Do you think Top Gear would improve if Richard Porter wasn't behind any of the jokes?

Do you think Top Gear would improve if Richard Porter wasn't behind any of the jokes?

• Yes!

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • No!

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters

Mr. Nice

Do you think Top Gear would improve if Richard Porter wasn't writing any of the comedy/joke content?

Judging from the humor, or should I say "lack thereof," on his site sniffpetrol and how irritatingly similar it is to some of the worst episodes in recent memory of Top Gear, I am forced to conclude "definitely yes."

As we've discussed in the past, Porter isn't the only one to blame for the unfunny. But as script editor and writer of a lot of the interstitial material, he bears a lot of responsibility. There are two major issues involved in ditching him, though: who replaces him, and can the replacement get his or her material past Jeremy and Andy? Porter writes what he knows will get approved by them, after all.

The Spie has a very valid point. I can't remember what now but there was an in stance recently where it transpired Porter had said to Clarkson and Wilman that a joke or scene wasn't funny and wouldn't work and they just went ahead and did it anyway.

It can't be an easy job dealing with such strong personalities. I think the blame lies more with the fact that they started to feel they could make exactly what they wanted and it wouldn't matter. The massive backlash from the India Special (Needs) Show demonstrated that those who watch and love the show can have a positive effect. Wilman and Clarkson have both publicly acknowledged that they were totally off the mark with that one and the tone of the subsequent series was the best we have seen for a long time, with only one blip from the whole 6 show run.

If they continue down that path, and heaven knows they've got enough time this year, then I reckon the show should be good for a few more years. Top Gear is a team sport - don't hang one player out to dry.

Porter did say in an interview that Clarkson "still writes an awful lot of Top Gear."

That said, the room that is filled with those sitting around "talking bollocks and trying to make each other laugh" could definitely use one or more people who can, and please excuse the Americanism, "hit one out of the park" when it comes to making an audience laugh.

It's not very "nice" of me to pick on Porter, but sniffpetrol is largely his writing and is only occasionally funny. He may be perfectly capable of contributing good things to Top Gear, even some funny things, however, it's easy to see that if his contributions to the humorous content of Top Gear are anything like the majority of his site, the jokes are going to fail to connect with a large amount of the audience.

It must be said that with Clarkson and Wilman making the show that they want instead of the show that they think their audience wants, things will never turn out well.

The Spie has a very valid point. I can't remember what now but there was an in stance recently where it transpired Porter had said to Clarkson and Wilman that a joke or scene wasn't funny and wouldn't work and they just went ahead and did it anyway.

Also, if you remember, Clarkson stated on the website that they were genuinely proud of the much vilified "Sweeney" film. Richard Porter distanced himself from that one on Twitter. Clarkson and Wilman together are a runaway juggernaut.

It's not very "nice" of me to pick on Porter, but sniffpetrol is largely his writing and is only occasionally funny. He may be perfectly capable of contributing good things to Top Gear, even some funny things, however, it's easy to see that if his contributions to the humorous content of Top Gear are anything like the majority of his site, the jokes are going to fail to connect with a large amount of the audience.

You have to bear in mind the context. I have been known to create funny stuff alone and off my own bat but it's tricky sometimes. Contrast that with last weekend at Ringmeet - so many people there, some acting like straight men providing feeder lines and others picking up what they say and running with it or bouncing ideas of each other.

Examples:

MWF: Hey, public, check out the smoking blonde biker chick over your shoulder.

public: (looks) I think she has a little bit of a Michael Schumacher chin maybe?

MWF: Sure, but you wouldn't be complaining if that chin was nudging your balls!

and..

MWF: "Speaking of things that are missing here..."

Someone intererrupts: "Girls..?"

MWF: "No.. well, it still has tits, but I mean Ice"

......yet even then some of the funny is lost because it's out of context.

A guy on his own can't be consistently funny, especially if he can't see his audience and he just just to do his best and guess. Some of Porter's stuff on Sniff has made me chuckle and some has left me cold but how can he judge when he can't see my reaction via the web.

I think he does a pretty good job in the circumstances and considering the personalities with which he has to compete. To blame him for any decline in the standard of Top Gear is almost like blaming the guy who shouted "Iceberg, dead ahead!" for the the sinking of the Titanic.

I don't think Richard Porter is entirely to blame for the unfunny in Top Gear as of late. Obviously, a large part of the blame lies with Clarkson and Wilman.

It can't be denied that sniffpetrol is mostly unfunny and beats many dead horses to death by not quitting before they've used up any faith that the reader may have had that the text may have some kind of humorous appeal. And therein lies the problem. If things play out that way on his website, what other way can they play out when writing for the show?

The fact that Porter distanced himself from the The Sweeney episode is reassuring, as it shows that he does know what can make bad Top Gear.

I posted this video before, but it seems from what has been said here that Wilman and Clarkson play the part of the producer in this:

As we've discussed in the past, Porter isn't the only one to blame for the unfunny.

It can't be an easy job dealing with such strong personalities. I think the blame lies more with the fact that they started to feel they could make exactly what they wanted and it wouldn't matter. The massive backlash from the India Special (Needs) Show demonstrated that those who watch and love the show can have a positive effect. Wilman and Clarkson have both publicly acknowledged that they were totally off the mark with that one and the tone of the subsequent series was the best we have seen for a long time, with only one blip from the whole 6 show run.

If they continue down that path, and heaven knows they've got enough time this year, then I reckon the show should be good for a few more years. Top Gear is a team sport - don't hang one player out to dry.

Invisible :+1:s each.

I think the poll could've done with a third option: "It doesn't matter if he's there or not because it's Jeremy's and Andy's "baby" and they'll do, largely, what they want regardless."

To blame [Porter] for any decline in the standard of Top Gear is almost like blaming the guy who shouted "Iceberg, dead ahead!" for the the sinking of the Titanic.

Exactly.

And let's also remember that it's Jeremy who writes most of the script, not Porter.

He tweets y'know.....

Sniff Petrol @sniffpetrol

I've just been sent a link to a online poll and it's all about me. Yes! A dream come true! My very own poll! Oh, wait...

The voting in this poll isn't really in my favour. Dammit!

So there we are then, the results are in: Top Gear would definitely be better if I didn't work on it. Ouch. tinyurl.com/cpvlb6v

So anyway, I suppose I'd better resign then. Sigh.

I felt I had to offer some balance....

Matthew Harvey @MattHarvey1969

@sniffpetrol Don't. I've been fighting your corner since it started. TG went lame for a bit, last series back to the best. Just keep it up!

Last edited:
Lol

But seriously, don't know how much he affects TG, but I find his tweets funny :dunno: I'm also a loyal follower of GJOS :)

Haven't really visited sniffpetrol.com after the re-design(s), I just find it annoying in the blog format, having to click all the numerous "read the rest" buttons. It was nicer when there were separate "issues", all on one page.

Maybe he can convince some of his followers on twitter to sign up for Final Gear and give him a vote of confidence.

The poll certainly hasn't been in his favor thus far.

Last edited:
That's because it was pure trollbait. I don't normally post much in the TG section any more but in this case feel that someone was being set up needlessly to be made to look bad.

Now if you want to start a poll for "How much does Richard Hammond really get on your tits?" then I might react differently.

So you dislike Richard Hammond? In the Stewart Lee type of way?

Lol

But seriously, don't know how much he affects TG, but I find his tweets funny :dunno: I'm also a loyal follower of GJOS :)

Haven't really visited sniffpetrol.com after the re-design(s), I just find it annoying in the blog format, having to click all the numerous "read the rest" buttons. It was nicer when there were separate "issues", all on one page.

I'm in the same boat as you there. Sniff is great, the blog site is a bit tricky but he's funny none the less (to me).

Lol

I'm in the same boat as you there. Sniff is great, the blog site is a bit tricky but he's funny none the less (to me).

You can add me to that too. I read/listen to enough of his stuff to have a reasonably good understanding of his sense of humour (which I very much like) and I don't think many (if any) of the jokes that get complained about are his. Sure, he's the "script editor" so he could take bits out if he wanted but ultimately it is Jeremy and Andy's show and they will always have final say.

Me as well. I think sniffpetrol.com and his tweets are funny, so there's at least one American that thinks so...