Dear American FG members, help me find and purchase a rwd, V8 powered exotic!

I'll include a jumper wire with a diode soldered into the middle, then. :p With instructions to remove it once the TUV guy is done with the truck.

Last edited:
1. Keeps it legal while its here.
2. Safety issue - if you have your fog lights on, you probably should have your marker/position lights on as well.
3. Keeps you from being an idiot, and lets you turn off all the lights with just one switch. You know, instead of being a not unusual BMW/other German car type owner and remembering to shut off the headlights but forgetting to turn off their fog/driving lights - and then needing to get a jumpstart from the guy in the big black British car (which was designed by people smart enough to include a relay linking the aux lights to the headlight switch.)

Not being insulting, I have had lots of German car owners ask me for jumps over the years because they left their fogs on.

Been there done that. The fog/driving lights are separate from the headlights in the GTI, I had to get a jump once when i turned off the headlights but forgot the driving lights. Was a pain in the ass ad made me feel stupid. Done it more than once, but got lucky the other times.

Even my old '94 VW made a warning sound when you forgot to switch off the lights when you left the car. You say your Golf from 14 years later doesn't do that? Must be a special (lack of) feature for the US...

Even my old '94 VW made a warning sound when you forgot to switch off the lights when you left the car. You say your Golf from 14 years later doesn't do that? Must be a special (lack of) feature for the US...

Our old '90 T3 didn't :lol: but then it had two batteries, so it could jump-start itself.

And even then, they may have the warning tone linked to the main headlights, but they always seem to forget to link it to the fog lights or driving lights. My 92 E32 was that way.

Meanwhile, back in Jag-land, every Jag since the Series II XJ (1975) kills the factory fogs when you turn the headlights off. :p I do not understand why the German makers stole the "stupid window trick" with the key in the door lock but to this day often can't be arsed to spend $3 to put the fog lights on a relay connected to the headlight switch.

Last edited:
Okay, then either spend another $0.40 and use a dual input relay with one going to the headlight switch and another going to the ignition switch, or just link it to the ignition. It's still stupid. Even my Rover 800/Sterling 827 wasn't that dumb and they made some really dumb mistakes with that car.

And if you have your fogs on, you should probably have your parking/marker lights on. When you turn those off, your fog lights should go off as well.

Last edited:
Either way, the German makes refuse to do it. Instead, most of them just have a battery-direct switch and no link to a warning tone. It is not at all uncommon over here to see a German car sitting parked in a lot with nobody in it and the fog lights on.

Of course, when the drivers come out, they immediately go find the Jaguar owner as the most likely source of both jumper cables and a jump. :p

Last edited:
Strange, all the (newer) cars I know beep when you have any lights on (apart from the dedicated and useless "parking light" position Ford puts in) when you open the driver's door with the key not in the ignition (or, in case of keyless go, with ignition off). And the most comon switch esign is a single rotary switch that automatically turns off the fog lights too when you turn it to "off".

I will double check later, but I think the chime is only for the main lights. Though it is possible I just didn't hear it when I got out of the car.

I don't have fog lights.

Any new fun trucks?

My Volvo is idiot-proof. No key, no lights. Everything shuts off when you remove the key.

On topic - 26 pages and I still don't know - did you buy a truck already?

BUMP! Any news?

CJ and I have been surprisingly busy of late in our individual lives. Also, some of the recent candidates were... suboptimal. One I looked at had the passenger door fall off when I opened it; another had giant clouds of smoke and not a little fire come out from under the hood when restarted.

Last edited: