Doctor Who

Viggen

Car(s)
12 VW Golf GTI
I don't think there are any threads on this, but I must say that I'm hooked to the new Doctor Who series. I remember watching some episodes of classic Who (mostly with the first Doctor) and admittingly poking fun at the cheesiness of the sets and stuff, but the stories where pretty good. Yet my interest in the show is growing and I'm gathering much more info about it. Doctor Who may be huge in the UK, but it's not exactly a household name here in the US and has been a fixture on PBS weekend evenings for years.

Anyway, three episodes of the new series has been aired so far and while the first episode got-off to a slow start and the second episode was pretty good, last week's episode (The Unquiet Dead) is IMO the best one so far. Christopher Eccleston (he played the villain who punched Nicholas Cage in Gone In 60 Seconds) fits in pretty damn well as the ninth Doctor. Too bad he decided not to come back next season. Billie Piper, with her pop-star roots (her presence is largely non-existant over here) didn't do too shabby either as the Doctor's companion.

This week's new episode (Aliens of London) looks very promising, so can't wait to catch it on Saturday.

Can you give me a short plot? I've seen it around on the bt sites, but don't have any Idea what its like...

Buba

I tried watching the first one, but it was boring and weird.

I've never really been a fan of UK dramas. They're structured weirdly (kinda seem to be slow paced and just... odd, I dunno how to describe it) and stuff from what I've seen.

I've seen al three episodes so far and I'm beginning to like it. I have to agree with you, it started a little slow, but the last episode was very good.
Way better than all the Holywood streamlined mystery shows like lost. They're to streamlined and miss the witty humour Dr.Who has.

ESPNSTI said:
A new Dr. Who? :shock:

Definitely. It's the first new series since it was cancelled back in 1989.

I like it a lot, though I though the second episode was rather weak. The third made up for it though, it really evoked the Tom Baker era feel, reminding me of such stories as "Talons of Weng-Chiang", "Pyramid of Mars" and "Horror at Fang Rock" but with modern production values.

Can't wait for next weeks episode... "Dalek" :shock: . The teaser for it looked very cool. :evil:

Last week's episode (Aliens of London), well, I'm not sure what to make out of that one. Slow-paced and a bunch of silliness in some parts. The farting alien gags were pretty damn tiresome when once is just enough. The one with the pig I found pretty hilarious though.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the cliffhanger, and I'm downloading this week's new episode as I type.

I'm really anxious to see that Dalek episode as well.

Edit: The BBC recently confirmed that David Tennant will replace Christopher Eccleston as the tenth Doctor for next season.

I'm not really a fan of this kinad stuff. But i must say I enjoyed watching the series so far.

The current actor as dr who is doing a good job i think.

It's funny, me and my mates always moan about how it's not as good as older ep's. But we still watch it every week :). I really enjoyed the darlek episode.

It's annoying me, they keep going on about the time war and I know nothing about what happened. Any one know?

Tom Baker will always be the best doctor as far as I'm concerned. Look past the crappy makeup and sets and you have some dam good stories

Alright, I know this is an old thread...but I didn't find anything more recent.

Just watched the first episode of Season 3, it was pretty good. Although I miss Rose.

Alright, I know this is an old thread...but I didn't find anything more recent.

Just watched the first episode of Season 3, it was pretty good. Although I miss Rose.
I watched all of the first and a chunk of the second season when it was on Sci-Fi and I didn't like that they already changed the Doctor and now Rose is gone. Overall they are on the cheesy side and the special effects suck, but the storylines are actually pretty interesting.
I hear the old Doctor Who's were several times better, but to my knowledge I can't get them on DVD. It's the longest running Science Fiction show (1960's to late 1980's) so I have a lot to get caught up on, but I'd still like to start.

I loved the other Doctor Who, and glad he has found a place on Heroes. But the other guy is pretty good too. We'll see how long he stays around....

I believe netflix has the older ones on dvd.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. loved this first ep, and i'm not really too bothered about the changes. i don't see how the special effects suck, i thought they were good... couldn't help thinking those rhino guys looked like zone troopers with their helmets on :lol:

I actually rather like the current doctor. And his new assistant is pretty nice, too...

I loved the other Doctor Who, and glad he has found a place on Heroes. But the other guy is pretty good too. We'll see how long he stays around....

I believe netflix has the older ones on dvd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doctor-Who-vide...90098407143QQcategoryZ309QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Found those, only $1255.99! And you get a VCR! The original Star Trek and Twilight Zone DVD's sell well, why not release Doctor Who.

The special effects aren't god-awful, but some of the creatures just look silly and cheesy. I get the feeling that the show is supposed to be for little kids as well as older viewers, this kind of gets in the way of the plot in the first season. Plus it's hard to keep up because Sci-Fi plays episodes well after they air. I was getting used to Eccleston, then he's gone. I was getting used to Rose, and now she's gone. Hopefully this new duo will be good.