Do you turn off your computer?

Do you turn off your computer?

• Hell no, my pooter is always on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Votes: 70 30.4%
  • I euthanize my computer, aka I put it to sleep every day

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • My computer is like a bear, it hibernates

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Yes, I turn my compooter off fully and start it up again the next day fully.

Votes: 101 43.9%

• Total voters
If I plan to be back within a reasonable time (an hour or so) I'll just log off and switch off the screen.

I turn it off overnight or when I won't be using it for hours though, Dad would kill me if I left it switched on 24/7 anyway.

I turn it on and off at least 5 times a day, because it's not the computer with internet access but it has all my stuff in it

Even if I usually turn it off at night when I don't need it, I specifically designed the computer I'm writing this on to be energy-efficient while powerful enough for daily needs, since it is the one I leave on when I need to. It consumes 35W at idle and 80W at absolute worst case and is the perfect machine for surfing/e-mailing/video/audio. :)

And yes, I posted this specifically for bragging about it, since I am quite proud that I managed to push a normal PC this low in power consumption. :spam:

Last edited:
Mine gets turned off when i remember to turn it off. But as I dont have a seed box it gets used for seeding when I forget. So I would say it is off 2.5 nights a week.

Hmm, I used to have my PC aka HTPC run all night, but now in the new place bedroom and living are the same, so I turn it off at night, well, mainly I let it hibernate.
For continued torrenting, I got a 100Mbit seedbox now.

I could sleep with it in hibernation if it werent for the stupidly bright blue LED Antec put in my case blinking away during hibernation, illuminating the entire room. Feels like a police car parked next to my bed.

So I turn it off.

we could do a statistic to see how often HDDs fail (i only had HDDs failing on my comp) or any other component between people that power off at night and people that run 24/7.

for startes, i power off every night, and on average 3/4 times during the day, and in a 5 years span i replaced 5 HDDs if i remember correctly

Last edited:
I could sleep with it in hibernation if it werent for the stupidly bright blue LED Antec put in my case blinking away during hibernation, illuminating the entire room. Feels like a police car parked next to my bed.

So I turn it off.

A bit of disassembly and wire snipping or even electrical tape over the offending light solves that.

I turn it off when I go away, put it to sleep when I don't. Since I've got scans and whatnot set up to go at night, I'd rather just leave it on and put itself to bed when the scanning is finished.

Woops, I forgot to add my statistic in here.

I put mine to sleep. Only if I have a torrent on, will I keep it going on in the night.

I've removed hibernate from it because I've heard it's not good for your HDD.

We were having a discussion among the IT group about this at work, which is why I brought it here. I'm curious because then I can provide tangible evidence and numbers for what people do and how people's computers fare depending on what they do.

We have a lot of computers on our network and for the most part we standby them or in the very least lock the computers (I lock mine at work). Only on Fridays, do we shut them down for the weekend (apart from the servers obv).

So far we don't see any negative aspects of doing this, but I know from going to my dad's lab (which is right next to the hospital), his computers are somewhat slowly starting to wear (well one particular one that is used frequently by the majority of the staff on the floor) at least.

I dont because of le torrent, but I turn it off maybe once a month

A bit of disassembly and wire snipping or even electrical tape over the offending light solves that.
Then my light would be broken with no tangible benefits so no :D
It boots pretty quick. But I still want Quickboot BIOS, the old in-out is the slowest in the process. Once it gets to W7 loading it's almost imminently on my desktop though.

[YOUTUBE]D5da1kmjwdM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
My computers are never off because I don't see the point of turning them off.
Plus you never know when you're going to need it, sometimes I wake up during the night and check my mails, answer to some friends on IM that are on a different timezone or I just thought of something and want to type it somewhere or need to look it up on Internet or something :-D

The eeePC is my "low power development web server" these days because I don't need to move with it so it is on all the time as well :)

It's something we all do in the family, we have an old G4 iMac that has been basically On since we got it in 2002 and it's still running the 80GB hard drive from back then :-D

Never ever.

If I'm torrenting something, I throw a jumper over my laptop so that the lights from LEDs don't get through. And try to make sure the jumper doesn't cover the vents.

The laptop spends most of its time off, though. The fan makes hella noise when I'm trying to sleep, and since I'm only using it for 25% of my day there's no point in it being on all the time, consuming energy.

This machine goes off every night (partly because I swap between 7 and XP often, mainly because my parents hate leaving things on at night, I can't blame them) but my work PC stays on 24/7 in the week and gets shut down on Friday. I just lock it in the week.

Not if I can avoid it. My main rig is also my seedbox so unless it is down for cleaning/upgrade or the power is out, it is on.

The laptop stays off though unless I'm using it.

It's never off unless I'm on vacation. It's rebooted one every week or two.

Computer always on, laptop either on or sleep (closed lid)

I'm thinking mainly of the hdd, which mostly suffers from actual aging. I've never had any PC component fail on me which I hadn't fucked up myself before. Only my harddisks got old over time, and a few of them eventually failed.

Actually, from what I understand, the hard drive gets more wear from one spin-up than it does from hours of continuous running.

I have to, because my room is small and I sleep there.
this. I'm sleeping literally 2 meters from my tower, and with 6 fans and lots of leds, it's not easy going to sleep when it is on

www.silentpcreview.com