Do you have any food hang-ups?

shesquint

Car(s)
I call it Dammit.
Apologies if a thread like this has happened before; I couldn't find it using any of the search terms I tried.

Do you have any food hang-ups? I, for example, can't eat tapioca pudding; it looks like it's full of little cysts which would erupt disgustingly, possibly with something virulent, if crushed between my teeth. I also can't eat shrimp, because I imagine that's what chomping down on a big, white grub would feel like. I have a friend who can't eat lettuce because the cells are too visible, and she steers clear of walnuts because they look like little vaginas.

What about you?

Last edited:
I don't like eating onions. I love cooking with them, but the texture of onions is what I imagine eating bugs is like...:yucky:

^ That is really, really gross and upsetting and I hope to g/God/s I don't remember that next time I'm eating something with raw red onions in it.

I like every product made of tomatoes, but I don't like to eat tomates as such. They are so sludgy and slimy, totally disgusting! :sick:

I hate green beans if they're not cooked into yellowness. They make a squeaking noise when I chew them that is worse than nails on a chalkboard, because it's all up in my head.

I hate coffee. A lot. I hate it in pretty much every form you can get it in - and I've tried every form you can get it in, because I knew a guy who refused to admit that someone in this world could hate coffee and tried to convert me.

Is that more a drink hangup?

I am aware I might be flamed to death for this, but I very much dislike beer. I have tried many kinds of beers, I keep trying beer once in a while, but I find the taste absolutely horrid. Beer even smells like vomit at times.

Last edited:
I hate green beans if they're not cooked into yellowness. They make a squeaking noise when I chew them that is worse than nails on a chalkboard, because it's all up in my head.

Have you ever tried one straight off the vine? There's next to no squeaking (I never experience any, anyway) and they're at their most delicious that way.

With you on the squeaking food, though. Come to think of it, add "fat" to my food hang-ups. It squeaks and gets stuck in my throat like a big wad of smoker phlegm, because I can never manage to chew it properly. People think it's weird that I cut the fat off my steaks, but so be it.

You know, I'm probably going to regret clicking on this thread later, when I eat some of the food that's mentioned. (I LIKE tapioca and shrimp and onions - just not all together.)

I can't stand broccoli - even the smell of it is enough to put me off of my food. And it's probably more of an allergy thing, but every time I eat scallops, I get nauseous. No other shellfish - just scallops.

(BTW Shesquint, growing up, my dad used to call tapioca "Frog's eye pudding." Kind of surprised that I still like tapioca, now that I think about it.)

Brussel F****** Sprouts - my mum made me eat 'em - they were and are disgusting and should be classed as a weapon of mass destruction IMHO.

/EDIT Bone - I associate them with being violently sick and Weapons of Mass destruction.

Last edited:
I hate coffee. A lot. I hate it in pretty much every form you can get it in - and I've tried every form you can get it in, because I knew a guy who refused to admit that someone in this world could hate coffee and tried to convert me.

Is that more a drink hangup?

I am aware I might be flamed to death for this, but I very much dislike beer. I have tried many kinds of beers, I keep trying beer once in a while, but I find the taste absolutely horrid.

I am almost like that with beer. It?s very hard for me to find one I like.One of the few:
murphys-irish-stout[1].jpg

Last edited:
Liver. I love my meat, but I don't like the smell or taste of it. I haven't eaten liver in ten years, but I still remember how gross it looked raw.

Liver. I love my meat, but I don't like the smell or taste of it. I haven't eaten liver in ten years, but I still remember how gross it looked raw.

I used to hate liver but once I tried foie gras, I was hooked, and worked my way slowly backward through various types of pat?. I now enjoy most liver dishes, though usually ones where it's blended with something else and isn't the major component of the flavor.

I have no problem with most tomato products, but I can not eat a whole tomato. Cut me a slice from the best tomato in the world, and I'll choke on it, it just triggers an instant gag reflex soon as it goes in my mouth. I don't know why, but it's been like that since I was a kid.

Brussel F****** Sprouts - my mum made me eat 'em - they were and are disgusting and should be classed as a weapon of mass destruction IMHO.

she just can't make them ;). first steam them, then bake them in butter together with some bacon, simply to die for!

but the way i understood is, this thread isn't about what you don't want caus you don't like the taste, but things you don't want because you associate it with sth else...

i don't have that problem. a few things i don't like the taste, but i'm willing to try everything, no matter how grose it looks. the grosest things sometimes taste the best!

EDIT: 1 thing, TV saucages and the like, don't dislike the taste, but i realy can't get them through my throat
Zwan_worstjesintomatensaus_tcm166-114160.jpg

basically i won't eat meat that first went through a machine.

Can't even stand the smell of coffee, let alone the taste. I like the smell of some teas, but I still can't drink them either.

Mushrooms are my #1 hangup. Can't handle the texture, taste or smell. But I pick them wild and take them to my mother who will grill or fry them (only after I have left the house first though). And yes, she knows her mushies, so no accidental poisonings.

And anchovies. In fact, most seafood (oysters, calamari, lobster, whatever else there is). I can eat crab and some of the less strong tasting fish. Again, it is mainly the smell, and texture that put me off. But I'll eat tuna, but not salmon, so I'm also not exactly consistent either.

Mushrooms are my #1 hangup. Can't handle the texture, taste or smell. But I pick them wild and take them to my mother who will grill or fry them (only after I have left the house first though). And yes, she knows her mushies, so no accidental poisonings.

I can't stand mushrooms, if they were the last thing to eat on the planet. If they started boiling 1 second ago in the downstairs kitchen I immediatly smell it and get close to vomiting. Seriously, I stormed into the house the other day and a whole fucking pot of them were boiling in the kitchen. The result was a very messy floor, since I barfed the second I waltzed in.

Seafood is also a bit iffy for me, but I'm starting to slowly adapt to calamari and squids, although only fried in breadcrumbs ( is there a term for this ? ).

i can't eat Bananas... Apparently when i was very young i got food poisoning and also ate a ton of mashed banana's so when it all came up it left a lasting impression... to this day the smell of raw banana makes me gag. Other than that i don't really have any issues other than being very sensative to specific sourness of lactic acid so i am not a huge fan of yogurt cream cheese or vinegar by themselves

+1 for mushrooms, I would never put them in my food

I only know about these next two because of where I work but olives and feta cheese will never go in my mouth either.

I have no problem with most tomato products, but I can not eat a whole tomato. Cut me a slice from the best tomato in the world, and I'll choke on it, it just triggers an instant gag reflex soon as it goes in my mouth. I don't know why, but it's been like that since I was a kid.

Oh yeah, I also don't like eating tomatoes either. Ketchup and other tomato products, I don't like the texture of it. So, I don't order tomatoes on my burgers or sandwiches.

Last edited: