Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
As many of you know, I am currently in a Master's program of Communication. This semester I have decided to embark on a qualitative study that involves us as a community.

The main focus and object of analysis is - does, and if so how, our affinity for cars (and Top Gear by extension) affect our social identities and communicative actions with others.

To look for answers I will look at the ways we interact on the boards and how the discussions are affected by this affinity and expertise in things automotive (don't worry, the NSFW section is off limits since it is not accessible to the general public). But most importantly, I would like to ask for volunteers for brief interviews (15-20 minutes, over skype or PM here). I would like to hear your opinions on the issue - has the fact that you like cars affected your social life, and in what ways - beneficial or detrimental? To what extent do you identify as a "car person" and what does this mean to you? Does Top Gear affect the way you interact with family members and friends? These are just examples of the questions I will be looking at.

Identities will be kept private and personal information will not be disclosed.

So what do you guys and girls think? Anyone want to help me out and participate?

While it is a relatively small case study, it has potential to speak about a much bigger phenomenon - car enthusiasts in general.

Last edited:
Sure. Feel free to contact me. :)

Thanks, Redliner! I really appreciate you stepping up.

And just to clarify for people - this is not an individual study, nothing to do with psychology. It is a cultural study regarding car the car enthusiast as a unique identity type in social interactions and events. We'll see if the data supports it...I think there's something there, but until I talk to people I can't properly support any claims.

Ugh.. I didn't enjoy doing these at all (as a student), I'll help you out. :)

Count me in :)

Thanks, guys! You are awesome!

I hope more people will step up too.

I'm in, but I want to read the paper that comes out of it and mercilessly rip apart your methodology! :p

I'm in.

Count me in!

I'd be happy to help, even if I was not aware that me liking cars had any effect on my social life...

AW: Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

AW: Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

Sure, why not.

I'd be happy to help, even if I was not aware that me liking cars had any effect on my social life...

Well, for starters you've met with certain people and attended social events (i.e. ringmeet) that you probably wouldn't have otherwise. ;)

i like being the subject of a study!!! :D

if i get to see the results though :)

You can count the crazy Ford fan in!!!

Doing this study in Aus would be hilarious, just the Ford vs Holden thing over here says it all...

Srsly danrom.. you didn't notice that it affected your social life when you spent weekends at the ring with a bunch of strangers, over and over again? :D

Re: Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

i'd love to do this! Sociology has always fascinated me.