Diagnose a hardware issue

Testing my RAM one stick at a time, then I'm gonna reinstall 7 just for the hell of it, there's really nothing on the drive anyway. Might Spinrite the dirve first, haven't decided. If all that doesn't fix it I'm RMA'ing the mobo. This is really annoying. Although, I have been told it still may be the RAM even though there's no errors when running the Memtest. It's Mushkin brand RAM, but it's on the QVL for the mobo, I made sure of that.

Ah, these are tricky situations.

Just thinking out loud:

I see there's a bios update from not too long ago that mentions improving compatibility with ram.

Then, related to this, last but not least. Try entering the memory timings and speed manualy, as per:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P7H55D-M+EVO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I always try to stress certain parts specifically, you've already done memtest.

Is there something you can do that forces a crash everytime? Starting a certain game for example?

Maybe try orthos to stress the CPU.

Unhook all the drives and try some kind of live cd.. does it crash there too?

See if there are updates for any drivers, mobo, audio etc etc.

Last edited:
I did Prime95 to stress the CPU and RAM and it does crash, this is only for 1 hour tho, I haven't tried to run it longer than that. I did update the BIOS just before I started this thread. However I found something out from RAM manufacturer, even tho the RAM is on the QVL for motherboard, it's not really supposed to be use for the 1156 chipset. So I started a ticket with RAM manufacturer to do a memory swap with them. Waiting to here back. So I guess that's why it never failed the memtest, because technically the RAM is good, just not completely compatible. Also, there is no specific task that causes the crash. I had just bought a new D-Link router that comes with this Virtual USB utility, and the driver for that was old. I uninstalled that so that maybe the culprit also, but I really think it's the RAM at this point. All I know is, this is annoying <_<

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/cruzz563/2010/04/17/good_news.jpg

So my PC has been running for 3+ days noa with no freezing/crashing! :D
It was the RAM. Even though the RAM was on the QVL from Asus and the memtes, after 12 hours, returned no errors it was incompatible. There's was nothing wrong with the RAM itself. I got some compatible stuff from Mushkin and it been running smoothly. for some reason I did some searches on my RAM and found a forum post, another person was having a similar issue, nearly the same specs on their PC. So happy. <3 ma i7. Wanted to thank you guys for the help and suggestions. :)