Someone Else's Problem: Die Barge von Barking: 2000 Audi S6, or: Can't hear you, my exhausts are so loud!

lip

Car(s)
Renault Twizy
Well, all this happend very sudden: Until a few days ago my plan was to happily drive the Audi 4.2 A6 into the ground until the gearbox/transmission would go out with a big bang or until the MFK (swiss version of MOT) would run out in early 2017. But to be ready for that moment I already went on Autoscout regularly to look out for some other barges with some power, automatic, AWD, new MOT, fresh off service and (most important) in wagon form.

Last Thursday I found an offer (only one day old) for the Audi S6 this post is all about. "Hm, something like this will be the perfect replacement example for the A6 when it goes boom someday", I tought.
But only the next day I said to myself: "Why wait? You want an Audi S6. Get that S6". And so I simply called the garage to ask if they would consider to trade in my A6. "No problem", was the answer. Perfect. Let's do this. And so here we are:

2000 Audi S6 quattro, V8, 340hp, 420nm, 212'000km

1.JPG

Pro:
  • Fresh off inspection and service. Immaculate service history. New belt went in two months ago.
  • Estate. Wagon. Avant. Whatever you call it, it's a large space back there.
  • Much more agressive at the gears as the A6, no "sport mode" necessary here.
  • Sportec exhaust system. Granted it's very loud, but hey... that's why it's so awesome!
  • Still love me a sunroof
  • Snug sport seats.
  • A rear wiper. Yes I know, a mundane piece, but I was missing that badly on the predecessor.
Contra:
  • Save the planet, people! I can't because I drive an old Audi that does about 13L+/100km... :D
  • The car got keyed in one big loop ever every panel. But you have to get close to actually see it because most of it has been painted over with the original color. Anyway that made the car cheap to trade and I don't care much about cosmetics, but people will probably wrongly assume I've been mean to some looser. Thehe.
  • A few rust bubbles below the glass on the rear hatch, quite prominent. Again, don't care much, and if I do someday: Bring out the black duct tape!
  • Grey isn't the most beautiful leather color, also there is no seat position memory. Meh.
  • Car is limited to 250km/h but the speedo goes to 300. This makes the more reality-oriented left side of the dial stupidly cramped.
Neutral:
  • The same dorky stone-age radio/nav unit as in the A6. Granted a Tom-Tom navigation CD from 2013 is in there, so at least it's usable as a backup.
  • Classic faulty Audi centre display. Doesn't bother me. Still readable.
  • Headlamps alignment warning came up during the test drive. This suprised the salesman. Bad timing there, thehe. = Another 100.- down with the price.
  • Not a fan of badges in general.
  • The car is quite hard on the road (atleast in comparison with the soft A6) and you can feel every pebble. On the other hand it's much more confident in the corners.

More pics:

2.JPG

3.JPG

The key scratch. Only visible up close and in certain light, and only on the hood, on all the other panels it has has been painted over.
6.JPG

Come on, I know that 300 is here for bragging but it makes the dial stupidly hard to read during glances at normal day speeds:
DSCN2897.JPG

You know by now I bought this car because it has more power than the A6 and mostly because it's an Avant... but feck all that, because just after one day of ownership the all defining features are now these hilarious things:
4.JPG

Of course:
last.JPG

Oh and btw: You have to turn your volume full up because the dashcam mic is rubbish, but I hope you will get the gist anyway by that massive echo at 0:06 why the word "Barking" is in the thread title. :lol:

Outlook:
As usual the goal is to drive this for about two years and 70'000km... But let's not kidd ourselfs, as the ownership of the A6 has shown, realistically it will be about a year... ;)

Last edited:
Very nice.... I'm super jealous!

Reactions: lip
Props for staying with a beige interior :mrgreen:

Congrats lip. Good car that is.

You are undergoing quite the evolution in your choice of cars. :D Nice one. :thumbsup:

Bring it to Italy in August so I can have a play then get hangry in it? ;)

Bring it to Italy in August so I can have a play then get hangry in it? ;)
Or you can come to Italy at the end of this month and you can play all day long with it while I'm on the piste! :cool:

Btw, should I finally post that video of you being "hangry" in my car during last years roadtrip? Granted, I was egging you on, but still. Like a sailor. :lol:

I would be all over the slopes but starting a new job just this week put the skids under my Alpine adventures for this year. I will be there next year come hell or high water.

Nice! Have a lot of happy kilometres!

Sweet ride, lip! Can't wait to see it :D

But i can't help but ask when you're going to upgrade from the mundane V8 to like.. V10+? :D

^

1. Don't you bully me! :lol:
  2. V10 + V12 = V8 with spares on board! :lol:
  3. Don't think I haven't looked at these crazy C6 RS6 V10's everytime I went trough Autoscout. :blink: :D

What was the question again? Ah I see, when a V10/V12!? Answer: 2020. Probably.

WHAT?! Rumbling around in another Audi V8 at these economical times? How unethical. I'm extremly offended over such an irresponsible level of fast waftage. - Personally offended from my nose to my toes! - What's your goal, to be as comfy as possible and listening to your V8 bark while you burn all the poor fossils?! Shame on you again!
Wait a minute...
Actually most of this doesn't apply to my V8 now I've changed it to suit the S6. :lol:

If you cut those exhausts off send them to me, I want that sound. :D

Last edited:
Oh man, touch?! :lol:

If I cut those exhaust off I will send them to you. Promise. Thehe.

^

1. Don't you bully me! :lol:
  2. V10 + V12 = V8 with spares on board! :lol:
  3. Don't think I haven't looked at these crazy C6 RS6 V10's everytime I went trough Autoscout. :blink: :D

What was the question again? Ah I see, when a V10/V12!? Answer: 2020. Probably.
Well, i you ever feel the need to waft again you should look into 750iL BMWs! My mechanic got one for like ?2300, did ?2k of work on it himself and has been fault free for years now.

Can you fold the rear seats in those? Is it AWD? ;)

Seriously: These BMW's are awesome cars. Damn good looking. And they are cheap to have.

But try to reach a Swiss ski resort during heavy snowfall in one of these... :lol:

Last edited:
Closest you'll get is a ski-passthrough in the center armrest area.

They're surprisingly competent with proper boots in winter.

Oh, so much for "IF"s and "Umm"s :p Also, IceBone's poor fingernails. :mrgreen:

Grats on the same car, with enourmous plumming devices on teh back! :thumbup: That thing is maybe still size of a shopper hatchback, but it sounds properly Barrrrrrrrging :devil:

If you cut those exhausts off send them to me, I want that sound. :D

You can get the same effect changing your rear glasspacks onto casual aftermarket flamebusters. (basically what all ricers do)

...and that wasn't a suggestion, sir, you have a week. :cool:

And for little of irrelevant self-indulging, my PO just sawed rear packs off completely, so it's abit too loud on idle for sleeping districts...

Last edited: