Doctor Who

my old RTD weariness is kicking in and i'm just waiting for him to start messing it up again.
Sometimes it seems I'm the only one that likes RTD's stories (and I like all Torchwood seasons - the have some weak eps, of course, bvut overall they're all good). Come on guys, he can't be that bad of a writer if you all followed his Dr. Who stuff for four seasons.

Sometimes it seems I'm the only one that likes RTD's stories (and I like all Torchwood seasons - the have some weak eps, of course, bvut overall they're all good). Come on guys, he can't be that bad of a writer if you all followed his Dr. Who stuff for four seasons.

Don't get me wrong. i do appreciate what RTD did for Doctor Who. He was able to bring the series back and make it credible. The first two series were among the best of his work. But Series 3 and 4 of his work frequently used plot threads. The Season 3 finale is the best example of that. He does great work, he just uses the same methods and plot mechanics all the time. I'm just hoping that Miracle Day gives him the chance to do something different and not balls it up.

Don't get me wrong. i do appreciate what RTD did for Doctor Who. He was able to bring the series back and make it credible. The first two series were among the best of his work. But Series 3 and 4 of his work frequently used plot threads. The Season 3 finale is the best example of that. He does great work, he just uses the same methods and plot mechanics all the time. I'm just hoping that Miracle Day gives him the chance to do something different and not balls it up.

RTD deserves a lot of credit for revitalizing the franchise, but honestly his storytelling style gets tired and repetitive, much like Gene Roddenberry deserves credit for creating Star Trek, but was otherwise kind of a negative influence for more sophsticated, modern storytelling when it came to series like the Next Gen, and only non-involvement due to his passing allowed for a darker, edgier, and well written series like DS9 to come about. Something he would have never allowed if he was alive.

Now I'm not asking RTD to drop dead, thats ridiculous, but I was very happy when the showrunner reigns were handed over to Steve Moffat. I loved his eps in the past and I'm loving the job he's doing right now.

So I just watched the first episode of Children of the Earth. I love it.

Did someone put RTD in reverse? Usually he fucks things up at the end not saves it and the end.

I finished Children of Earth. It is as good as the previous shows were bad, fucking fantastic.

going to watch TW: Children of Earth later today. Had the DVD of it for ages but never got round to watching it. So will probably watch all 5 episodes in one go tonight.

going to watch TW: Children of Earth later today. Had the DVD of it for ages but never got round to watching it. So will probably watch all 5 episodes in one go tonight.

Both Torchwood season 2 (seen season 1 already) and CoE have been sitting on my netflix streaming queue for months, need to get off my behind and finish those.

Both Torchwood season 2 (seen season 1 already) and CoE have been sitting on my netflix streaming queue for months, need to get off my behind and finish those.

exactly the same for me. i've already seen Season 1 of Torchwood. i had seen a few episodes of Series 2 but for the most part it was left untouched. i've ended up skipping those and gone straight to CoE. Really glad i have, just halfway through Episode 3 and its bloody brilliant. Enough to say that i'm willing to take back some of my comments about RTD. If Miracle Day is as awesome as this, i'm in for a good 10 weeks.

CoE stays good to the end. I think I'll wait to the end of Season 4 before I watch it (I'm not a fan of watching weekly cliff hangers).

Finshed watching all of Torchwood: Children of Earth last night and bloody hell was it good! I am honestly surprised at how good it was since i was expecting it to tail off. The scene where they are all sat in the PM's office and begin talking about how to deal with the 456's demand is bone chilling stuff. How RTD managed to write that and pull it off but its the standout scene for me.
The only thing that bugged me was seeing Peter Capaldi playing John Frobisher i kept expecting him to go into Malcolm Tucker mode and start swearing his head off.

There's one scene i enjoyed more than anything else and its this from the start of Day Five.

The loss of Ianto wasn't surprising since i knew it was coming, but it was incredibly well acted by John Barrowman and Gareth Lloyd.

Really good and glad i watched it all in one go.

just watched 4x02: Rendition, still good and enjoyed it. Looking forward to next weeks where it seems to be really advancing the plot along.

EDIT: also found this earlier. normally i hate this song and the artist, but on this occasion. i'll let it pass.

Last edited:
Dear TV writers:
We really don't need ridiculous stuff like
mixing an antidote from hydraulic fluid
or whatever. You have awesome characters, use them accordingly and you will fill up the screen time quite formidable without such nonsense. And if what I put in that spoiler was possible, you made a very poor job in making me believe it.

Apart from that, good ep, but not as good as the first one. Felt a bit like a filler.

Dear TV writers:
We really don't need ridiculous stuff like
mixing an antidote from hydraulic fluid
or whatever. You have awesome characters, use them accordingly and you will fill up the screen time quite formidable without such nonsense. And if what I put in that spoiler was possible, you made a very poor job in making me believe it.

Apart from that, good ep, but not as good as the first one. Felt a bit like a filler.

Yeah i thought that as well. If anything the episode felt like a bottle show, most of the episode was based on the plane and its my hope that the reason for this is that they spent some of the budget on later episodes.

but my old RTD weariness is kicking in and i'm just waiting for him to start messing it up again.

You know, I love RTD stuff or so I thought, but I find myself watching Torchwood and thinking "Yup, here comes the Russell crazy over the top plot stuff" and I'm not sre if I dig it :?

So it looks like someone flicked the "Brilliant" or "shit" switch on RTD again. Sorry, but way too much exposition. Some god awful acting from the minor characters. The dialog is pretty stale as well. All well at least it is watchable, hopefully it will improve.

Oh and...

Last edited:
Yeah i thought that as well. If anything the episode felt like a bottle show, most of the episode was based on the plane and its my hope that the reason for this is that they spent some of the budget on later episodes.
In other series, some of the best episodes were bottle shows, DS9's "Duet" being the prime example. Don't let RTD off the hook that easily! ;)