleetwood for thomas' new Fleetwood. They had one of each at this yard; unfortunately, someone had already removed the center console cupholder from this Roadmaster.

Someone went nuts with the car markers.

The Fleetwood (which I'd raided for some parts last week) still had some stuff to give up for thomas' car, like a right side doorpull (same on the front and rear doors). Unfortunately the front half of the interior had already been pretty stripped and the dash pad in this car was actually worse.

The tail fins on this model Caddy are urethane or ABS (can't recall which) moldings that stretch from the license plate holder cavity to the outside of the rear quarter panels - all one big piece.

In their infinite wisdomidiocy, GM decided that the corporate underhood light should be riveted to the underside of the hood. Small wonder almost all of them are broken off and few survive in the junkyard.

This X308 had a *really* bad day.

This unfortunate Mercedes 400E (my personal preference from the pre-facelift W124s from the standpoint of performance to ownership cost ratio) was in there. No significant collision damage - pretty sad.

This E38 was parked outside. From the looks of it, it might have been better consigned to the inside of the yard, not the parking lot.

Then there was the usual assortment of parking lot awfulness. This CVPI had "26 foot" wheels according to the fender badge.

Look carefully at the rear passenger quarter window (click for higher resolution version) of this classically-riced Civic - somehow I doubt the driver or the vehicle has been around the Ring.

Went over to the Dallas South Central location and spotted this rather tasteful 6th generation Ford F-series pickup. Slightly lowered, on reasonable wheels, looked pretty good. Mexican registration, too.

Don't get too close to the perimeter fencing... or be a third world jackass and urinate on the fencing.

An Audi cabrio with a duct tape top...

The worst convertible of the 1990s, the Geo Metro convertible. Notable for having a payload including passengers of just 500lbs, it could not legally or safely carry any more than two football players or similarly large men. Which wasn't really a problem because men would not be caught dead in it. :p

The one Roadmaster at this yard was distinctly lacking most interior parts...

This is what's left of 2008 Kia Spectra (please note different spelling :p). I'd say this is a rickmobile, but I don't think even he'd buy this horrible thing were it intact and running.

The first VW Passat we actually got as a Passat in the US:

Looks mostly intact. I wonder why it's here. No, wait, I don't.

A B12 Nissan Sentra Sport Coup? - used to see these fairly regularly in the 80s and 90s, but they're all gone now.

Jaguar X308 with many layers of paint burned off by the Texas sun.

A 1986 Honda Prelude that mysteriously (even for Texas) does not seem to have been consumed by rust.

An interesting vintage take on the concept of a truck brush or grille guard.

The exact same design would still be installed on trucks a decade or so later. Fortunately, it's extinct now.

Went back over to the Dallas South location, had the misfortune to see this en route.

1978 Ford LTD at Dallas South.

And some of the spoils - I met up with another local to harvest parts off of other vehicles.

TIL the Kia Spectra was available in pink.

BTW, have you seen a first gen Integra with a rust free hatch?