Do you turn off your computer?

Do you turn off your computer?

• Hell no, my pooter is always on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Votes: 70 30.4%
  • I euthanize my computer, aka I put it to sleep every day

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • My computer is like a bear, it hibernates

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Yes, I turn my compooter off fully and start it up again the next day fully.

Votes: 101 43.9%

• Total voters

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Do you turn your computer off after you finish/before you hit the bed?

And reboots/restarts don't count as shut-downs here :p

Why I ask is just for statistical purposes/curiosity.

If I feel like it.... maybe once or twice a week. The netbook is never fully off, it's set to hibernate when I close the lid.

I sure do. Given I don't need it to do anything over night, I always turn it off. And I don't see why anyone would let it run all the time, since that consumes energy and shortens the lifespan of the components.

shortens the lifespan of the components.

Considering the greatest chance for any electronic item to fail is during power on, I'd say not. Assuming your cooling system is functioning well, it's better to just leave it running than to power down and back up every day.

I turn my main pc off during the night but my dedicated torrent pc has a uptime of 175 days.

Considering the greatest chance for any electronic item to fail is during power on, I'd say not. Assuming your cooling system is functioning well, it's better to just leave it running than to power down and back up every day.
I'm thinking mainly of the hdd, which mostly suffers from actual aging. I've never had any PC component fail on me which I hadn't fucked up myself before. Only my harddisks got old over time, and a few of them eventually failed.

Last edited:
Since I'm effectively on 24 hour "on call" for things (and often have to check systems in the middle of the night) I almost never turn off my laptop except when I'm travelling.

Steve

It's the hard drive that needs saving. So until SolidState stuff becomes the norm, not turning off you main PC is a waste of money. And then of course you have the electricity and energy you save by doing it. And the fact that a computer will always slow down if you leave it on for days. So for me it goes off every night.

It's a good idea as well to have a shitty torrent computer on all the time, of course...

I shut mine down at night as long as I don't have an important torrent running.

I don't see a reason to keep it on. So I turn it off completely, it only takes 30 seconds to boot up anyway.

I turn it off, except for the times i have some kinda download running.

Nope. My desktop and laptop are both on constantly because I see no reason to turn them off :p (obviously my lappy goes to sleep when I'm not using it, but it's still technically on)

so here's something for your statistic:
laptop - hibernate
gaming pc - hibernate / shutdown
movie pc - hibernate
internet pc - 24/7
router (which is also a pc) - 24/7

Last two are backed up with an APC Smart UPS 1000 and consume less than 100 W in idle...

hmm, i'll contribute then :)

laptop (my main gaming/school pc) = on when i am not sleeping. 90-100 W
"home server" = 24/7 (but try to shut it down for 2 days, 2 monht intervals). erm 80 W
mom's pc = on when she want's to do soemthing with the pc :) about 115 W.

router + Adsl-modem = 24/7 :p about 33 W.

mom's pc has ups-backup for 12 mins.
"home server" (+ adsl-mode + router + 19" crt [when using it with my laptop]) has ups-backup for 40 mins (server + net connectivity = 58 mins).

ps. CD82 nice changing signature, i liked the bf2 ver.

Last edited: