Dear American FG members, help me find and purchase a rwd, V8 powered exotic!

If you are going to look at duallies, the field gets a lot bigger - but it'll be harder to pass off as a light duty truck when you import it. :p

Also, they are about 100" wide.

How is a truck even close to an exotic?

The same way that a Lamborghini is even close to an exotic for you - it comes from another continent, and nobody has one.

That's a longbed chassis that they swapped a shortbed onto and coachbuilt an extension onto the cab.

Here is our latest candidate. Seems to check all the boxes.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/2053926518.html

The owner thoughtfully saved me the (admittedly not far) trip to their home and sent better pictures.

26237005008_ORIG.jpeg

26236957292_ORIG.jpeg

26237269581_ORIG.jpeg

26237923548_ORIG.jpeg

26238641861_ORIG.jpeg

More here. I do not believe that the small child is included in the package. :p

Looks like it pretty much comes with anything anyone would want in a 9th gen. Needs a tailgate and a new taillight, but that's minor. It is 4x4 and automatic.

That is one hell of a front bumper.

You're making me want one of these, Avanti. I could bully people around in downtown Chicago. Parking might be a bit... annoying, however.

They have been banned a few years ago. In 2002 manufacturers agreed not to fit them anymore, in 2006 they got banned for all newly registered cars. The million Euro question is, does your future car count as a newly registered one or not :lol:
However, if you register it with a gross mass over 3.5t you will be fine.

Neither the front nor the rear bumpers on that truck are stock. It would be easy enough to change it back if you needed or wanted to.

You will not get that past inspection I'm afraid, they have been clamping down on stuff like that since a few years now.....

Easiest would just be to get a stock bumper, then put the zombieplow back on after the technical inspection, if anyone ever gives you shit for it you have your COC as a single import, and nobody will be able to prove that it wasent on during the initial inspection.....

In other words : cheat

Do you get a CoC for a single import of a used car? Aren't they only issued for new EU cars?

On the finding out, you could write mails to those three institutions. Probably you should get information from people who have imported similar cars before though, pickup forums for Euro people and similar stuff.

Do you get a CoC for a single import of a used car? Aren't they only issued for new EU cars?

You do, it makes them money......700 quid for a piece of paper aint bad.

So who do I get the CoC from, TUV?

Which documents do I need to import the truck? Just a contract which states the purchase price and a bill of lading?

From what I understand you need a customs form '705' (not sure if this is called the same all over Europe) , over here you get this simply by going to the customsguy in your local technical inspection station, with the shipping documents and the paperwork the harborcustoms gave you.
No clue how this works in Italy.
You will need its proof of registration in the US (to prove its origins), a simple copy of the previous owner's should be fine.

The actual CoC you will get when it passes its initial technical inspection as a single import , this is not a standardized CoC, this is a CoC for a single vehicle, noting things like the exeption for the taillightindicators , weight, loadratings ,tyresize etc etc......

That's actualy a good thing, cause for as long as the truck is in Europe = anything marked on that CoC is the bible for every technical and legal issue various people might start wining about.

Last edited:
No clue how this works in Italy.

That's actualy a good thing, cause for as long as the truck is in Europe = anything marked on that CoC is the bible for every technical and legal issue various people might start wining about.

I will import and get the truck approved in Germany, then it is just a formality getting the Italian plates.

So with regards to the bumpers for example, if I throw those in the bed and have original ones for the inspection, the big ones will not be mentioned on coc, what happens if I get pulled over? (This is obviously a minor issue, since I don't "need" those bumpers, but still).

I will import and get the truck approved in Germany, then it is just a formality getting the Italian plates.

So with regards to the bumpers for example, if I throw those in the bed and have original ones for the inspection, the big ones will not be mentioned on coc, what happens if I get pulled over? (This is obviously a minor issue, since I don't "need" those bumpers, but still).

Nothing,.... they will ask about them, you tell them it passed the inspection with them on , you show them the CoC , proving that your vehicle is compleetly road-legal 'as is' , they will assume that if the bumpers werent important enough to note, its not an issue safetywise (wich it isent anyway) ,case closed.....

Cops tend to be compleety in the dark about legislations surrounding yank's , even if it has a machinegun on the roof, if it has a CoC, its roadlegal as far as they are concerned.

When I said 'people wining about it' I did not mean cops, I mean the annual technical inspection (might want to take the bumpers back of for that) , the people at the DMV , insurancecompanies, and (much lesss important) the 'that thing aint legal on our roads, you should buy a Corsa because blahdiefockingblah.....' argument starting crowd :p

Last edited: