Do you watch live streams for entertainment?

Do you watch live streams for entertainment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GRtak

Forum Addict
It is as simple as it sounds, I am just curious if you watch live streaming content of any kind. If you would like to leave a comment and talk about what types you watch, please feel free.

If you do leave a comment, please include what service you watch on(YT, Twitch, Mixer, etc.), what type of content, and maybe how often.

Last edited:
Are you counting pre-recorded content, or just live streaming?

Virtually all video I watch is streaming now-a-days, except for my almost-nightly "fall asleep tp MST3K" routine.

The only thing I watch live: There's a local guitar manufacturer that hosts (almost) weekly Q&A and Factory Walk-Through videos as Facebook Live streams. I get a notification on my phone, pop on my headphones if I'm available, and let it run while I'm working.

Last edited:
Very rarely, it has to be something special. The last stream I watched was Valve's Fallout 76 build-up but that was on a second screen while I did my normal shit. I would only watch gaming streams but I can't devote hours to watching someone play, I'd rather watch pre-recorded videos and skip the boring bits and that's what I often do. Stream chat is often enough to drive you to sharp objects too...

NecroJoe;n3550571 said:
Are you counting pre-recorded content, or just live streaming?

Virtually all video I watch is streaming now-a-days, except for my almost-nightly "fall asleep tp MST3K" routine.

The only thing I watch live: There's a local guitar manufacturer that hosts (almost) weekly Q&A and Factory Walk-Through videos as Facebook Live streams. I get a notification on my phone, pop on my headphones if I'm available, and let it run while I'm working.

I do mean live streaming. I will edit the main post to reflect that.

Then my YES vote should be changed to a NO.

sports events, yes
anything else: no

the only other livestream i watch is like elon musk launching his tesla, that i watched live
for all the rest i don't have the time, the patience or the interest to watch something i don't know in advance if it's worth watching or not...

(and don't get me started on podcasts...those truely are horror!)

Occasionally. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I can listen to whatever I want during my work day. But I cannot watch the screen, so gaming streams and even sports streams are a bad idea, since I'll end up watching and getting no work done. So I tend to stick with political live streams, but only by people that I find entertaining. And they don't live stream very much during my work hours. So it's an occasional thing for me.

Ocasionally. some streams interest me. Since the death of John Bain aka. Totalbiscuit, I've been getting into the Co-optional podcast (which is livestreamed but I watch it recorded after the fact). I also listen to the WAN show (same, live but I see pre-recorded). I tried watching a gaming livestream (hosted by Dodger, one of the hosts of the Co-Optional podcast) and I didn't like it. Mostly because it seemed to be nothing more than an hour of someone thanking other people for an hour and a half.

gaasc;n3550611 said:
Ocasionally. some streams interest me. Since the death of John Bain aka. Totalbiscuit, I've been getting into the Co-optional podcast (which is livestreamed but I watch it recorded after the fact). I also listen to the WAN show (same, live but I see pre-recorded). I tried watching a gaming livestream (hosted by Dodger, one of the hosts of the Co-Optional podcast) and I didn't like it. Mostly because it seemed to be nothing more than an hour of someone thanking other people for an hour and a half.

That bothers me so much on gaming streams. Some streams are just non stop jingles, gifs and thank yous as people donate repeatedly. I guess I just don't get the culture, even if I watched someone enough to donate I wouldn't want to spam the stream with that shit.

SGDQ is going on right now (https://gamesdonequick.com/), it's an all-week 24/7 speedrunning stream run for charity. Always good to tune into every now and then, sometimes I even look for a recording if they played a game I like. I don't normally watch speedrunning but these runs include commentary which adds a lot of entertainment value.

Otherwise I watch some occasional esports on Twitch for games I play or have played but most everything else is pre-recorded, Netflix or Youtube or such. Some of these recordings can be from streams so there is overlap.

Yeah, once in a while, in both YouTube and Twitch, and content varies all the way from games I don't even play or understand a lot (League of Legends, StarCraft 2), to others I've played (Fortnite), racing simulations (mostly Jimmy Broadbent), and some other non gaming related stuff like programming live sessions etc.

gaasc;n3550611 said:
I tried watching a gaming livestream (hosted by Dodger, one of the hosts of the Co-Optional podcast) and I didn't like it. Mostly because it seemed to be nothing more than an hour of someone thanking other people for an hour and a half.

Don't watch bad streams then. Dodger is particularly bad, it seems to me that people watch her for her looks (although it's been a year, maybe two since I dropped by her stream).

Of course this is a matter of taste. Personally I watch streams to take in new strategies and ways of thinking about games that I'm playing. And it's hugely important that the broadcaster has a nice personality, broadcasting voice, equipment etc. To name examples, Trumpsc and Firebat are good Hearthstone streamers, Hotform has more variety (lately been playing Fallout 4 survival difficulty which was kinda fun to watch), and yesterday was watching Fitzyhere's Overwatch stream for the first time, a grandmaster Sombra player - immense skill - playing OW's new hero on the beta realm.

Last edited:
I listen to streams.

Podcasts are a bit different for me, as I don't buy a lot of games and the ones I do are quite old (For reference, the last games I've played are BioShock 2, Portal Stories: Mel, and Limbo). So any streams I watch I am actually learning about what's new out there and trying to make sense of it. same with the WAN show and tech. Dodger's stream was useless for that. It doesn't matter how much she has a voice made for radio, it is all rather useless to me if all I get is "X, thank you for the six months, Y thank you for the three years and for inviting Z. Z, welcome to the cat gang." and variations thereof for most of the stream intersected with five minute sections of her speaking about games or her kid or whatevs.

Last edited: