DMCA Notice

I forgot to ask, is this going to affect future episodes too, or is it only the ones up until this point? My understanding is DMCA can only legally be used against specific files, but I can understand if FG wants to cover its own ass (especially if the web host is already teed off)

It's an annoyance, but the episodes will still be readily available to the masses on torrent sites and IRC. It just takes away from the convenience of getting the link(s) here.

I do expect this will reduce finalgear traffic, as part of what made the community here so active was hanging around here waiting for a link. With that step removed, some people may just skip right to other sources.

The previous easy going attitude of the Beeb towards us bought them a lot of favorable attitude, not easily obtained by promotion and marketing; it seemed that those in charge at the Beeb had an understanding attitude towards fans. However, this action against FG has put a bomb under all that good will and blown it all to hell. The BBC is just another mercenary, in it for the profits, big business that doesn't give a damn about the people they are trying to attract.

Certainly it was because of Final Gear that I got into Top Gear, and then in the variant Top Gears in other countries. The Beeb may not care about me, but we all make a community of fans for a particular show, and any producer of TV or movies should know that a community of fans is worth millions in the bank. Only an idiot pisses off the fans and works to turn them against the show. These links were causing more people to be exposed to TG than would have happened otherwise [a lot less people watch TV these days, but lots watch shows on their computers] and resulted in a fervent cult following, which results in more viewers and more sales of DVDs. The Beeb have made the same mistake most other businesses do: they've put the lawyers and accountants in charge, which can't see beyond their own specialty to the bigger picture of public relations and acting benignly about their product that produces more viewers and fans and sales.

Last edited:
Sad thing is I think those people actually believe by doing this they have accomplished something, and I guess in a way they have, but not in the way they think.

It will just push people to make alternative arrangements to still get the show. It was easy to use the links here, but the other ways are not hard either.

What they have done has affected this site slightly, but they have not plugged any holes. In fact, I think everytime these types of things come up, it just encourages more people to learn how to do it.

I did not know one thing about file sharing until the big hype over that music thing what 10 years ago? It got me interested in seeing what all the fuss was about and even though all those people were being sued, I jumped right in anyway.

I am basically very law abiding, and really believe in supporting the things I like. Even though I download top gear, I still own every dvd they have put out with the exception on the past two specials even though they often make it very difficult for me to own them. Things need to change with the way dvds are made and sold. Why should I have to buy a region 2 dvd when I live in a region 1 area?

I do sort of understand the thinking and I know there are people working night and day trying to fingure out how they can keep getting their share of the pie, but what they are doing for the most part is not working. It is sort of like the post office. Every time they increased the cost of postage I used less and now I basically use none because they have made it so difficult for me to even use the service. Stamp machines were taken away, post offices closed, the post office nearest to me is open about 6 hours a day mon thru fri and 2 hours on sat, so if I sleep late sat, no post office for me. I have even stopped buying anything that the post office will be delivering because I find a slip in my box, but can't get there to pick it up. So that translates into more lost revenue for them. Every change they make to save money winds up just cutting them deeper and I am not hurt at all, because there are other ways to do the things I want to do. Same as what is happening here.

Luca;2208520 SNIPPED the torrents and releases will obviously be available on all private and non private trackers anyway said:
I should change my name to Not Internet Savvy. That would make it so obvious to everyone what a fuggin idiot I am when it comes to this.:? Well, I guess if TG isn't coming back with new episodes until January, I've got like 5 months to figure out how to do what everyone else says is so easy.

Well, it was good as long as it lasted ...

It will just push people to make alternative arrangements to still get the show. It was easy to use the links here, but the other ways are not hard either.
The recent 2 - 3 day delay in links to TGUS episodes probably had more than one of us already checking out a few alternatives ... successfully :rolleyes:
I still watch all the half-forgotten TG repeats on my local TV, timeshifted so I can jump the incessant ads.

What they have done has affected this site slightly, but they have not plugged any holes. In fact, I think everytime these types of things come up, it just encourages more people to learn how to do it.
Just as when some narrow-minded group makes a noisy protest about some otherwise B grade movie or minor public parade - the rest of us want to see what all the fuss is about. Who wins? Certainly not those who made the complaint.

When someone builds a 'secure' wall, others will want to check it for cracks. All this site did was tell us there's at least one down the other end.