Do the TG presenter heel and toe?

i believe that clarkson cant do t&h because he always ends up stepping on the clutch with the toe :lmao:

Last edited:
I tend to heel-toe and double-declutch every downshift. Just like doing it. It gets to be very easy once you get to know the characteristics of how your engine revs. My other rule is absolutely no clutch slippage unless I'm just taking off from a standstill in first, and I still have to execute seamless shifts - definitely teaches you to know your gear ratios and engine, or you get a nice shudder when you drop the clutch!

I figure all this clutching is harder on the clutch hydraulics, pressure plate, throwout bearing, release fork, and pivot ball, but easier on the clutch disc itself, and most importantly, easier on the synchros in the transmission. As for extra wear on the engine for all the revving... sure... but damn does it sound good when you get a few in a row flawlessly :D

Not all pedal boxes are of sufficient size compared with size of foot (I have UK size 11s myself) to permit smooth execution of this technique. When buying a car one of the things you need to check and take into account if you want to deploy this on the road.

When they drive the car that they show, do they heel and toe to downshift? Do they? or do they just drive normally? Do you guys heel and toe when downshift?

I thought heel and toe driving IS normal driving, it saves a lot of wear on the clutch and synchros...I have never driven differently. Unless of course I'm driving an automatic, but that hasn't stopped me from blipping the throttle on accident and lurching around a corner :?

I thought heel and toe driving IS normal driving, it saves a lot of wear on the clutch and synchros...I have never driven differently. Unless of course I'm driving an automatic, but that hasn't stopped me from blipping the throttle on accident and lurching around a corner :?

Heal and toeing is normal for a very very small percentage of the population. I know plenty of people who have had cars for well over 100,000 miles and have never had to change clutch, synchros or gearbox. The only reason nowadays for doing it really is for speed purposes.

Ack! There is some serious mis-information here: heel-and-toeing has NOTHING to do with saving clutch wear, although it includes a technique that does.

Most of you are thinking of matching revs, which is not the same as heel-and-toeing. Matching revs is simply blipping the throttle when downshifting, to match the flywheel speed to the speed of the drive shaft according to the gear being shifted into. This is what saves wear on the clutch. This is a technique that should be used every time you downshift or you'll probably cut your clutch's lifespan in half.

Heel-and-toeing is defined as applying the brakes while simultaneously matching revs. It's purpose is for performance driving; so that you can always be at the optimum revs when entering a corner and, as a result, to minimize your braking zone. Although, it's still fun for every day use ;)

As for whether the TG boys heel-and-toe, the first thing I thought of is Richard's Zonda F review. Right near the end, if you watch his legs, he's definitely doing some fancy pedal work (maybe heel-and-toe and double-clutching? :D)

Yeah, I agree with you, I can't see how this would cause engine wear. Either way, your engine is going to be brought up to speed, whether you do it with the throttle or you leave the job to the clutch. ...And braking has no effect on it at all.

Hehe...got any snow out there? I've been having an absolute blast in my 240SX! :D

He probably thinks it's "some right-wing plot" :lol:

Matching revs and heel-toeing are the same thing, they are practically inseparable on the street or the track. When are you going to match revs while not on the brakes? When are you downshifting when not on the brakes? Maybe the rare occasion you need to drop a gear on the highway but that's about it.

Hmm, I will I think I will give this heel and toeing a go during my drving lessons! :p

Matching revs and heel-toeing are the same thing
No, they're not. Read my explanation again.

Matching revs and heel-toeing are the same thing, they are practically inseparable on the street or the track. When are you going to match revs while not on the brakes? When are you downshifting when not on the brakes? Maybe the rare occasion you need to drop a gear on the highway but that's about it.
Which is exactly why "matching revs" and "heel-and-toe" are different things, even if "heel-and-toe" is defined as the combination of "matching revs" and braking simultaneously.

Clarkson being 6'5" (like myself) most likely doesn't heel-toe because in alot of cars (especially small ones) it's physically impossible! The steering wheel and column block your knees too much.

No, they're not. Read my explanation again.

Which is exactly why "matching revs" and "heel-and-toe" are different things, even if "heel-and-toe" is defined as the combination of "matching revs" and braking simultaneously.

ty. All these other people are annoying to read because they think the two are one in the same. There are many times you downshift WITHOUT braking. If i'm going 45 mph, and a car infront of me is going slow, I let off the gas. The car will slow down to their speed without using the brakes. If my RPM dips too low, I'll downshift just to keep the engine RPM up, so i'm not lugging the engine. I don't need to use the brakes during that time, because I'm pretty much at their speed, by then. I rev match everytime I downshift. It makes it a hell of a lot smoother, and obviously, you can feel the clutch saying thanks.

Heel-toe is rev-matching while braking. Primarily on the race track, but I guess in some situations people would do it on the street, although it's not really too beneficial at all. (You can just go into neutral and brake, then into gear, or downshift THEN brake.