Ownership Verified: Detroit Steel: The CraigB/Dr_Grip 1972 Ford Country Sedan adventure thread

This is a video on an older Country Sedan, but you may find some part sources, techniques of interest or other useful information.

So, no update for almost two years since I was busy with real life throwing a bunch of curveballs. I'll fix at least some of the image links as soon as I figure out a clever way to automatize it (got a full ArmedCats backup), but let's start with the news // "what happend in the meantime".

Firstly, I took Lucille Ice Track Racing at the arctic circle (writeup by @public ).

Secondly, I still have to report on installing the CHI aftermarket heads. I will spoiler that I took her to a dyno and the baseline is 298PS at the rear wheels, which should translate to 350-ish at the crank. Some day I will book a dyno day to tune her, I'd love to have 308 like this guy. Dyno sheet will be posted when i update on head install.

Thirdly, the Holley Sniper failed on my on holidays in Poland, not only 500km away from Berlin, but also 350km from my Hotel as we were on a day trip to Gdansk. Another adventure to report on later.

But first, let's start with the status quo - I've done over 20.000 miles in Lucille and sadly it's starting to show.
  • The front bench needs to be reupholstered in the long run
  • The A/C condenser has developed a leak
  • The fuel gauge does not like working in cold weather, probably old grease in the gauge itself getting rock solid at cold temps
  • Alternator warning light in the dash went out
  • The rear window only works intermittently
  • She needs new rotors and pads
  • The starter motor is on the way out and does not engage properly sometimes

So I got her in the shop to rip the starter out. Snuck fit with the headers but luckily I did not have to remove them.

The local starter refurbishment place can't get parts for USDM Ford starters, so I had to order a new one as well as rotors and pads from RockAuto. By the way, when did international shipping with USPS became so insanely expensive that overnighting with FedEx is cheaper? This really takes the fun out of ordering stateside.

And until the parts arrive she's stacked above a slightly smaller Ford wagon.

20k miles. Awesome. Not many folks put that many miles on their classics over the course of a decade.

Shame to hear that the Holley Sniper shit the bed though.

20k miles. Awesome. Not many folks put that many miles on their classics over the course of a decade.

yeah, I think the best I’ve done in 5 years was 16,000mi on my Mercury. :(

it’s not as comfortable as the golf. Good on Herr Doktor for driving a lovely classic.

Cars are for driving.

Which reminds me, I recently found something for this car on my parts shelves - will be sending that over via thomas.

Would suggest a starter blanket or other heat shield to protect the new starter from the heat of the headers.

Last edited:
*also poke*

Reactions: lip
Lucille is Finnished :rofl:

Well, if it's any consultation, I'm tired of reading about covid news and have since turned off the political subforum again. I want to read about fun projects people are doing. :(

Reactions: lip
And I should get back to updating this. There is just such a gigantic backlog by now...