Ownership Verified: Detroit Steel: The CraigB/Dr_Grip 1972 Ford Country Sedan adventure thread

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
No, the car cost more, 800 was the amount they managed to haggle it down. So let's say 7k down to 6.2k or something.

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Fiat 500 1957 Edition
You, sir, are more of a hero to Germany than Hasselhoff Carl Gotthard Langhans the Germany World Cup team.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DONOR
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Congrats!
And the "FWD" plates look so out of place. :lol:

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
You're crazy, but in a good way. :lol:

Where are you planning on road tripping to? Coming out this way by chance?

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Does it have drums up front? And if so do you plan a retrofit for some discs?
She has drums all around, but I am fine with that for now. It's not that I plan to race her, thus I should be fine with drums.

I really don't think he paid just 800$ for it, that would be ridiculous...
He wrote he haggled the seller down 800$, that's 5200$ instead of 6000$ for example. ;)
The example is still a bit above the price we paid, but sadly, Eye-Q is correct. We did not get this car for $800.

Awesome find guys! Congratulations! Any plans to open up the Cleveland a bit?
Budget and German classic car rules prohibit extensive modifications - the things I could get away with (heads, cam) I can't afford. Thus, we'll probably get an Edelbrock Performer 400 intake manifold and a matching 4 bbl carb and leave it at this.
Period-correct EFI would be an interesting concept fuel economy wise but I fear that'd blow the budget as much as or more than heads would.

Where are you planning on road tripping to? Coming out this way by chance?
We are doing Chicago -> St. Louis -> Memphis (-> detour to Mo-Kan dragway) -> New York City - sorry, won't make it over to you this time!

Last edited:

Hbriz

Ballroom Blitz
Car(s)
'07 Megane dCi
I love the number plate frames. Surely when you drive this you are sailing? What a great car and congrats on fulfilling a dream.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
The rear one reads, "I'd rather be flying". Doug, the previous owner, said they should stay with the car.

Only made it as far as St Louis with the big gal tonight. That's after being on the road for 11 hours. There was an accident on I-70 west of Indianapolis that we detoured around, only to find that the state was detouring traffic further up the way to the same road. The town of Brazil, Indiana was absolute grid lock. So Gena and I found an alternate route through the pothole infested town to detour around the detour.

The grid lock plus the slow speeds are lengthening the trip. I'm not pushing to hard to save fuel. We did managed 13.15 on the last tank with the gridlock and detours. Like the Dr said, it's more than the car would do on its own.

When we stop we get lots of people pointing at the car and asking questions. It's a real hoot.

Here's a couple shots of the big gal's trip today.

uploadfromtaptalk1405383221592.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405383240280.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405383256386.jpg

Last edited:

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000
:thumbsup: Now that is what I call a car. I love how it dwarfs the pickup that is towing it. :lol:

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Holy shit! That's awesome dude. Congrats! :D I can only imagine trying to squeeze that through town wherever you live!

Fun fact:That "Important safety precaution" sticker slapped on the dash btw was due to well...this: http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/04/weekinreview/ideas-trends-the-ford-solution-warning-stickers-instead-of-recall.html

NYTimes said:
The National Highway Safety Administration announced last week it would not order a recall of 16 million Ford Motor Company cars and trucks for repairs - at least, not yet.

Instead, Ford agreed to warn the owners of an estimated 22.9 million vehicles manufactured between 1970 and 1979 that unless ''important safety precautions'' are taken, their FMX, C3, C4, C6 or Jatco automatic transmissions can accidentally slip, causing ''unexpected and possibly sudden vehicle movement.''
Car owners will receive dashboard stickers instructing them not to leave the car when the engine is running, to always use the parking brake and to make sure the gear shift is properly placed in park.

The recall would have been the largest in automobile industry history, costing Ford, which lost about $1.2 billion last year, more than $100 million, according to industry observers. Distributing warning stickers, they said, would cost between $6 million and $10 million.

But a Transportation Department spokesman said the safety agency's ''initial determination'' in June - that design defects were responsible for some 6,000 accidents resulting in 98 fatalities and 1,710 injuries - remains in effect.
Eh if it knocks out a Smart or two i'm sure it'll be practically unscathed! :p :lol:

EDIT: That silver round button on the floor..that's for high beams right?

Last edited:

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Holy shit! That's awesome dude. Congrats! :D I can only imagine trying to squeeze that through town wherever you live!

Fun fact:That "Important safety precaution" sticker slapped on the dash btw was due to well...this: http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/04/weekinreview/ideas-trends-the-ford-solution-warning-stickers-instead-of-recall.html

Eh if it knocks out a Smart or two i'm sure it'll be practically unscathed! :p :lol:

EDIT: That silver round button on the floor..that's for high beams right?
Yup, foot trip high beam.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DONOR
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
If the internet is right, this thing has 5568mm in lenght.

That is almost 2 meters more than my first car.

That is 1.7 meters longer than my current car.

:blink:

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC

This is a pre-Great Downsizing full size car.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000

That makes out to 18.2 feet. So, it's still a solid 2 feet shorter than my F150. Still, I can't wait to see the pictures of it among all of the euro boxes back in Germany.

It will surely be something like this.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
For reference, the deck of the trailer is 18' with a 2' dovetail. She nearly takes the whole thing.