Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
As many of you know, I am currently in a Master's program of Communication. This semester I have decided to embark on a qualitative study that involves us as a community.

The main focus and object of analysis is - does, and if so how, our affinity for cars (and Top Gear by extension) affect our social identities and communicative actions with others.

To look for answers I will look at the ways we interact on the boards and how the discussions are affected by this affinity and expertise in things automotive (don't worry, the NSFW section is off limits since it is not accessible to the general public). But most importantly, I would like to ask for volunteers for brief interviews (15-20 minutes, over skype or PM here). I would like to hear your opinions on the issue - has the fact that you like cars affected your social life, and in what ways - beneficial or detrimental? To what extent do you identify as a "car person" and what does this mean to you? Does Top Gear affect the way you interact with family members and friends? These are just examples of the questions I will be looking at.

Identities will be kept private and personal information will not be disclosed.

So what do you guys and girls think? Anyone want to help me out and participate?

While it is a relatively small case study, it has potential to speak about a much bigger phenomenon - car enthusiasts in general.

Last edited:

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Thanks, Redliner! I really appreciate you stepping up.

And just to clarify for people - this is not an individual study, nothing to do with psychology. It is a cultural study regarding car the car enthusiast as a unique identity type in social interactions and events. We'll see if the data supports it...I think there's something there, but until I talk to people I can't properly support any claims.

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
Ugh.. I didn't enjoy doing these at all (as a student), I'll help you out. :)

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Thanks, guys! You are awesome!

I hope more people will step up too.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
I'm in, but I want to read the paper that comes out of it and mercilessly rip apart your methodology! :p

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
I'd be happy to help, even if I was not aware that me liking cars had any effect on my social life...

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
FiST in mah butt
AW: Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

AW: Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

Sure, why not.

I'd be happy to help, even if I was not aware that me liking cars had any effect on my social life...
Well, for starters you've met with certain people and attended social events (i.e. ringmeet) that you probably wouldn't have otherwise. ;)

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
i like being the subject of a study!!! :D

if i get to see the results though :)

brydie76

Viva Las Clarksonistas!
Car(s)
2012 Suzuki Swift Sport/Aprilia Sportcity 200
You can count the crazy Ford fan in!!!

Doing this study in Aus would be hilarious, just the Ford vs Holden thing over here says it all...

thomas

Grouchy Beemer Owner
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'00 M539, '94 Cadillac Fleetwood, '16 Focus Wagon
Srsly danrom.. you didn't notice that it affected your social life when you spent weekends at the ring with a bunch of strangers, over and over again? :D